Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Texas TC

Default SuperNova Cooling System Leak

It may just be my coach or it might be something everyone needs to be aware of on their coaches. On my latest trip back from visiting the kids in Florida, I had a red engine light and overheating light come on. I checked the level of coolant in the reservoir and it was low. I bought three gallons of antifreeze at a TA truck stop, filled the reservoir, and finished my trip home to Texas. This morning I found that the coach had leaked coolant on my driveway so I checked the engine area and found a small hole had rubbed in the hose that goes from the reservoir to the water pump and it was leaking antifreeze from the hole ever so slightly. The clearance between the hose and the frame is very close on my coach at the place the hole had rubbed in the hose. I removed the hose and will go to International in the morning to get a replacement.

I suggest that all SuperNova owners check their hoses (and clearance between the hose and frame) on the drivers side that leads from the reservoir to the water pump to see if theirs have been rubbing or leaking. When I put mine back together, I am going to wrap some rubber and hose clamps around the hose where it has been rubbing and watch it closely to be assured it does not rub another hole in the hose in the future.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
Georunner

Thanks for the heads up Texax TC. I just checked mine, and has rubbed some. I only have 6,000 miles on mine and I know you have 4 or 5 times that, so thanks again, saved me some heartache.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
JimBob

TC

Thanks for the post, I'll check mine before we head out for Florida next Friday- I've not noticed any leaks on the ground, but I'll check anyway.

Hope the visit was otherwise uneventful, and you got home safely. Guess you did it in two big chunks, like you thought you might.

Jim Bob
08 Super Nova
Greenwood, SC
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Texas TC

Well, it has been an all day ordeal but the Nova is fixed. The International service and parts center in Dallas decided to take a looooong holiday and is closed until Monday. None of the local auto parts stores have any listings for the 2008 International 4200 hoses. Not to be out done, I made three trips to O'Riley's Auto Parts with measurements and dimensions and found that a Gates 21743, although about 9" has to be cut off, will work just fine. The reservoir end of the hose is 1 1/4" and the water pump end is 1".

The second problem is finding the ethylene high mileage antifreeze that is called for in the owners manual. I had to go to a TA truck stop to find it and it took almost 4 gallons at $11.95 per gallon to refill after I lost quite a bit when I unhooked the damaged hose from the water pump.

Bottom line, all is fixed and ready for the next adventure.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
JimBob

Sounds like something else I should add to my on the road parts kit- Thanks again for the information..... I'll be sure to have Carolina International check it out at the next oil change, which is due in about 3000 miles or so. That will be about when I'm in Texas!!!

Travel safe..

Jim Bob
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
ADKOS Mobile Command

Old topic questions. What is the specifics on the factory radiator hose clamps. Are these cut off and replaced with standard screw type hose clamps?
ADKOS Mobile Command is offline   Reply With Quote