Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class C
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #81
Nanaeve

Default Air Suspension

Have you tried calling ACE directly to see where they have shipped suspensions to , they may have someone in your area that has done installations before. I had them do it as I live in NorCal and they were 2 hrs away. JKust a thought.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #82
kart74

Default Superide

Yahoooooo! Finally found someone to do an install. Cummins Bridgeway just a couple miles from the house will intall it. It will be their first but are going to work with Aaron down at Southwest International and Phil at American Carrier. I ordered the unit and air kit and had it shipped to them. So, if anyone in Michigan is looking to have one installed, stand by and I will let u know how it goes! Shipping takes about three days and Cummins figures about 10 hours of labor to install.

Janice

I am so excited
kart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #83
nailerman

Way to go. I would not trade my ACE Air Ride for anything. Just be sure that everything is done properly.

While under there check the drive line from tranny to rear end. ON my 6362 the yoke at the transmission failed. I cannot say this is because of the Air Ride installation. The yoke could have been installed by IH on Monday morning or Friday Afternoon.

It is worth a look and to check because Good Sam Extended Warranty strikes again and will not cover the damage. We were honest and said that a bolt had come loose and was told not approved. Had to be a part failure. Seems to me this was if not torqued properly. I found it when the tranny started leaking fluid.

Good luck with the Air Ride. It is quite an improvement.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #84
Walldo

Default Air Ride

Hey Texas TC, Looks like you have had the air suspension for a year now, what is your likes and dislikes, any problems, how many miles have you put on it, and would you do it again? Was it worth the money? Thanks, Walldo
Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #85
nailerman

We have had out ACE Air Ride since May and have recently done a round trip to Canada and just last week to Myrtle Beach, SC.

I built machinery for a living and still sell it and I believe this Air Ride by ACE is great. Wife and I really see a difference. Now we want to put the right shocks in the front to replace the OEM to control its porpoising at times.

Just make sure you get a good installer.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #86
Texas TC

My solenoid went out the first week after installation, International replaced the original with a Square D unit and I have not had any issues of any kind since then. I have put 12,000 miles on the system and only wished I had installed the ACE system when I purchased the SuperNova.

You probably read that I recently added a air horn to the coach since I now have a compressor on board (I believe Nailerman was the first to have an air horn added).

I highly recommend the installation of the air suspension system to anyone who owns the International chassis.

Nailerman;

Let me know if you find some good shocks. I have been thinking about replacing my original shocks since before I added the air system.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #87
kart74

An update on our ACE installation. I guess there was a bulletin in the box that said "Installation may require an additional air supplier fitting and/or additional leef spring". Well, guess what. My coach leaned after installation and needs the second air supplier fitting and another leef spring. Did anyone else run into these problems? They couldn't put the air compressor on the left side in front of axle compartment as my black and grey tank stuff is over there. In fact most of the left side is mechanicals of some kind. So they put it in the rear right side. Did you know that the compressors need to be ventilated so they get outside air? Well, now we had to add venting. Then it said to run battery cable from compressor to house batteries. No cable provided. They took pics of each step so I could show you all and they could show ACE and Southwest International. Please tell me I don't own the only Supernova that has decided to be a pain in the backside
Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #88
Texas TC

My 6331 model allowed for the compressor to be installed on the frame behind the propane tank. You can see it when you open that bay door. In fact, they mounted an air gauge right behind the propane tank along with a hose and fitting to fill the tank in case the motor on the compressor failed.

That location is also very close to the chassis and coach batteries. Southwest wired mine to the chassis batteries and it comes on when I turn on the ignition switch. My installation was not the first for Southwest International. Aaron Redmon, their specialty equipment manager, recommended the ACE system since he and his employees were familiar with the installation.

I do not have any lean issues nor did I require additional springs.

Sorry you have had so many issues with your installation. Mine was smooth as it could be. The only delay I had was that the compressor and the ACE air bags came in on two shipments on two different days. Everything else went well.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #89
Texas TC

The following link should take you to pictures of my installation. The second picture shows my compressor and air tank mounted on the frame behind the propane tank and very close to all the batteries:

viewtopic.php?t=1866

Old 09-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #90
kart74

Got a call from Cummins today that the motorhome was done. They told me it was an additional $2200 for parts, I had already paid for the the stuff from ACE, and 68 hours of labor at $100 an hour. He said they know they quoted me 10 hours labor because that's what ACE and Southwest International said it should take. So they want me to pay an additional $10,000! I am beside myself. I should have let the darn thing bang itself apart I guess cause I sure don't have an extra $10 grand laying around. My husband is going to kill me.

