Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
strider

Default Newbe

So we're picking up our Amerilite 238 this week and this is our first trailer, what do I need to bring and know for our first camping trip? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Frutza

Note pad & pen, sewer hose and gloves.
1st overnight in the driveway one night, then a close to home site, check air psi in tires, tow mirrors, 1st aid kit, sanitize wafer holding tank,
You'll figure it out as you go
Old 05-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Jbahr

We have a 2018 Amerilite 238RK. If you have the kitchen in the rear you may also have a separate galley drain and tank as well as the normal grey and black tanks. Make sure you have more than one drain hose to reach the camp sites waste drain. Also, when you book a campsite check if they have waist drains at the site or dump stations around the campsites. You will want to have a portable waste tote on longer trips to keeps from moving the camper every time you need to dump the waste tanks. One other thing, get a good sway and stabilizer hitch bar. Live and learn, enjoy the ride and keep asking questions. Good luck Jerry & Janet
Jbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Restorium

Welcome. Make sure you don't leave the awning all the way out and up in the rain. Have some lights outside so when go out in the dark you don't trip over stuff. Be really nice to your neighbors. Where are you camping?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Robert+Lori

Default Hello

I strongly recommend you tube there are hundreds of videos covering everything you could imagine on first timer tips just type in new to rv you'll be good to go
Robert+Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #6
althotos

Get a bunch of bio-degradable toilet tissue. Available at Wally World.
Get several gallons of spring/drinking water for your trip. RV park water is often not well treated. It's okay for showering and washing, but may smell or stink of sulfur and other impurities. Most RV parks are on well water or underground springs. Pack a bunch of canned food, dried food along with your normal refrigerated and frozen food. Have several battery operated lanterns and flashlights. Go enjoy the great outdoors.
1999 Bounder 30E (traded 2018 on GF)
1997 Hornet 25 TT (sold 2003)
althotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Boho48

Go on you tube. There are alot.of seasoed travelers with lots of great ideas
Boho48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
muleman

Default Newbie

Several good suggestions overnight trip in drive or close to home but utube will have good video for you keep it simple
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Sudsy

[QUOTE=althotos;28187]Get a bunch of bio-degradable toilet tissue. Available at Wally World.

Any "Septic Safe" toilet tissue is just fine. Don't pay big money for that special sh@#$.

Sudsy
Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #10
Vanceduke

Make sure to pick up a water pressure regulator. Small expense will save a large repair bill.
Vanceduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
strider

Thanks to all of you. First trip was 45 min from home and all went well. Going out a little farther tomorrow, I need to practice backing up. At least I supplied some entertainment to other campers!
strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
Sudsy

I learned a little trick when I started that I still sometimes use. If you are having a hard time getting you bearings when backing into a spot carry a 50 ft garden hose (I do anyway). Lay the hose down to make yourself a line where you want the wheels to be. Always try to back in with the site on the drivers side. If you have slides allow for them of course.

Sudsy
Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 AM   #13
atreis

When I got my first trailer (a popup) my neighbor (a truck driver) was watching me struggle to back it and came over. He taught me a little trick: Pull very close to the entrance to the site, then swing back out again, such that everything is lined up more-or-less as if you had just pulled out of the site. Then the angles will be good for backing in, which at least gets you a good start. After that, just take your time. Why? Because if you're going slow, turning the wheel the wrong way gets you less off where you want to be.

Oh, and doing it in the dark is always hard. Try not to do that.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:51 AM   #14
althotos

Backing up the camper. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn it in the direction you want the camper to go. Go slow and practice. You will get it.
1999 Bounder 30E (traded 2018 on GF)
1997 Hornet 25 TT (sold 2003)
althotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #15
Restorium

Get some orange cones. Priceless!
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote