Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #1
Silent Thunder

Default satellite installation

I am debating on up grading my TV antenna to the newer version HDTV for about $65.00. If anyone has done this any comments would be welcomed.
I also am considering satellite. Question is since my motor-home does not currently have this would I mount it where my current antenna is and use that coaxle cable or does it mount in a totally different spot on the roof and I will have to figure out how to get the wire into the cabin?
Silent Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
Restorium

I switched to a dish many years ago. The same dish you use at home. I mount it on the ground. It's fun learning to find the satellites to point at. They have those new ones that automatically find the satellite for you.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Silent Thunder

Thanks I'm deciding between digital TV, Satellite or WiFi TV.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Restorium

Digital just doesn't compare if you like sports.

WiFi you are dependent on your host.

Satellite you have all you want and are independent.

Turn it on and off, around $60 a month when you need it.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Silent Thunder

I like velocity, History, Fox news, msnbc, TBN.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Sudsy

Default I Have Both

I use a Dish Network "Tailgator" for satellite TV system with a $99 Dish receiver (can't remember the model). We have Dish at home and we can activate the coach on month at a time for $7 per month. It has the advantage over the roof mounted antennas that you can get out from under the trees. I can go 150 feet from the coach to get a shot at the southern sky.

As for the DTV antenna I installed a "Jack" DTV antenna last year. I didn't do my research well enough so I have the antenna mounted on the original "crank up" mount. It uses the 12dc from the old system to power a built in amp in the antenna. DO NOT TRY TO USE BOTH There is a kit that removes the entire crank up antenna system and replaces it with a "Jack" that has a rota-tor and a built in signal strength meter. You can tell if you have a signal without even turning on a TV. I also uses the 12Vdc from the old antenna system again disable the amp in the wall but still send the 12Vdc to the antenna. I think I will buy the newer mount for mine.

BTW You will see a lot of negative reviews of the Jack antenna. Mine works great. I am a retired Electronics Tech with over 45 years experience.

Sudsy
Old 07-24-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I use a Dish Network "Tailgator" for satellite TV system with a $99 Dish receiver (can't remember the model). We have Dish at home and we can activate the coach on month at a time for $7 per month. It has the advantage over the roof mounted antennas that you can get out from under the trees. I can go 150 feet from the coach to get a shot at the southern sky.

As for the DTV antenna I installed a "Jack" DTV antenna last year. I didn't do my research well enough so I have the antenna mounted on the original "crank up" mount. It uses the 12dc from the old system to power a built in amp in the antenna. DO NOT TRY TO USE BOTH There is a kit that removes the entire crank up antenna system and replaces it with a "Jack" that has a rota-tor and a built in signal strength meter. You can tell if you have a signal without even turning on a TV. I also uses the 12Vdc from the old antenna system again disable the amp in the wall but still send the 12Vdc to the antenna. I think I will buy the newer mount for mine.

BTW You will see a lot of negative reviews of the Jack antenna. Mine works great. I am a retired Electronics Tech with over 45 years experience.

Sudsy
I would have the Tailgater too but I'm cheap and the regular dish is about $250 cheaper.
Nice to know that an addition dish added is only $7.
I've been activating just the one for about $60 a month.