Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
PierreM

Default Vista 19ERD

We just bought a Vista 19ERD and it will be delivered in May 2015. Had been shopping for some time and determined that the layout was optimal.
Now looking for a TV: Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Acadia, Hyundai Santa Fe XL. Tough choice!
PierreM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
cankicker

Default Re: Vista 19ERD

Welcome!
I purchased a 2013 Pathfinder with tow package (5,000 lbs) for my Vista 17 RWD. I also added a WDH and anti-sway which seems to be perfect for what I have. I get an average 13 MPG and the 6 cyl does not strain too much going up hills.
I had wanted to buy a 19 RBS, but would be too close to the limit with all the food, clothes, equipment, etc. so I stayed with the 17 since we don't spend much time on the road and camp for a few days here and there.

I would purchase as big and as heavy as you can afford, and highly recommend a V8 with factory tow package and AWD or 4WD. My next vehicle will be a Tahoe, Yukon, or similar.
Here is an interesting article from AutoTrader on older vehicles than can save you some $ if you have not bought a new TV yet: http://www.autotrader.com/research/arti ... -20000.jsp

Newer SUV's are becoming more passenger carlike, and losing weight for better fuel mileage. The tradeoff is that the lighter the TV, the more the tail wags the dog when towing and encountering cross winds, 18 wheelers, bad weather, etc.

BTW, I just want to mention where I bought my TT in case anyone else is in the market. They sell out their inventory very fast. Here is an example: http://www.ohrvs.com/rv/findlay+/gulfst ... iser+19erd
I looked far and wide, and found this place to have the best price anywhere. Their service was also outstanding. I traveled 9 hrs each way from MD to OH and saved a lot of $$$ compared with buying locally. I just couldn't get a deal near me.

John M
Rockville, MD
2013 Pathfinder with Tow Package
2015 Vista Cruiser 17RWD
cankicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
jeg1944

I pretty much agree with cankicker about the TV. I tow a 19 ERD with a 2009 Nissan Exterra V6 which is rated to tow 5000 lbs. I only use a sway bar right now but looking at getting a WDH. Only problem I've encountered has been the afore mentioned tail wagging and alot of this is due to short wheel based TV. I would recommend Tahoe or Dodge for that reason alone. Fuel mileage is gonna suck anyway and not much difference in V8 or V6, gonna get around 12 to 14 MPG no matter how you go. Hope this helps. The ERD is a great lay out. We went from a 17 ft Casita just for the walk around bed and have not looked back. I did install a 3 in lift kit but just my preference for body height. Enjoy!!
jeg1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #4

Jegg 1944,

The 19ERD are quite heavy on the tongue. Just get a wdh and make sure it will be very well tune and you will see a world of difference.

BTW, I get around 13,5 L/100 km with my Touareg TDI (V6 turbo diesel) and my 19ERD behind.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
cankicker

Jeg,
Could you tell me how you like the lift kit?
I have been considering one since I do mostly boondocking, but afraid the extra height will come with wind issues. Most concerned with any lift under the frame at highway speed.
Right now my TT travels smooth and straight until an 18 wheeler passes by, then my TV feels the tug.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
jeg1944

Cankicker,
I have not noticed any adverse towing effects from the lift kit. The wiggles and waggles are still the same. And appearancewise it is practically unnoticed, unless you look closely at tire to body or from step to ground clearances, then you can see the extra clearance.. I'm really happy with the results. I plan to go with a slightly larger tire when they are due. It still won't clear a 15 in wheel and tire, but should be able to swing a bigger 14 in tire. If you scan back a few posts you can see the problems I had with getting the kit,etc and the part number. Good luck. BTW do you use a generator when you boondock and if so where is it mounted?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
jeg1944

Claude B,
I agree on the heavy tongue weight and plan on getting a WDH soon. Appreciate your input. If my conversions are correct you get about 17.7 mpg US. That's awesome, but diesel is more expensive than gasoline here so it pretty well works out the same in the wallet.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
cankicker

When boondocking, I use mostly my 100w solar panel to keep the battery charged. We bought it on Amazon and works great: http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Foldable-S ... s=renology
Since all the lights are LED and we use propane for heating and cooking, we haven't needed to use our generator although we take it with us empty and would get fuel if needed.

The generator (Ryobi RYi 2200) is stored in a stainless steel utility box very similar to this: http://autoplicity.com/products/9-dee_z ... 7AodeFkAqA

And is secured on a cargo carrier similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Folding-Carg ... dc&vxp=mtr

The cargo carrier is connected to the rear bumper using the Hitch as described by RinconVTR: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3753

This way, all the fumes, and any spills are outside. We could also carry a bike rack instead of the cargo carrier/generator.

I really wanted to use a trailer tongue box like this, but I would have had to relocate the battery. Additionally, since our TT's come with dual propane bottles, there is even less room on the tongue frame: http://mudflaps.com/i-8190567-owens-450 ... 7AodMkEAPQ

JD
Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #9
jeg1944

Thanks a ton. I appreciate the info. Now I have several winter projects and all my Christmas gift ideas!! For myself! LOL
Old 10-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
PierreM

We finally decided on a GC Diesel to pull our TT. Looking forward to May!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #11

Hi Pierre,

You will LOVE to tow with a V6 turbo-diesel.

Congrats !

