Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
madkinson

Default Long Trip and broken Windshield wipers

Greetings all, I have taken my first trip in Reginald the RV (99 Sun Voyager 8362 SVB) and it has been absolutely trouble free. Drove from OKC through Arkansas, Tennessee, then up to Kentucky, across Kentucky into Illinois, then back to Missouri. Been gone for almost 2 weeks. Really pleased, especially since my Son installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizer before I left. Made a load of difference. The problem is, driving on I24, got caught in a rain storm and 60 mph winds. Tried to pull over, but the driver side wiper went all the way left and stuck. Now the wipers will not turn on. Have looked for the fuse and not luck; under the driver seat in the electrical compartment and in the rear. Do not know if that is the problem, but want to try the easy one first before I tackle the motor and gears. Currently in Springfield, MO at the KOA and it is pouring rain. Won't be leaving until tomorrow, so would like to have it fixed before I leave. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkinson View Post
Greetings all, I have taken my first trip in Reginald the RV (99 Sun Voyager 8362 SVB) and it has been absolutely trouble free. Drove from OKC through Arkansas, Tennessee, then up to Kentucky, across Kentucky into Illinois, then back to Missouri. Been gone for almost 2 weeks. Really pleased, especially since my Son installed the Roadmaster steering stabilizer before I left. Made a load of difference. The problem is, driving on I24, got caught in a rain storm and 60 mph winds. Tried to pull over, but the driver side wiper went all the way left and stuck. Now the wipers will not turn on. Have looked for the fuse and not luck; under the driver seat in the electrical compartment and in the rear. Do not know if that is the problem, but want to try the easy one first before I tackle the motor and gears. Currently in Springfield, MO at the KOA and it is pouring rain. Won't be leaving until tomorrow, so would like to have it fixed before I leave. Thanks for any help.

On my coach (2005 Sun Voyager/Workhorse Chassis )I would find that fuse under the hood on the drivers side. There is a large fuse box up there. Has headlight/taillight and other chassis fuses.

Sudsy
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
madkinson

Thanks, Sudsy. On my Spartan chassis, those are in the compartment right under the driver's seat with the other electrical. That is where I thought it would be, but just cannot find it. Will keep researching.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
Sudsy

I have a fuse box where you describe also but found the other one when I shorted out my taillights and blew a fuse. It made sense once I found it because when the Workhorse chassis is built it comes with the basics. Headlights, taillights, wipers etc.The fuse box in the forward right compartment was added by Gulf Stream. I suspect the3 same with the Spartan but I bet Restorium knows!

Sudsy
Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #5
Restorium

Way back when we first bought our 99 the wipers quit moving. Turned out the wiper arms were coming loose and all that was needed was tightening them up. The splines were slipping. Happened in a rain storm just like described.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
madkinson

Thanks, Sudsy. I will do some looking. I have had that problem when I first bought the coach, Restorium. They were loose, but I have kept them tightened. You guys are great. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #7
Sudsy

Just thought about this.

Look for water intrusion on/in the connector that is on the motor. My model is famous for not shutting off after a good storm. I sealed mine with silicone dielectric.

Sudsy
Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
madkinson

Thanks, Sudsy. Come to think of it, that is not a good seal around the cap on the nose. I will check that out. I am a firm believer in using dielectric on connectors and bulbs.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #9
GPappy

I have a '99 Sun Voyager 8350, F53 Chassis. The coach fuses are behind a carpeted kick panel on the drivers side under the dash.
GPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
madkinson

Thanks, GPappy. I know where the fuses are; on this Spartan chassis, most are in a compartment under the driver's seat, opened from outside. Almost all the twelve volt fuses, relays, etc. are in this compartment that relate to driving the vehicle. Also, there is another set of fuses and relays towards the rear, in the same compartment as the inverter. Those mainly are concerned with the taillights, backup etc. My problem is, I can find nothing labeled "windshield wipers", "windshield wiper switch" or any other thing related to that. Still looking. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Sudsy

Have you looked closely by the drivers feet. On the outboard side I have a strap with a single snap on it. If I unsnap the strap the panel opens like a door. There is a fuse panel in there.

Sudsy
Old 07-01-2019, 04:49 AM   #12
madkinson

Yes, Sudsy. I have been upside-down under there. Also, opened the side that hold the transmission selector and mirrors. Have found nothing. I will fire off an email to Spartan today to see if they can be any help. Thanks!!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #13
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkinson View Post
Thanks, GPappy. I know where the fuses are; on this Spartan chassis, most are in a compartment under the driver's seat, opened from outside. Almost all the twelve volt fuses, relays, etc. are in this compartment that relate to driving the vehicle. Also, there is another set of fuses and relays towards the rear, in the same compartment as the inverter. Those mainly are concerned with the taillights, backup etc. My problem is, I can find nothing labeled "windshield wipers", "windshield wiper switch" or any other thing related to that. Still looking. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Should be a small box, like Gpap said, right by the drivers left foot. It has the fuses related to some of the dash components like washer/wiper, IGN fuse, etc.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #14
madkinson

That may be on the Ford or Workhorse chassis, but not on the diesel Spartan. I just crawled under there (quite the feat), there are just 2 VERY large plugs that carry wire from underneath the drivers seat compartment up to the dash or out through the firewall. I will try tracing wire or wire colors next. Thanks for all the help, guys and gals BTW, I did go through every single fuse with my tester and did find 2 burned; the step switch and DRL.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Robert G

Default wipers

Check all of them take one out at a time and look at them most of the time you can see when they are bad best to use a volt meter if you have one.
Robert G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:16 AM   #16
madkinson

Thanks, RobertG. I have done that with my tester. I emailed Spartan and, as usual, they were quick to reply and will be sending me the wiring diagram with fuse locations. Thanks for all the help.