Janice
Old 09-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #91
Texas TC

All I can say is WOW!

I am a total loss as to why your coach needed any additional work and certainly not 68 hours of labor. If they did not tell you about the additional charges prior to doing the work, I might suggest getting an attorney involved. Everyone else has been in the 5-6 thousand dollar range for parts and installation of the ACE system. I certainly do not think you should have to pay for their inefficiencies.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #92
B44D

I'm with Texas TC, no way they should charge that. You should not pay for their learning curve if they did not know what they were doing. There are plenty of comp's to use. Have them call Southwest International in Dallas.
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #93
kart74

I told them numerous times to talk to Aaron at Southwest International or the guy from ACE. I did talk to him yesterday and he was flabbergasted. I told him they ran 30' of battery cable at $20 a ft. He said all it needed was 9 guage wire? I am really stressed as I am going there after work to try and get things straightened out. There is no way when you budget $6,000 plus a few incidentals to come up with a total of $13,000. The guy from ACE wants me to send him a print out of what they installed over what he sent. No one else had a leaning problem after installation and had to have another leef spring put on? I can't figure that out. We do have the 37' which I don't think they offer anymore, but the 6400 is 40' and I don't remember anyone saying they had this problem. It would have been cheaper to go down and see Texas TC and Aaron!
Old 10-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #94
Walldo

Hope it all works out, I talked with Aaron and he mentioned that if the coach had a lean after installation it would be another $550.00 to rebulid the spring pack. Because mine has a lean as it sits now. Good Luck, and again I hope it all works out for the best. Walldo
Old 10-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #95
kart74

Thanks Walldo. That price Aaron gave you helps me out too. I can use that when I talk to them today. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 10-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #96
cd6400

Default Why the lean?

I'm strongly considering having the ACE system installed next year on my 6400. Not sure I understand why the coach would have a lean after the ACE is installed if it didn't have one before installation.... any thoughts?
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #97
Texas TC

If properly installed, I cannot see any reason for a lean in the stance of the coach. Mine will lean more than it did before when parked on the side of a hill with the air bags deflated. However, when active and air bags full, the ACE system levels the coach and keeps it level while in operation.

I really hope kart74 gets their coach back and at a reasonable price. That whole issue they have experienced would be a nightmare. I would suggest that anyone who installs an ACE air suspension system to please find a reputable installer who knows what they are doing. It should take about 10 hours to install and their should not be any surprises when it is finished. Anyone within driving distance of Dallas, I highly recommend Southwest International. They have installed many of these systems on SuperNova's and other mid-sized trucks and they very good and efficient in the installation. There are N0 surprises when you deal with Aaron at Southwest.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #98
Nanaeve

Default ACE Suspension

Seems to me that this International Shop was looking for A CASH COW! My unit was installed by ACE in California, they had never installed one in our style coach, but they know the system. If a spring was needed that it was needed before the install and should be covered by warranty. What were they thinking with the battery cable, doesn't anyone in that shop know how to read or ask questions. The guys at ACE will talk your head off, and they know thier product and are proud of it. Seems you are being billed for International to stand around and scratch thier heads or other parts , when they should have been asking questions. I hope you got a estimate in writting before hand and were made aware of any additional charges BEFORE they were done, if not you are not responsible for those charges. Get legal help and get ACE to support you and the estimated time needed to do it.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #99
B44D

I have the SN 37 foot. I did have to have the leaf spring added after the Air ride was installed. It was $622.30. It's because all the weight is on the left (gen, refrig, batteries, tanks, slide out). When it is resting on the stiff springs, it doesn't matter, but when you are on the bags, it leans. So SW International put in a proportioning valve between left and right air bag and added the leaf spring. Still, total was $5870 plus $622 above.
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #100
Texas TC

Thanks B44D, I guess I missed that in some posts in this long thread. It does make sense on that model due to all the equipment being on the driver side of the coach. On my model, most of the support systems are on the left side of the coach but the fridge and kitchen are on the right side so I guess that helps balance out the weight. Also, the 6331 slide is not as long and heavy.

Now, has anyone with a 6400 had to have springs added?