BTW, I always add fuel additive at every fill up. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula And Lubricity Formula and that, especially when traveling in USA. The fuel available in USA do not respect the Europeen standard of 460 microns (HFRR test). Their standard is 520 u (less lubricant) and this is hard on the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump).
Old 11-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
PierreM

Thanks for the tip.
Will put it on my "To Do List" when traveling South of the Border.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
cankicker

Quote:
BTW, I always add fuel additive at every fill up. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula And Lubricity Formula and that, especially when traveling in USA. The fuel available in USA do not respect the Europeen standard of 460 microns (HFRR test). Their standard is 520 u (less lubricant) and this is hard on the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump).
Absolutely true.
I purchased in 2009, a new Jetta TDI (prior to my new RV passion). At 26,000 miles it died on the road. Luckily it was under the 36,000 mi warranty and I had it towed to the dealership. They kept it for a few days then notified me that the HPFP had shredded inside, and metal shavings had contaminated the entire fuel system. They said they did a fuel test and found regular gas in the tank and therefore the warranty was void, and would not cover the $6,000 repair cost. I knew this to be a huge lie since I am the only one that ever drove the vehicle and I am a retired mechanic knowing better.
I did some searching on the internet, and found many other owners with the same issue (and VW was handing them the same line that they had contaminated the fuel).
I wrote to VW of America with a cc: to the Attorney General of MD, the BBB, and my Attorney. A week later I recived a letter form VW agreeing to fix it under warranty. I dropped it off at the dealer, and two weeks later (on a Friday), I drove it home. Saturday morning I traded it in for Toyota.
To date, I have not heard of a recall, or official fix, but many claim that a diesel lubricity additive would have prevented my situation, but VW will void any warranty if additives are found in the fuel. Go figure.......
Check to see that an additive will not void your warranty before using it.....
Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #14

Misfueling is always a possibility and not your mistake. The truck driver who deliver the fuel could fill up a diesel tank with gaz. It did happen. That is why I always put a few drops and remove the nozzle and smell the tip. Diesel is diesel and gaz is gaz...

For the fuel additive, I can get Stanadyne Performance Formula at my local VW dealer with a VW OEM part number. So there is no warrenty issue with it. And I use it (Peformance and Lubricity Formula) for both my TDI (2012 Passat and 2013 Touareg) driving in Canada or USA.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
PierreM

What should I be looking at in terms of WD hitch for the Vista 19ERD? Is 400-600 lb sufficient? That is what the dealer suggested back in October. We will be taking delivery in late May or early June. I will be towing with a GC 2014 Diesel.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #16

Hi Pierre,

I do use a Eaz-Lift WDH with 800 lbs bars and it work perfectly. My Touareg TDI is in the same class of vehicule of your GC diesel.

400 - 600 lbs bars will be to soft. Remember that the tongue weight of 19ERD when loaded is between 600 and 675 lbs.

I did use this method to measure my tongue weight :

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/tongueweight.html
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
philorion

Claude B,

I am curious as to how you arrived at 600 to 675 lbs. for the hitch weight on a Vista Cruiser 19ERD. The dry hitch weight is listed as 380 lbs. and according to DOT regulation 571.110 that includes the weight of the empty propane tanks. Adding 40 lbs. to fill both propane tanks brings it to 420 lbs. With a good quality 12 volt Trojan brand battery you will add around 60 lbs. That and a battery box makes it approx. 485 lbs. Only additional added weight might be due to a powered tongue jack.

Unless you are loading all your food, clothes and accessories on top of the bed or in the front storage compartment I am not sure how you have a hitch weight of more than 485 - 500 lbs. Adding water to the tank puts most of the weight over the axle and very little is transferred forward to the hitch. A WDS with sway control like the Reese 66558 or Equalizer 90 00 0600 with 600 lb. bars should be sufficient for the 19ERD.

I believe you could approach 600 lbs. if you used two Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries in series (120 lbs.) instead of a single 12 volt battery along with something weighting an additional 50 - 60 lbs. in the lower front storage compartment. Am I missing something?
philorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #18

Hi Philorion,

You know, there are DOT regulation and Gulf Stream product reality.

I do have a gr 31 battery and two 20lbs propane bottles on the tongue and no power jack. However, you must add the weight of the stuff that you put in the front storage compartment (pieces of wood for leveling the TT, water hoses, electric extension, some tools etc.) and what you put under the front bed. In my case, I do put my small Colemen stove (2 burners) and my Weber Q100 portable BBQ and some minor items. And we do store our clothes in the front cabinets and wardrobe (where else can we put it ? ) My fresh water thank is under the front bed but it is always empty when traveling on the road.

Next time you load your TT, put all your clothes in a basket and weight it. You will be surprised especially if your are leaving for a long trip like I will tomorrow (8 weeks to Florida) .
Old 03-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
philorion

Claude B,

Many thanks for the explanation. I can see now how you would begin to approach the 600 lb. and higher hitch weight. Enjoy the trip to Florida!
philorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
jeg1944

FYI Y'all, I just returned from a 3000 mile round trip from east Texas thru AL, SC, NC, DC, VA TN and AK. I have a 19 ft ERD and tow with a Nissan Exterra using a WDH and Sway Bar. First really LONG trip in the Visa. Left Tire is wearing dramatically on the inside edge and cupping. Right side is good. In Va and TN the wind vitually blew us off the road as in trailer oscillation so bad that we nearly lost it intirely in Knoxville. I'm thinking that a single axle TT is a bad idea! I love the trailer floor plan but can't deal with the wiggling I'm up grading to a double axle as soon as I can find one. I understand that Gulf Stream has changed the design to double axles. Mine is a 2013 per title. Had a Casita prior to and not real impressed with the Visa quality. Also I have upgraded to a Ford Expedition as a TV.