Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
tevz32

Default Furnace won't start

On a shake down cruise in our 2003 BT 5211 to Michigan's Upper the early mornings were a little cool. The furnace started and performed great two times. The third time and since it will not start or run. I can find no blown fuses or tripped breakers. All other electrical functions work fine. Stove works fine. Ideas?
tevz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevz32 View Post
On a shake down cruise in our 2003 BT 5211 to Michigan's Upper the early mornings were a little cool. The furnace started and performed great two times. The third time and since it will not start or run. I can find no blown fuses or tripped breakers. All other electrical functions work fine. Stove works fine. Ideas?
To get a better idea of what is going on;
There's a sequence.

The thermostat gives the signal to heat.

The fan comes on first.

Then the gas comes on and ignites.

Do you hear a click from the thermostat when it energizes?

Does the fan come on?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
tevz32

Cool

Restorium, I do not hear a click, and the fan does not come on. There is no response when switching to "furnace". The AC comes on when switching to "cool" when I am plugged in to shore power
Old 08-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Restorium, I do not hear a click, and the fan does not come on. There is no response when switching to "furnace". The AC comes on when switching to "cool" when I am plugged in to shore power
So the thermostat does work and has 12 volt to it. You eliminated a few things by reporting on the AC.
But no 'click' when you lower the temp on the thermostat into the range that would energize the heater?
I would confirm that by trying it a few times.
If there is no 'click' at all as you lower the temp while the heater switch is on then it seems like it must be the thermostat is malfunctioning. Maybe the heater 'on off' part of it. Try switching that part back and forth a few times and see if anything changes. That part wears out because it is one of the moving parts that gets used a lot.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
tevz32

Cool Furnace

I tried turning the furnace switch and fan switch on/off several times. Nothing happens. I took the furnace outside cover off and checked the wiring connection with a test light and did not get a signal. I suspect it is the thermostat. I think I will consult someone more knowledgeable than me(my son) thanks for your suggestions
Old 08-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #6
BT5210

Quote:
as with all electrical, 12v,or 110v...you have to confirm the obvious ,if the fan motor doesn't come on, you have to use a test meter to see if it's getting power..if not then see why by tracing back to power source.. could be as easy as the wire came loose at the motor,.. I've had to change out the fan motors before, but usually they run slow and make noise....it's the same process as starting a car... you turn the key and nothing happens, to do a diag. you have to go to the source of power. .and find out what you have, and what you don't..
BT5210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
tevz32

Cool Furnace won't start

My son, who is more knowledgeable about these things, believes it is the relay board in the overhead fan compartment. I have bought this item as well as a thermostat. We will be testing this week. I'll let you know the results. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
Restorium

Quote:
My son, who is more knowledgeable about these things, believes it is the relay board in the overhead fan compartment. I have bought this item as well as a thermostat. We will be testing this week. I'll let you know the results. Thanks for your help.
No 'click', it's the thermostat since you already know it has 12 volt to it. Very simple.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
KRoseVideo

Quote:
The furnace in our 2004 BT5211 drinks propane. Your comment that the furnace worked great two times suggests that you need to get propane. We find that we can heat our unit with a tiny ceramic heater plugged into the 110 outlet with the generator running for a short time. We have lots more gasoline than propane in our unit and we need propane for refrigerator and hot water and cooking.
KRoseVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
tevz32

Restorium: You were right of course. It was the thermostat. Thanks for your help
Old 08-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
Restorium

Quote:
Restorium: You were right of course. It was the thermostat. Thanks for your help
You're welcome. Thank you so much for reporting back. Makes my day!