Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Jeremy75

Default Switch Functions

Just purchased a 2020 Vintage Cruiser 23RSS and got it home yesterday. We can't seem to figure out what two of the switches do in the unit.
First, there's a cluster of three unlabeled switches right inside the door (next to awning and slide out controls). The left switch turns on most of the overhead lights, the right switch turns on the awning lights, but the middle switch seems to do nothing, inside or out.
Also, there are two switches under the cabinet above the sink. One turns on the lights above the cabinet, but the other one, again, seems to do nothing.
Hoping someone can help. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190817_201756.jpg (313.5 KB, 9 views)
Jeremy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
Flower

It may be the switch that lights up the steps upon entering camper. It is not very bright but at night you should be able to see the steps light up in the day time you will not notice it.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
UAHaerospace

generally, you will have a Use/Store switch by the entry door, allowing you to 'disconnect' the batteries when you are storing the unit and not using it, to minimize battery draw.
Some call this the 'salesman's' switch, since the dealers will use it to save battery power while the unit sits on the lot. They can also turn on all the light switches, but switch this switch OFF when stepping out of the unit - which means that when you return to 'show' the unit, this one switch re-energizes all the other switches and lights so that they all come on at the same time.

(the steps entry light, if you have one, should always come on whenever the screen door is opened - it has no switch)

As for the other switch below the kitchen upper cabinets, it may be for the water pump.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAHaerospace View Post

(the steps entry light, if you have one, should always come on whenever the screen door is opened - it has no switch)
Ours has a switch.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #5
Jeremy75

Got the switches figured out. They really wired them up goofy. The switch inside the door DOES control the step lights, but only if the cabin main lights are on. So, if I want to leave the step lights on when I leave, I have to leave the main cabin switch on and switch all the cabin lights off manually.
The other switch under the cabinet turns on the speaker lights outside, but again, only if the switch next to it is on for the kitchen lights. Silly, right?
Good thing is, I’m a retired Navy electrician, so it shouldn’t be hard to do a bit of rewiring! Thanks for the replies!
Jeremy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy75 View Post
Got the switches figured out. They really wired them up goofy. The switch inside the door DOES control the step lights, but only if the cabin main lights are on. So, if I want to leave the step lights on when I leave, I have to leave the main cabin switch on and switch all the cabin lights off manually.
The other switch under the cabinet turns on the speaker lights outside, but again, only if the switch next to it is on for the kitchen lights. Silly, right?
Good thing is, I’m a retired Navy electrician, so it shouldn’t be hard to do a bit of rewiring! Thanks for the replies!
Good work.
Yup. Lots of opportunity for improvement on wiring and switches.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
jol

As we used to say, Battery and Ground, Tip and Ring, Light no light wait forget the last one either there is light or not no ground. The wiring is really odd, I wanted to put the bathroom switch for the fan on a wall switch so my wife would not have to call me to reach it. Pull out light switch four wires so battery and ground theory in effect, yep break them up add a switch two wires hooked up and a ground lights good, hook up other wire a ground and now fan is on switch. This was on a 19RBS.
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
jol

Oh yeah added some LED's to step light blue and one LED not so bright.
jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
JamesS

The outside speakers also have lights. One of the switches may be for them.
JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
RayChez1

Reason why they do that is to save you from walking back and forth. You can turn on what ever inside, then on your way out you can turn them off right at the entrance to your trailer. I have same thing through out my coach. I can turn on the water pump in the bathroom and turn it off in the kitchen. Same with the fluorescent ceiling lights. You can turn them on right at the fixture or you can control them with another switch in the galley. Same for the compartment lights, you can turn them on in the entrance to the coach or you can control them individually in the compartment. Only danger with those is if you are not using the coach and you are not hooked up to AC power, leaving a light or lights on the compartments will run your batteries down.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
Bill Nicholson

I believe the other switch in the kitchen is for your hot water heater.
Bill Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #12
Chelvis21

Default 3 switches inside door

I have a 2017 vintage cruiser 23rss. The 3 switches right inside the door all have a function. The farthest away from door is main lights in trailer. The middle is awning LED. The switch that seems like it does nothing is for the steps. If you turn it on and look underneath trailer by the steps, you will see a little light. Mine is blue. Hope this helps. Also the two light switches under the cabinet above sink is for kitchen lights by upper cabinets and outdoor amber light below awning just right of door. Happy camping!!!
Chelvis21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, switches