Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Anaya

Default Walls/construction/studs

Hi, First time poster here!
I have a 2002 Gulfstream Ultra and have removed the original table. I want to put in a different table which would require fastening it a few inches further over and slightly higher. Does anyone know (a) a good method for finding studs, or (b) can you describe where they might be (under a window for example), or (c) what they are made of - wood or aluminum? Really, ANY shreds of information regarding wall construction would be helpful, or any stories of how you have fastened things to your walls.

I've even thought of screwing a piece of plywood through the original screw holes and then attaching the table to that, but am not sure if that will work.

Thanks so much!
Anaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Sudsy

The studs are aluminum. I would suggest getting a piece of aluminum a few inches wide and a length that covers the area you need and fasten it to the wall using fasteners (screws) at the studs. Then you can put new screws anywhere on the plate. It doesn't need to be very thick. Maybe like 16 Ga.

Sudsy
Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Anaya

Great idea to use aluminum. But how do I find the studs in the wall?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Sudsy

Well I thought you had a table fastened there. Knock on the wall and listen / feel for solid vs hollow sounds. Use a very small drill bit and probe the area to find the metal. The area will be covered by the plate .

Sudsy
Old 06-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Anaya

I guess I should have explained it better. Right now the holes from the original table are about 10" lower than where the new table would need to be mounted, and about 15" too far to the left.
Are the studs generally vertical (like in a house) or horizontal?

And, is it safe to assume there is a strut running horizontal under the window, and also vertical ones coming down from each corner of the window?
Old 06-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
trotline

Studs are not like houses in an RV.
The vertical aluminum serves as a frame and foam insulation is between the frame. There are no headers but might be a small wooden strut around the window.
If you push on the wall between frame members it will give a little. Very small drill holes are the best way to find the aluminum verticals. Cover them with your board.
All frame members are not equal distance apart.
Find 2 frame verticals. Screw a board to them. Mount your table to the board.
Like i did my big screen TV.

Mine is a 2002 GS Indy 35 ft.
trotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
CAP

When I put the towel rack in my bathroom, I used a regular stud finder to find the 1"x1" metal studs/framing. There are screws in that framing from attaching the exterior to the frame. You will have to fool with it a bit to find the studs. I used 3/4" screws. And the metal framing is not of equal distance apart and do run vertical. I used blue paint tape to mark the studs.
Carolyn