Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
RogerSpence

Default Info on 2008 Yellowstone

Hi All, new to this board, wish to become an RV'er, after years as a sailboat owner.

Seriously looking at 2008 Yellowstone's, all with 360 Cummins 40 ft., and low mileage.
Very little info on the build of Gulfstreams, although it appears that they have an OK quality reputation,
but without dealer support and lousy customer service. But the used market has interesting pricing.

Some questions for all you experts!

1. Roof - is it fiberglass or rubber in 2008? Has anyone had any leak problems?

2. Tires - I've been told that RV tires rot from the inside out. If this is true, should I be
concerned with 5 year old tires that only have 10,000 miles on them? Is there any telltale signs
of outdated tires from the outside?? (Vehicles are in the southwest, so they go through lots of sun/heat.

3. Parts - I assume that all of the chassis, mechanical, electrical, plumbing systems, hardware are off the shelf OEM
units, so parts should be available. My concern is with crash and body parts that were manufactured by Gulfstream!
Does anyone know whether GS still stocks Class A parts, or has the molds and tooling to replace their in-house parts??
How much of a PITA, and $$$ to get replacement GS specialty parts?

4. These low mileage units, are located in the southeast, and they have had very little use in the past few years.
Given that, does it make sense to have the fuel polished before a road-trip, to be sure that the gremlins don't clog the fuel filters???

5. How is the best way to find a competent RV Surveyor for a pre-purchase evaluation of the vehicle, and how much should that cost?

Thanks so much for your expert advise and suggestions. I'm sure I'll conjure up more questions, but I really appreciate your input.

Roger Spence
Rockport Texas
RogerSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Info on 2008 Yellowstone

Have you physically looked at the coach?, or are you looking through the internet of coaches for sale? The YellowStones used to have a rubber roof back in 2004, but you are looking at a newer version 2008 so they might have gone to fiberglass. As to answer your question about tires. It is true that tires on RV's should be changed out at five to seven years from the stamped date on the sidewall of the tires. I bought mine new in 2003 and I am going on my third set of tires. Mine have lasted around five years, then they start checking on the side walls. Small cracks cause by the sun, some call it SUN ROT. I live in the high desert section of southern California so my coach does get lots of sun.

As far as to getting chassis parts, that will be no problem since most chassis on all coaches are pretty much standard equipment. Cummins, Cat or Mercedes engines with Allison transmissions. Now if you have a head on collision I am sure they could replace the front or rear caps, but not through Gulf Stream since they got out of the mechanized division and are building only fivers and travel trailers. Many companies dropped off during the great recession. But every time I have needed to buy a part for my coach I call Gulf Stream and they will give me the vendors name and phone number to get the part.

Now back to the roof. If you are looking at the top of the coach, you should be able to tell right away if it is rubber or fiberglass. Rubber roofs are like a soft material membrane, while the fiberglass is hard and when it rains you can sure hear the rain drops. Rubber is real quiet when it rains. I had rubber on my gasoline coach and fiberglass now. Never had any problems with the rubber, did have a small leak on the fiberglass where the front cap meets the top roof cover. I bought Eternabond tape and applied it to all the seams on the roof. That way I do not have to worry about ever having a leak again. Or the trouble of getting on top to caulk once a year.

The most important part where you need some expert to check out would be the engine and transmission. I think that probably a diesel repair shop can check those components for a small fee.

Check the slides to see if they work flawlessly and that they are sealed when closed.
Test drive the coach to see how it handles. Mine is as smooth as glass on the freeways.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
RogerSpence

Ray,

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

I've been shopping off the internet, my first visit to a coach will be in a few weeks, then off to Houston in early March.

One of the units I saw on the net has a large gooping of caulk around a rooftop hatch, which looked very unprofessional, which led to the rubber/fiberglass concern, as well as leaks.

BTW, has anyone tried that spray rubber in a can adverted all over the net, in white, black, and clear? Flex-something??

Thanks for the info on crash parts. With what I've learned about GS aftermarket service, I'm glad that their crash parts molds appear to be in 3rd party hands.

Well, with the age of the original tires, I guess I'll have to price new tires into my offer decisions. Hate to spend the money!

Any thoughts about eliminating possible bio-growth from the fuel tank???

Thanks Ray.

Roger Spence
Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
RayChez1

There is a possibility biogrowth could happen if the coach has been sitting for years. Most of the time this happens if the tank is only partially full. But again we are just assuming something like that could happen. Maybe who ever owned the coach before added some stuff to the diesel to prevent such a thing from happening.

The only way to find out is to fly to where the coach is and physically check it out, take it for a good twenty mile drive and if it has any bio-growth in the tank, it will plug up the filter right away. Same with the roof, get on top and check it out yourself, check the walls for water stains if any. Check records if any from the previous owner as to how often he changed the oil and filters. Check the fan belt for cracks on the inside of the serpentine belt. check all fluids. Check your levelers to see if they work flawlessly. Dump the air to see if the dump valve is working the way it is suppose to. Check to see if the air dry filters have been changed. Most east coast coaches require air dryer filters to be changed more often then coaches in the dry climate states.
Don't buy something over the internet without physically looking and testing them.

I have had real good luck with my Gulf Stream Scenic cruiser. Only major problem I have had through 60K miles was the Huei fuel pump failed and was replace under an extended warranty I had. Other then that it has been a great coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
RogerSpence

Ray, thanks again.

Hadn't thought about the serp belt, but thanks, as it's a major component.

My wife is going to check out the first one, to see whether the layout, etc. are up to her standards, and to look for flaws.

If momma approves, then I plan to get a full professional surveyor inspection of the unit. Hopefully for less than $500; then I'll fly to the unit, for my final approval.

Also hope to get an engine oil sample for professional analysis, both for problems, and to baseline the engine.

If not up to expectations, we're on to the next one.

Ray, thanks for your help!

Roger Spence

PS: Any recommendations for the toad towing mechanism?. Will be towing a Honda CRV automatic, 2Wheel drive.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
RayChez1

Roger, I tow a 2013 CRV-EX which is the two wheel drive, but I have used the Blue Ox Aventa II on all my toads that I have had since I bought the coach in 2003. The Aventa II is rated at 10K lbs which makes it a heavy duty tow bar. I like it because it stays mounted on the coach when you arrive to your destination. I personally do not like the tow bars that stay mounted on the front bumper of the car because if you happen to bump into anything, you will probably ruin the tow bar by bending it. And it also looks ugly in front of the car.

I used my Blue Ox tow bar and base plate on a Ford Ranger, then a Honda Pilot and now the Honda CRV. I highly recommend Blue Ox because they stand behind their product.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
JIMNINA

Roger,
I would make sure all of the maintenance was completed and good documentation. Unfortunately I learned that by experience. I bought a 2003 Yellowstone last year with only 40K on it. Turns out the owner had not changed the air filter and the engine was sucking in dirt and trash. Ended up costing about 18K to fix, Engine, Head, and Turbo. While up on the lift getting the engine replaced I was able to go over the under belly of the coach very well and I have to say that Gulf Stream seems to have gone above the call of duty putting the coach together, seems very solid. We are in the midst of ripping out the carpet and installing vinyl planking and again the construction of the interior is very good. Like RayChez said the chassis, engine, trannies are proven to be good but the over all construction is what you worry about. It appears that Gulf Stream did a good job at this also. We would definitely buy a Gulf Stream again, if they still made them .
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote