Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default Batteries - which ones do what?

We bought a 2008 Tourmaster last year. After two extended trips this year we noticed that the system was showing the batteries had discharged overnight. That seemed wrong so I had the batteries checked, all 8 of them! I ended up replacing two of the six volt batteries in the front and one 12 volt battery in the compartment behind the passenger side rear wheel. All 8 batteries now check out well when load tested. My question is: Which batteries do what? i.e. I think the four 6 volt batteries in front start the generator but what else do they do? That seems like a lot of battery power just to start a diesel generator. In that rear passenger side compartment the four 12 volt batteries seem to be matched as pairs. From what I can tell, two of them are for starting the Cummins diesel engine and the other two supply power to feed 12 volt lights and appliances. Is that correct? How can I tell which does what? Finally, what source charges which batteries? Where does it show the charge state of each battery "set"?
wmsfw1@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Batteries - which ones do what?

The front mounted 4 batteries that are 6 volt golf cart style are charged from and operate the heavy duty Inverter can run the refrigerator and other 'necessary' loads when you are not connected to shore power. Charging occurs when the shore power is connected, and they are used by the inverter when no shore power or gen-set power is present. On my coach these batteries also are used to start the gen-set, since they are located right next to it.

The four 12 volt batteries in the rear side compartment are in groups of two -- a pair are the House Batteries that operate the 12 volt lights and appliances (like the original bedroom TV -- I replaced mine with a 120 volt larger screen full HD one...) and those are charged from the 12 volt converter under the bed. The second pair of 12 volt batteries are the engine starting ones for your diesel engine and should be the physically larger of the ones in that compartment. In the factory configuration of my coach, these are ONLY charged from the engine alternator -- I added a float charger off shore power because I live in the coach and don't drive it very regularly.

Now a word about replacing only SOME of the batteries at one time... Lead acid batteries charged in parallel are a tricky business to begin with and can be much less effective if the manufacturer, type or even age of the two are a mis-match. Because of that, would suggest replacing all four of the 6 volt batteries at one time (they are connected in series parallel to make two stacks of 12 volts each...) Similarly, you should replace both house batteries at one time. You can separately replace both diesel starter batteries at a different time from the house batteries, but again as a pair for the starting group itself.

Recently the September 2014 issue of MotorHome magazine and the August 2014 issue Family Motor Coaching magazines have helpful articles on this topic, and a generic web search on charging RV batteries in parallel will also be helpful.

Post back with any questions you have on the above...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
tarheel

Chuck did a good job of describing the battery setup in the Tourmaster. Additionally, of the 4 12V batteries in the back, the top two on my coach, and I assume on yours, are the chassis starting batteries and the bottom two are for your house 12V. As Chuck stated, I would not change only one of the house batteries.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
[email protected]

Thank you Chuck and Tarheel for the information you provided. I suspected what you told me was the case. My only comment now is that changing all of the batteries at once on the RV could be EXTREMELY expensive . With the four quality 6 volt batteries, two Optima blue top 12 volt chassis batteries, and two quality 12 volt engine batteries I'm looking at $500 + $500 + $250 = $1250 minimum. I have decided to stick with what a rigorous test shows and keep the batteries that are working fine, keeping a close eye on them.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
tarheel

When you replace your 4 inverter batteries, you might want to look at increasing the size of them at that time. I assume you have a bar across the top that pivits the cover when it is opened. If your 08 has that also, you are restricted as to how big a battery you can install. I had my Club Car golf cart distributor buddy install mine and he was able to increase the size, but had to keep them under the bar. The bigger batteries have worked very well for me and given me more charge time. I went from the Trojan 105 to their 125 model and the cost at that time was not much more.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Chuck v

I also believe that the biggest golf cart batteries that will physically fit are the 125 AH...but the increase in capacity is worth the small increase in price. One thing that you want to watch out for is the style of 6 volt battery that has a 'ganged' or even one piece vent cover for the cells, as there are so many heavy cables in that area that it may be difficult to take anything larger than a single screw cap off the cell top to add water. The last time I replaced my inverter batteries, I also had a single-point watering system added. This allows you to pump distilled water from a reservoir into the batteries until each and every cell is topped off. Considering how the Inverter/charger tends to charge and equalize the batteries regularly such that water is lost, keeping the fluid up is the most important part of battery maintenance for this system (keeping the connections clean, coated and free of corrosion is a close second...)

You can get these watering systems at most golf cart shops and even at camping world:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... stem/27035

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
[email protected]

Thanks for your suggestion Chuck, it's such a good one that I have been using that "watering system" since day one on the Tourmaster and, before that, on out previous 1995 National Dolphin.