Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Microguy

Default Can anybody identify this one?

We were given this RV (2005 GS BT Cruiser 5250). We have most of the manuals, but there is still a lot missing I guess.

This device is installed on the lower left dash, by the brake release. Only activates when in reverse. The two digits light up, alternated a few times, then come on mostly steady. But that seems the be about it.

It looks to have something to do with centering, like maybe in a lane. But nothing seems to make the numbers change or make it do anything else. Walking around the back end, etc... seems to have no effect.

I've asked around at RV places, but nobody seems to know anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV device.jpg (185.3 KB, 36 views)
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Restorium

Someone here asked that same question around a couple months ago. Can't find the thread and don't remember what it was for.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Microguy

Thanks. If you think of a few words i can search for....

I think its probably ultrasonic sensors, or maybe LASER, but theyre missing so all we have is the display.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Guess it sure would be NICE if you could find some kinda name/ brand/ ## on the controller; Maybe if can find mirror to check bottom, or a screw to disassemble?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Microguy

Nope, this is all we have. Its stuck on with some great double sided tape or glue. No visible information. The display (Black block) seems to be all encapsulation, doesnt come apart. Wire goes into the bottom of the dash and pulls a vanishing act (so far).

It looks like its all display, no buttons on it. After looking at it, it looks like it "could" have something to do with leveling, maybe. Arrows might indicate side to side? and the two "roadways" maybe front/back? Odd it would work only in reverse though.

Im going to try and trace the wires out and see where the go. Some day.....
Old 04-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
THenne1713

Hmmmm Up/ Down Control, with Numbers (maybe lights?), could it be airbags pressure?
Old 04-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Restorium

Only comes on in reverse? Maybe shows how far away you are from an object behind you(when it's working)?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
Microguy

Bingo! Finally got it traced out today. Wire goes all the way to the back end and I was able to trace it to what i thought was an "opps button" (blank plug) on the rear bumper. There should be two, but i think somebody crashed into something and ripped out one ultrasonic sensor, so there was just an empty hole.

Without both sensors (or knowing how to operate it, still dont). it was hard to tell what it was doing or trying to do.

Seems I can use one sensor if I tap the display. But will probably replace it, along with the crummy fish eye lens camera. (and several of the taillights)

keeping me busy....
Old 04-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
BT Chris

In the rear bumper there are round sensors I have 2 the size of a nickel. If you have them the gadge is showing distance from an obstacle. My sensor is activated only in reverse
BT Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
JimmieD

Most likely a trailer brake controller.
JimmieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
CAP

That nifty little doo-dad is attached to your back-up camera and tells you how many feet you are from an object. Works for fences, kids, buckets most anything. It does cover the full width as you can see in your back-up camera. So if you see a fence or bumper guard in the camera, you now know how close you are to it.

Carolyn
Old 04-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
CAP

Another note on this. IF you do replace the awful backup camera, make sure this is attached. I can't tell you how many times it has helped me in 12 years.
Carolyn
BT Cruiser 2006 - Model 5291
Old 04-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
Jugster51

I have a 2005 and on mine it is,a back up sensor. I have a digital read out showing me the distance to the object behind me. Fairly accurate.
Jugster51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
jamesham

Default backup monitor

Looks like an aftermarket backup sensor display to me. Peak and some others sold a system that came with two black plastic sensors that could replace the license plate bolts and displayed how far you were from object. Noise alert also when somebody walked in range behind vehicle when in reverse. Sensors are probably missing so display is worthless.

[QUOTE=Microguy;27695]We were given this RV (2005 GS BT Cruiser 5250). We have most of the manuals, but there is still a lot missing I guess.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #15
Microguy

Thanks. Just browsing around and found the exact unit for sale. but I'm going to upgrade it, more sensors, at the same time I replace the camera\display.

Not looking forward to it, but it can be done. May wait until it starts cooling off again. Starting to get a wee bit warm out there.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #16
hossross

I also just acquired a 5250 B Touring Cruiser with this display taped to the IP and it has 2 sensors mounted in the rear facia. There is only 1 black wire running from the main rear body harness to each the left and right sensor. I couldn't find a controller box or other wires, so was confused how they used just 1 wire to a sensor. I will see if it gives me different distances tomorrow to objects. Yes the display only lights in reverse, so I assume it is a proximity sensor. What is the system name? I placed objects at different distances and it reads flashing 0, so need more user information.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:19 AM   #17
hossross

Do you have the name of this distance display? Is there an auditable noise that it makes at some minimum distance, or just a number display? Mine looks just like the one in the first picture shown in this thread, only comes on in reverse, and only displays zero but flashes 0 alternately in left and right digit readout. Thanks for any help you can provide

Attachment 1053
Old 07-21-2020, 09:58 PM   #18
hossross

The back up sensor and display was probably marketed as a rear obstacle detection system, or backup warning,
I have investigated mine some more, and learned that the single black wire to to sensor, isn't inside the black cover is 2 shielded wires (a red and black) . I still haven't located a controller box, The wire to the display is also the same covered black wire. This wire is routed to the left and under the left foot well and continues rearward but can't tell if it is routed inside or exits at the floor rise just behind the driver and passengers seats. Some where they need to route to 12 V and a ground, as well as reverse selected. None of this is happening under the IP. The camera and distance display
both activate when in Reverse, so they may pick up the reverse signal / power up at the same splice. Does anyone have any more ideas of where the Box is mounted, I assume it would be inside and not external, but don't know how weather proof it is. I assume it would be about the size of a pack of cigarettes (if that is an acceptable standard of measure these days)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #19
hossross

I've investigated the BACKUP ALARM and DISTANCE MEASURING SYSTEM. aka, Backup Warning / Obstacle Detection System. this is mostly for documentation as it was only used for a few years, 2005 and 2006 are known years based on owner reports. It is an obsolete product, so fewer and fewer people will want information about it, but wanted to post what I learned since it is getting harder and harder to find anyone with knowledge of the system. If it doesn't work, I have no repair information. The, device is a combination external back up beeper, and a distance measuring devise. The distance display was to be mounted on the IP panel just above the drivers left knee, and appears to be the old LED stick number display. The warning beeper was mounted externally at the very rear of the vehicle. The logic box on my coach (B Touring Cruiser model 5250) was along the rear wall under the cabinet. I suspect on all models it would be along the rear wall, as it is wired into the rear back up lamps, the external beeper is behind the bumper facia, also this puts it close to the 2 black round sensors, There is a 2 wire lead from the box to the cab for the distance display. There was excess wire to the display, so looks like they used this design on many lengths of coaches, it also is logical since moving the box forward would require lengthening multiple wires. The box inputs are 2 sensors (left and right), 2 power wires (12V & Neg), and 2 wires, the output are the beeper warning, and the distance display. The back up camera taps in at the same backup lamp wire splice. Both the camera and the display are only activated when the shift lever is in "Reverse". July 23, 2020
Old 08-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #20
THenne1713

Believe it is backup clearance alarm sensor?