Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
JIMNINA

Default Yellow Stone Roof Leak

I have a 2003 Yellow Stone and have a roof leak and like most roof leaks are very puzzling. Currently the RV is parked listing to the drivers side of the coach and about level front to back. I have resealed the seams and the leak is still around. The puzzling thing is that even though the RV is listing to the drivers side the water seems to be coming into the passenger rear and right down the inside of the back wall. If it rains hard enough the water actually comes out of the passenger rear ceiling speaker.
I resealed the ladder as well as the seams.
Any help would be appreciated.
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
jpf

Default Re: Yellow Stone Roof Leak

on another rv I had water running down the inside of the ladder at the roof. it was at the elbows where the aluminum parts joined together.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
RayChez1

It could also be the square seal at the bottom of your air conditioner. The air conditioner has four bolts that you have to re-tighten every so often. Water leaks are very hard to find. Do you have the all fiberglass roof or rubber roof? I have the fiberglass roof and I had eternabond applied a couple of years back. I was afraid that too much climbing on the roof to apply Dicor once a year might get a little rough once a person starts to get up in age. So I had the eternabond applied.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
JIMNINA

I believe the roof may be fiberglass, it appears to be like a gel coat finish similar to a boat.
I applied Eternabond around the ladder support on the roof, the rear cap area, and the opening where the back-up camera wiring is. It did rain some last night and at first glance it did not seem to leak in the bedroom. Of course the amount of rain might not been sufficient enough, only time will tell.

I will check the A/C unit just to make sure.
Thanks for the responses.
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
RayChez1

Jim, I forgot to mention that the four bolts for the air conditioner, you tighten them from inside the coach. Remove the vent on the ceiling to get to them. Then tighten them, but don't over do it. You do not want to break something by over tightening the bolts.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
GULFSTREAMER37

I chased a leak also in the front of my Crescendo, turned out to be the front AC unit, tightened the bolts and no more leak, but you must be careful not to overtighten them as it can distort the unit and make the fan blade hit the case.

Ted.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
neondon

2004 Friendship 41' pusher. Roof leak in heavy rain, dripping from seam in ceiling vinyl, 3" long, over TV opening-wetting carpet after dripping on switch console to right of driver. Pressing and sliding a finger toward that opening produces a drizzle of a tablespoon or two of water from the sponge foam ceiling backer. I suspect and will replace the front A/C seal. Another probable cause is minor cracks in the fiberglass roofing. The low areas of the front corners of the roof have been sealed with silicone, then covered as well with self-leveling caulk from a caulking tube. Two runs around that air conditioner with self-leveling, for about 1/4" was also applied. I need to replace that old seal, and inspect the actual A/C condensate drain path over the roof, making sure I didn't block it. Caulking was done around antenna, vent, and other openings as much as possible. The motorhome was jacked level when first notice occurred, but now sits nose low about 1/4" per foot.
After using a dry paint roller against the ceiling to push water toward that exit point, and finally using a shop vacuum cleaner crevice tool for an hour, no sign of liquid water remains at that point. That paint roller treatment seems to have located the wet ceiling area forward of the front air conditioner, so that new seal, on order, or the suggested careful tightening, may be the solution.
Is that Eternabond material available in wider tape, or a liquid? I sure would like to get it DONE. The drying out process will still take weeks with a blower and dry air. That blower, along with some soapy water spray over the roof, may show bubbles where the leaks are...
neondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
Sudsy

Default Check the clearance lights.

I am changing my coach over to all LED lighting. I noticed that the clearance lights that had been sealed at the factory looked like the sealant was cracked and dried. So I popped them of, cleaned them up and resealed them and reinstalled. I didn't have trouble at the rear but I did have a leak on the drivers side front clearance light. Now they just leaked around the screws and filled the lenses up to the point that it could reach the bulb and leak into the coach. This was happening in the rain and got worst if you were driving in the rain. I changed the entire fixture on each of the five front clearance lights. They are sealed LED units that shouldn't leak like the others. Hard to explain but thew bases seal to the roof and then the lenses fit with a screw but not so tight as to seal. This will allow any intruding water to evaporate instead of growing green slime.

Sudsy