Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #1
Loner

Angry 98 Sun Sport 454 Chevy GMC 12V ISSUE Again

My fellow friends. The trying to be a troubleshooter is back. Haven't give up yet but close. Sitting for a month with shore power, will crank but will not stay running unless i press and hold the battery switch. I have replaced both batteries, generator, fuel pump. Two switches inside entrance suppose to light when things work normal one lights the other don't. ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED. I do own and know how to use a Volt Meter.
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Restorium

This shouldn't be too hard.

Let me get this straight;

Are you saying that you have to hold the battery connect switch down to get it to crank the starter over?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #3
Restorium

Here's what I think the problem is;

You have to push the switch to crank it. When you push the switch it connects the two battery systems. This is supposed to happen when you turn the key on also. So you have a blown fuse in the ignition to battery solenoid connection. The fuse is in the fuse box down by the driver's feet. Change out that fuse and your batteries should connect when you turn the key.

On top of that problem you have a draw on your engine battery. Over time it goes dead.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Loner

Key turned on in ignition no volts on meter, i press and hold the dash switch that joins chassie & coach batteries together i get a 12V reading and the engine starts. If i release the switch the engine stalls. As long as i hold the switch down the engine will run.
At the side door entrance is a BATTERY DISCONNECT panel with a COACH & CHASSIE switch. When i turn the coach switch on it lights up, when i turn the chassie switch on nothing happens, it did light up when i first got the camper.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:05 AM   #5
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Key turned on in ignition no volts on meter, i press and hold the dash switch that joins chassie & coach batteries together i get a 12V reading and the engine starts. If i release the switch the engine stalls. As long as i hold the switch down the engine will run.
At the side door entrance is a BATTERY DISCONNECT panel with a COACH & CHASSIE switch. When i turn the coach switch on it lights up, when i turn the chassie switch on nothing happens, it did light up when i first got the camper.
Well then I nailed it! Fix the circuit from the key to the transfer relay. Most likely that fuse I posted about. Then find your draw on the starting battery.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
Loner

25AMP Heater fuse blown only no others, replaced, no fix. Thanks i will work on circuit to transfer relay when it warms up a bit.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Quote:
My fellow friends. The trying to be a troubleshooter is back. Haven't give up yet but close. Sitting for a month with shore power, will crank but will not stay running unless i press and hold the battery switch. I have replaced both batteries, generator, fuel pump. Two switches inside entrance suppose to light when things work normal one lights the other don't. ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED. I do own and know how to use a Volt Meter.
Most vehicles have a RELAY that is energized by the IGN switch, and controls POWER TO those (required items); IF (during battery change out) you did not miss reconnecting a smaller wire to the battery, then I suspect you have a BLOWN FUSIBLE LINK? This can be a wire that looks like an insulated wire, but insulation will look wrinkled/ overheated if blown; or it can be a bolt-in/ screwed down mounted fuse? (Might) even have a RESET button, but many do not? Did anyone cross jumper cables during previous problems?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #8
Loner

I did all the jumpering and do not remember cross jumping, i don't think i did. Thanks for the info i really need all the help i can get. The closest Tech that will come out is 78 miles away and i simply cannot afford. About the fuses;; I found 2 in line both were good. They are two on each solinode all good, i did meter them not just look. I will look more closely tomorrow, they are so many wires under the stearing wheel and the hood that i am very confused. Thanks for hanging in here with me i know i can do this with all you'alls help
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
Restorium

Quote:
Not much wrong. No fusable link problems if it starts. What you are describing is simply a discharged cranking battery and a blown fuse from the ignition.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:57 AM   #10
Restorium

Find the solenoid that clicks when you press and hold the battery switch. Find the white wire that leads to it. This wire should be energized any time you turn the key. There's a blown fuse in that circuit.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #11
Loner

OK great short in wire from solinoid. NEXT: How to switch from shore to generator. Generator runs great is there not a switch somewhere that i must through to generator power. Now nothing works. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
Loner

OK you great helpers, i bow to ask another help issue. Generator comes on runs fine. No power to anything, can't find a switch over switch, the Bluebirds I owned had one. Any ideas????????
Old 06-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
Chuck v

The generator to shore power automatic transfer switch on my coach was under the bed near where the shore power 50 amp cord bay in the basement was located. Your coach may be a bit different of course...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
Loner

Hey Chuck thanks a lot. I found it. It is directly inside the storage space for the shore cable. Actually it is a female 30 amp receptical. I saw it many times before but i though that was for a buddy connection as my bluebird had on it. Maybe this will help others.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
Restorium

Glad you found it.

Yes, on our older models we plug in shore power to the generator recptical in the compartment next to the generator.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #16
Loner

OK you wonder helper people out there, next and i believe final problem. Air conditioner, weather on generator or shore power it will start up but in a while it trips breaker, fan does not work just on fan. thanks good people
Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #17
Restorium

Quote:
OK you wonder helper people out there, next and i believe final problem. Air conditioner, weather on generator or shore power it will start up but in a while it trips breaker, fan does not work just on fan. thanks good people
Does the fan come on right away when you turn on the air conditioner?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Loner

no fan never comes on even when i select just fan
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #19
Restorium

Quote:
no fan never comes on even when i select just fan
The same fan that cools the compressor blows through the vents.
So that would be why the breaker is getting blown. Don't run it without the fan or your compressor will burn up.
First check and see if you can spin the fan blades.
If they spin freely then it's most likely the capacitator.

Tags
air condition problems, electrical