Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
ToddPet

Default How to level a Gulf Stream Friendship G7

I recently took ownership of a 2004 GS Friendship G7, so naturally I have many questions. My first is how to level it, particularly if I have just been driving the RV and there is air in the suspension, do I need to dump the air or wait for it to bleed out before levelling? Or does the air automatically get released during the jacks levelling?

I believe I am also not suppose to turn the engine on when the jacks are down?

Finally when the auto level is complete the bubble levels in the rv indicate that the front is typically higher, up to a foot, than the back. What is the cause of this? Is there some way to reset the system so it knows what level is?
ToddPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
Frutza

Yes, lower suspension, then level, I leave the engine running during leveling and you can run engine while on jacks, but releasing the parking brake will start retracting the jacks, I can't help you with the auto leveling part but I'm sure there's a way to calibrate.
Good luck, have fun
Old 06-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
ToddPet

Thank you for your response. To clarify, to lower the suspension I slide that switch next to the levelling panel to lower, otherwise keep it in auto if I'm driving? About how long does it take for the suspension to bleed out, is there some indicator to let me know that is complete? Could my levelling of the rig be off because I try to level shortly after parking without giving the air suspension a chance to lower or bleed out?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
JIMNINA

On our 03 Yellow Stone DP it takes about 10-15 seconds for the air to dump and yes it is the switch next to the panel. It should be able to here the air release and when it stops the air is dumped. Your height level might be off or the level might be. We use bubble levels to check for the correct levelness.
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
ToddPet

Thank you for the confirmation about lowering the suspension. I'll check with the manufacturer if there is a way to reset the levels.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Here's the Recalibration procedure that is for our 2004 Gulfstream Yellowstone with the Power Gear Auto leveling system.

I had to use this procedure one time after we first purchased the coach, after that it was right on level every time.

T.I.P. Troubleshooting Information on Power Gear1217 E. 7 th Street Mishawaka, IN 46544 Phone: 1-800-334-4712 1-888-339-2539 Fax: 574-256-6743 AUTOMATIC LEVELING SYSTEM SET-UP & RECALIBRATION PROCEDURE Note: The following set-up and recalibration procedure is for control 500630 (used with touch pad 500629) Zero Mode: Zero mode is the mode the user must enter in order to reprogram a new zero point. The zero point is the stored level position—the orientation the control sees as level. Zero mode is indicated on the control touch pad by all LEDs flashing. If the control is in this mode already, you can skip the recalibration procedure and move straight to the set-up procedure Recalibration Procedure Follow this procedure to enter zero mode: 1) Turn the ignition on and the touch pad on 2) Push the front button 5 consecutive times followed by the rear button 5 consecutive times within 10 seconds • All of the LEDs on the touch pad will begin flashing. This indicates that you have successfully returned the control box to zero mode Set-Up Procedure Follow this procedure to reprogram a new zero point (stored level position): 1) Place a carpenter’s level on the floor in the center of the coach 2) Manually level the coach: • Push the front button until the jacks contact the ground • Push the rear button until the jacks contact the ground • Push the left and the right button to verify that all of the jacks are on the ground • Using the carpenters level, complete the leveling process manually by pushing the appropriate buttons on the touch pad 3) After it has been verified that the coach is level, the zero point can be set • Push the retract button three consecutive times (the new zero point has now been set) • After the retract button has been pushed three times all of the LEDs on the touch pad will stop blinking except the On/Off LED • The On/Off LED will flash for 20 seconds. This mode is prompting the user to tell the control if the chassis has an air bag suspension system • If the chassis has an air bag suspension system press the RETRACT button again three times within 20 seconds of the time the On/Off LED starts blinking • If the unit does not have an air bag suspension system DO NOT TOUCH ANY BUTTONS within 20 seconds of the time the On/Off LED starts blinking

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

(Best way?) to set bubble levels is stove top or oven shelves, if you plan to do any cooking, and we assume it was properly leveled when installed?
Old 06-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
mhhorowi

We have the exact same coach. It takes about 20 secs for the air to bleed out. You want to level after the suspension is lowered, otherwise you will loose air pressure and be out of level in no time. We find that the lack of individual adjustment of the leveling legs is somewhat of a challenge on very sloping terrain. We try to avoid this situation when at all possible.
mhhorowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
boatguypat

Default Auto Level Troubleshooting Guide

This document may be useful.
boatguypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #10
ToddPet

I’m currently on a trip and I am experiencing the same problem I had two weeks ago even though I brought it to Freightliner to fix last week. Sometimes when I’m taking a tighter corner at slow speed‘s on unlevel ground The air suspension seems to drop and my tires are not clearing the fenders. As such they are rubbing against them. Minor damage has occurred due to this. Has anybody else experienced this? Any solutions?
Old 08-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
UAHaerospace

while I don't have your model coach, my Palazzo on the Freightliner XCS chassis has a similar 'AUTO/LOWER' air bags lever...which is designed well and is very useful.

