Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
gate9869

Default GS Grand hotel

Hi everyone,
We have been looking at motorhomes for the past several months. I think we finally decided on the GS 6400 grand hotel. It was between that and the Seneca, but we have decided on the GS. We are looking for some reviews on this unit esp from current or past owners. Any advice would be much appreciated !!
gate9869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
porchracer1

Default Re: GS Grand hotel

Can't really comment on the grand, I do know it's long, I have the 6331 (34ft) I've owned the super nova since Nov of 2010, I like the motorhome but have experienced the same problems as most owners of this coach, Seems like everyone, myself included just this week, have had problems with the ABS brake system, My coach just achieved 15,000 miles the first of June and it's been at the International dealer for the last 3 wks. I picked up the motorhome this afternoon after the replacement of the ABS controller. $3500.00 and no help from Arvin Meritor the maker of the unit, No help from International (Navisstar) even though they know there's a problem. I have been told that if the problem occurs on the school bus fleet that Meritor has stepped up and replaced the units. Probably as to not get the bad press concerning hauling kids around in buses that have brake problems. I would incourage the owners of the Gulf stream Super Novas to become very vocale about the brake problems. The S.N. is a great concept it's just a shame the Gulf Stream Co. picked International Chassis for their platform. This design of coach on the Freightliner is top notch. Sorry for the rant . Now the motorhome besides the brake problems, and a little underpowered is a dream to drive and pulls my trailer ok. If you purchase the coach know that if the ABS controller has been changed, there's only 1yr (150,000) mile warranty on the controller and there have been owners that have changed them numerous times. Good luck.
porchracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Texas TC

I put 47000 miles on my SuperNova before going to my current Winnebago Class A. I never had a problem with the ABS. However, the engine is the weak link in my opinion. I went through several injectors and had numerous other engine problems. Also, the front cap requires constant attention. Mine had several leaks where the cap met the main roof. I agree that the Freifgtliner chassis would have been a much better option. The Cummins engine they offer is a beast and is almost bullit proof.

Personally, I would take another look at the Senaca. JMHO.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
gate9869

Wow ok great thanks for the advice !! Yes the Seneca did not go to the freightliner until 2012. ( as far as I can tell) So the price is a little more, but I would much rather pay more for a newer one than dump money into a constant problem. We will look more at the Seneca ! Thanks a lot for the info it helps a lot !!
gate9869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
cd6400

I've owned my 2011 6400 since new in 2010. Now has just under 12K miles and I've not had any significant problems with engine/chassis or on the RV side. If still interested I just listed it for sale. Going back to a fifth wheel setup...no issues just our preference. See my posting on this forum for more details and link to photos.
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote