Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
steve.k

Default Have you noticed the competition

I was just through our dealer today and noticed they are also selling the Renegade Explorer.That is a nice ride with air ride and a 30,000 lb towing capacity.Although quite abit more money,a left over 2010 also there for289,000 so fairly pricy.All in all nice unit forsure.
steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Texas TC

Default Re: Have you noticed the competition

I really don't consider the Renegade or Haulmark coaches our competition and I would almost guarantee they don't consider us in their league. All the ones I have seen are considered truck conversions and not class C coaches on a medium duty chassis.

Although ours are considered class 6 truck chassis, those coaches are generally on class 8 frames. If they have started building on a class 6 frame, I have not seen one. Jayco says they are introducing a class 6 Freightliner chassis for the Senaca line but I have not seen where they have delivered one yet. The specs I saw on it were pretty sparse. ie. 19.5 wheels and tires, no air suspension, limited floor-plans. I guess they are trying to keep the cost in line with the SuperNova and not be in competition with their own Embark.

JMHO

TxTC

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
steve.k

Yes Texas the new explorer is on what they call the m2 series Freightliner,I beleive it is the same size truck.Im not sure maybe it is one size bigger?Check it out at kibbi .com.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Texas TC

Nice looking rig. The M2 should be a good class 6/7 chassis for our type coach. I am surprised that it took this long for a coach builder other than Jayco to start using it. I like the specs on the coach especially the 350 hp Cummins engine. The only disappointment was the standard queen bed. I really like the king in the SuperNova.

Thanks for the link and update.

TxTC

Old 05-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
steve.k

Yes It caught my also,it is a little pricy but I think the Freightliner is a little better truck.Texas how much of deal do think it would be to swap the 466 for the 365?I think that would make a huge difference on our coaches?I looked at the Renegades when I bought mine and could have got a good used one for about the same money,but I thought they were way to big for what I need.Anyhow I like this new setup and the cummins and mercedes engines pull way harder than the 365 my brother in law has one.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Texas TC

I have thought of the 365 to 466 swap but have never asked about it at the dealership. I will be due for an oil change in a month or so and I will ask the dealership what changes would be required to make the engine swap.

It would probably be cost prohibitive but it is an interesting thought. Also, International engines do not need urea additive so that would be a plus to staying with the International brand.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
steve.k

Texas Ive asked a few people what they think the difference between the two engines would be and no one can say forsure.The reason I ask is the 365 is 300hp and the 466 I beleive 275 hp although I do believe the new series engines might be up to 300 hp?So if the engine is less hp but more torque which pulls harder?Some say the higher torque engine will pull harder from a stop but once moving the higher hp engine is what you want as in passing and such.What are your thoughts?I'm sure someone in the trucking background could answer this.I do know one of my uncles was a bus driver and they had both the 466 and 365 and he said they did not notice diferences in power so much but the 466 started better and had less down time than 365 .The cold weather made the 466 shine up here.
Steve
Old 06-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
B44D

After my 2009 SN 6373 broke down for the 5th time with 7,000 miles, I purchased a 38 ft Showhauler on a Freightliner chassis with a M-B engine. It is a completely different vehicle from the International. Obviously much more heavy duty, built for hauling heavy trailers (40,000#) and cruising down the Interstate. This is my 3rd RV in 3 years and I am finally satisfied. The turning radius and gas mileage (7mpg) is not as good, but at least it gets me there and back. SW International just installed the 2nd turbocharger, new injectors and EFM, secondary fuel filter system and removed and cleaned the fuel tanks on my SN. (All under warranty, they do stand behind their product). Hopefully the next owner will not have any more problems...
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Texas TC

B44D:

Man, I am sorry about all the issues you had with you Nova but am glad you got a rig you like. Those truck conversions are really nice coaches and you hit on the one thing everyone I have talked to that has one says. It takes a football field to turn one around. That aside, they are great and it should serve you well.

TxTC