Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
pastordug

Default Post Trip Issues w/pics

So just got back home after our one night trip to "test" the waters before our month long this Thursday. I have had this Coach for about 3 months. Have operated jacks and slides. I have also had Coach serviced last week at Certified FreightLiner shop locally. Here is the issues I had.

1) Jacks would not extend
2)Slides would not extend
3) Water heater switched on but red light saying "no pilot" would not go out.

Here is would I found in the pubs I have. First the jacks. It talks about having full battery charge. CHECK. It also talks about Drivers seat switch. CHECK. Finally it mentions a BREAKER. This is the problem as I have not been able to locate this "breaker." The pics might help someone identify it? But I am lost.

Slides: I have no clue. It did talk about several switches but I think it is tied somehow with the jacks not having hydraulic power.

Hot Water Heater: Again I have no clue. Talks about not having a pilot. It does say something about "reset button on ECU" but don't know where or what that is.

Been a fun couple of days!
I have a 2004 GulfStream Crescendo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0519.JPG (136.6 KB, 1488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0521.JPG (142.5 KB, 1488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0524.JPG (136.7 KB, 1488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0531.JPG (69.2 KB, 1488 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0534 (1).JPG (143.7 KB, 1488 views)
pastordug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Post Trip Issues w/pics

Thanks for the pictures, they help a lot!

The last two pictures are the ones we need to look at to find the 50 amp breaker for your hydraulics. In the next to the last picture the typed labels are a map to the components located around it. There are three square black components with large red cables just 'below' that map relative to the correct-reading text orientation and the right hand one of the three is the Hydraulic system breaker. You can just see the word 'hyd..." on the third line of the right lower map label -- the first two lines look to read '50 AMP' and 'Breaker' as best as I can make them out.

Check to see if that breaker is tripped and reset it. If you have a voltmeter, you can verify that there is 12 volts on each terminal of this breaker...if tripped it would not have voltage on the terminal farthest from the map nameplate.

It also appears that the "Coach Battery Disconnect" red rotary switch at the left of the map nameplate and the "Chassis Battery Disconnect" on the other side are both presently in the OFF position -- we presume you had these in the ON positions for the functional tests you made.

Does your coach also have the electric water heating option? (it looks as if you do from the AC breaker panel labels...) When you were checking out the gas water heater, did you happen to verify that the stove burners could be lit? I ask this second question to check that the valve on the on-board propane tank was indeed open.

In the earlier pictures, the one of the inside breakers show that they are all related to the shore power AC loads and not part of your described symptoms.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
pastordug

Thanks Chuck. Yes I turned the battery switches off after all my test. As for the heater I actually fired up the stove to make sure there wasn't air in system then tried the hot water switch again only to see that RED light!
As for the breakers those are the ones I thought. I reset them several times. At no time had any of the tripped. I will take a volt meter to them and clean some of that corrosion as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
pastordug

Update. Just went out with meter and checked batteries and those breakers. All are getting 12.89 volts. So I have attached a pic of the panel itself. I read about checking a "green" wire but when I looked behind panel there was no green wire? I'm getting there but it is going slow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0534.JPG (143.7 KB, 1470 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Chuck v

As to the water heater -- on my coach there are two switches (one for the gas fired heater and another for the AC electric hot water heating element...) The gas heater rocker switch turns on the DSI (Direct Spark Ignition...) and a small red LED will light in a few tens of seconds if the gas burner does not light. A separate lever switch with a neon indicator is found on a home style wall plate for the electric hot water -- it looks just like a light switch, ivory in color...that plate's red light stays on as long as the switch is on and the shore power (or generator) is supplying AC to the coach.

Which of these two switches and associated lamps are you describing?

Chuck

Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Chuck v

By the way, my levelers will not operate unless the parking brake valve is set (my unit has air brakes...) AND the ignition needs to be on. With a gas coach, I would presume that the transmission would need to be in PARK, so maybe that position sensor switch is not working as it should...

Chuck

Old 03-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
GulfStream1

A Crescendo is a diesel pusher Chuck. It could also be a FRED, but still a diesel. Gulf Stream manufactured both.

I notice that some of the wires have corrosion. That is very unusual for corrosion to be in that compartment.
GulfStream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
Chuck v

Thanks,

Wasn't sure of the power plant in that model and year of coach, but the block heater breaker in the AC panel should have been a clue to me... oh well.

Chuck

Old 03-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
RayChez1

Pastordug: I notice on picture number four from the top that the wire has lots of corrosion on both ends of that wire. I was wondering if maybe you should take it off and clean the corrosion off with a wire brush or with emery cloth so that you can have good continuity. Maybe that is your problem as to why the slides and levelers are not working. Water must have gotten to those wires because it is strange that corrosion is showing on the picture.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
pastordug

Yeah I saw that also. The issue was a broken ground wire INSIDE the hydraulic pump!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
Chuck v

Glad you found it -- kind of a hidden fault.