First, regardless of whether you leave the lever in Auto, or in Lower mode, when you put the coach in gear, the air bags will automatically start inflating, if they aren't already, to keep the coach from moving very far with the bags deflated. If you've ever 'felt' that, you'll know why - it would be a very rough ride, if not.
So, your air bags should inflate no matter if you remember to move the lever, or not.

For leveling: When we arrive, and know that the coach is positioned correctly, I simply pull the lever to LOWER to deflate the bags and 'sit' the coach down on it's frame. This give the coach a lower stance, and allows the leveling legs not to have to travel as far to reach the ground. The lower the coach sits, the easier it is to 'level' it, and the more stable it will stay - less movement while you are in and out and moving around.

Do you HAVE to lower the bags in order to level the coach? No. It's a personal decision, and neither is 'right' or 'wrong'...there may even be times when you want to do it one way versus the other, it's just an owner's choice.

Second)
RETRACTING: What I've found, though, when getting ready to leave, and retracting the leveling legs, is that sometimes the coach will want to 'bounce' DOWN when you hit the 'RETRACT' or 'All Retract' mode. Maybe this doesn't happen to some coaches, but with ours, it can be quite a ride down, bumping and jerking the whole way!
What's happening is that the hydraulics are just not able to 'smoothly' handle the weight of the coach as the legs retract, probably because it retracts much faster than it extends.

HOw to minimize this? I've found that simply pulling the air bags LEVER toward LOWER quickly, for only a second, allows enough air to leave the bags so that they now have more room to 'cushion' the weight of the coach while it rides down.
And, another option is to use the MANUAL mode, pushing the RETRACT for only a second at a time, which can also help, especially in situations where the legs are extremely extended.

Third) sometimes, after you've deflated the bags, and leveled, especially if you level with MANUAL mode, and the coach is not raised very far, when you get ready to leave and inflate the bags again, the legs are no longer on the ground, and retracting is smooth and easy. No issues. I, personally, believe that the AUTO Leveling mode simply puts the legs out too far, farther than they really need to be to be level. If you practice, you can probably do it better, easier, and more quickly, yourself.

I have the LCI Lippert Electronic Leveling system

: )
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #12
ToddPet

Thank you for your response. I’ll give your suggestions a try. I still find that if I’m at a site with unlevel ground and the front end is higher than the backend that I can’t level because my back jacks don’t seem to give me enough lift. Do you find the same?

The other issue I’m experiencing with my bags is that when I’m driving and the bags fully inflated when I go to park, depending on the terrain, they sometimes drop the air on the one side too much and the tire rubs against the wheel well in some cases damaging it. I’ve already had it in the shop to fix this, but I’m currently on a trip and the issue seems to persist. Have you had any issues with tire rubbing against the vendors?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #13
rwc

On My 04 G7 there is a switch on the left under the drivers window. This must be pulled back before you start leveling. You must remember to push it forward before trying to move coach or wheels will not have clearance and damage will occur.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #14
aakanksha5

Yeah, even I Am struggling with the air suspension drop and this resulted in my tires damage. If anyone of you shares info about this I would be grateful.
aakanksha5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
ToddPet

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one with the air suspension dropping issue. Though I’m sorry you have to go through it as well.

When the issue became known to me I brought the RV to Freightliner and they installed a height adjustment valve for the front air suspension. They then adjusted it so that more air would be in the front end. They also suggested that when I prepare to leave that I wait a while so that there is sufficient time for air to fill the airbags. I usually wait to leave after my airbrake compressors start unloading it’s air. To be honest I’m not sure that that is the issue. Because usually by the time the air has fully charged up my airbrakes the ride height has clearance between the tire and the fender.

I recently came back from a trip, and despite the work being done, the issue seem to persist. This happened a couple of times when I was on uneven ground making slow turns. I became quite concerned when I stopped to fill up for diesel and I noticed that my passenger side wheel was a couple of inches The fender line. As well a flat metal bar from inside the wheel well was bent right up against the top side of the tire. Thankfully there was some mechanics working nearby and they bent the bar back enough so my tire wouldn’t rub against it and I was able to drive towards there shop. When they took a look at the RV on their level ground it looked fine. They increased my ride height by 1 inch using the adjustment valves that were installed a couple weeks earlier. I did not have an issue throughout the rest of the trip.

Another mechanic suggested to me that I should check that the wheels that were replaced a year earlier to make sure they were the right size. He said that he has seen in some cases that the wrong wheels were installed and height clearance became an issue. So I checked the wheels and they were the recommended wheel size. He then suggested if the issue still remains that I could install a smaller wheel and gain an inch of height clearance. He felt that a 1 inch smaller wheel wouldn’t result in any driving control issues.

Another suggestion he made was when preparing to leave make sure that your brakes are fully charged up, then release the parking brake, press down on the foot break, and wait a while. He said additional air will then fill the air suspension. At that point Wen can pull forward.

However, the issues I experience are generally not upon start up but after I’ve arrived at my destination and I am on uneven ground. Which of course usually you experience when you get to a park. I just don’t think one should have to worry about wheels rubbing up against fenders whenever you try to position yourself at a park.

I would sure like to hear if anybody else is experiencing this issue and has found a solution. Or whether this is just a normal thing to be expected with this coach.