Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
1999 Sun Voyager

Default 1999 Sun Sport - Electrical Issues

We are new...so please be gentle?

(1) Electrical issues began with the hydraulic leveler lights coming on while driving, but when doing a visual, the levelers were not down. Pushed "Emergency" button, then "off", then "on" to make sure the lights were indeed off & back to "off". (It happened once again when it was only idling, while parked.)
(2) Today we could not get the RV to start at all (Friday no problem)..and noticed the panel by the entry door, where we turn on the batteries, was "on", when it had been "off" when we left it three days ago. (The other thing we did on Friday was to turn on the furnace for about ten minutes.) We could not turn these switches to the "off" position today.
(3) Today when we tried to jump start the new engine battery, but it was draining as fast as it was charging.
(4) Today when looking at the house batteries, it appears the front one (puffy sides) was defective & we also thought maybe it was hooked up wrong but cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere to say for sure. (It has the short cables so am assuming it is not a parallel hook-up?) Only worried because there was a short black cable just lying beside the front battery.

There are so many places to start, but with this site FULL of experienced RVrs, I am hoping somebody has an idea of where to start??? We are replacing the one house battery with the puffy sides, hoping that will be it. ... Thanks ...
1999 Sun Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: 1999 Sun Sport - Electrical Issues

The levelers have a limit switch at the base. I suppose you have the BigFoot levelers. The switch might need adjustment so that when the levelers are retracted, it pushes the switch in and the panel light will turn off.

Is your motor home a diesel or gasoline?

The big toggle switch at the entrance controls all your DC power inside the house part. We never even touch that switch. If you want to turn off the power off for the winter, go to the two toggle switches in the passenger side towards the rear compartment. One is for the chassis and the other is for the house. But that is on a diesel like mine. That is why I asked if it was diesel or gasoline motor home.

I am kind of confused as to why all of a sudden you think that the wiring on the batteries is wrong. Did you just purchase this motor home?
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
1999 Sun Voyager

Thank you Ray....Got it...for the levelers. (Yes, Big Foot)

The switches near my entry door are the same as you described in your rear compartment. When looking at the manual it says those lights will not go off when the batteries are depleted below a certain level.

Our RV maintenance guy says the batteries are wired wrong, but when I looked online...I saw two different configurations & the guy we bought the motor home from had no problems. Makes me a "little" worried about the RV maintenance guy.

Vehicle is gas & recently purchased from long time owner who's wife is now too ill to travel. He gave us maintenance records & I don't see anything about oiling the levelers as the manual says is required.

This beautiful RV is our biggest & nicest ever owned. It seems to have every bell & whistle possible....some are new to us.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
RayChez1

Default Re: 1999 Sun Sport - Electrical Issues

The levelers if they are Quadra by Big Foot do not need to be oiled. I have had my coach now since April of 2003 when I purchased it brand new. I have never ever lubricated the rods on the levelers. Now if you are going to be stationary for a long period of time on a climate that has lots of moisture, THEN I recommend for you to buy a silicone lubricant and spray the rods, other then that it is not necessary. JMHO!

So if you have a gasoline motor home you probably have one chassis battery and two house batteries and they probably are up front some where. My last gasoline motor home the batteries were under the stairs to get into the motor home.

The coach I have now has six batteries: four for the house six volt batteries and two twelve volt batteries for the Caterpillar engine.

If you have two six volt batteries on your house batteries they are probably wired in Series to get 12 volts. One wire from battery A is connected to the NEG and the other end connects to battery B on the positive. NEG on battery B connects to Ground. POS on battery A connects to circuit to house giving you twelve volts.

If you have a smart phone just ask google on the mic to show how batteries are hooked up in Series.

Now if you have two twelve volt batteries then they are probably hooked up in parallel since you already have twelve volts which most coaches have in their circuitry power on the house. Parallel hookup is positive to positive from one battery to the next and NEG to NEG. Then the hot wire to the source from the positive post.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
1999 Sun Voyager

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! It is indeed stored in a wet climate (Oregon).

I tried to include a pic of the battery, because I can't tell if it is a 6 volt or a 12 volt. It's a "220AH Deep Cycle" which is Greek to me. (The pic file is too big in attach.)

I appreciate you taking the time to help & we feel comforted that this Owner's Forum exists. (I've already used it for an electrical issue, which turned out to be me...not noticing that the bathroom had a wall switch to turn on the electric.) Yeah, we are REALLY green! (You can quit laughing now.)

J