Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
howermj

Default 2009 Constellation 45G

Hello all,

I'm headed up to Spartansburg for work (and Camp Freightliner) in about 2 weeks, and I discovered that Camping World Spartansburg has a 2009 TM Constellation T45G on the lot (http://www.campingworld.com/rvsales/cla ... er/346002/). I've always been interested in this coach -- in fact, it was the one I originally sold my wife on -- but we decided on a more reasonably priced '00 Scenic Cruiser followed by an '06 TM T40A. We have been very happy with both, and I've become quite the RV tech in the process.

I'd like this august group to weigh in on the following before I visit the dealer:

The 2009 Connie has a 12 cu.ft. Dometic Elite fridge in the slide. After FTing in our TM, my wife says she can't live without her 22 cu.ft. residential fridge. What would your thoughts be on putting a residential fridge in place of the Dometic in the slide? The GE residential in my TM is about 100 lbs heavier than the gas Dometic, and it can hold about 100 lbs more stuff. (Net weight increase of 200 lbs on the full-wall slide.) The Tag Axle Winnie Tour 42 has a residential fridge in its full-wall slide, but it was likely engineered differently.

Murphy bed or not? The new Connie materials show a Murphy bed and a media room. The one at Camping World appears to have a traditional king bed (no media room). Has anybody ever seen a configuration like this before?

What would you pay? CW offers if for $200K. I could buy one new in 2010 for that. What would be reasonable for an out-of-warranty GS tag with 9K miles on it?

FYI - I'm not looking for comments on Gulf Stream quality. I know they built good coaches -- I've owned two, and I'm more than happy doing the work to keep it going on my own. (If I wanted a discussion on qualty, I'd go over to IRV2.

v/r
MJH

PS -- I'll report my findings from the dealer when I get there. If you have specific things you would like me to look at, let me know.
howermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: 2009 Constellation 45G

I also was very interested on the Constellation when it first come out, but I never did get to see one. Gulf Stream did not manufacturer too many because that is when the economy took a dump and the mechanized division shut its doors.

I am sure the quality is tops and the prize about right for a tag axle coach with only 5K miles on it. Not even broken in yet. As to the refrigerator it would not be a deal breaker, fact I would not have a residential frig in my coach, unless I was going to be full timing and hooked up to shore power all the time. Several in our Gulf Stream club that have TM have had battery issues when dry camping with the residential refrigerators. I am surprised that it does not have a residential since all the TourMaster coaches that I have seen have them.

I still have on our Scenic Cruiser the original Norcold 1200 LRIM and never have had any problems. We do dry camp some and the propane fridge sure comes in handy. We like ours anyways.

It probably has the original tires, so that will be something that will have to be changed out right away. Most RV tires need changing at around five years. You don't want any blow outs, too much damage when one of them things blow.

Let us know if you decide to buy it and some pictures.
Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Chuck v

I walked through a Constellation earlier this year when I was having some roof cleaning and detailing work done on my own Tour Master 40C at a local shop. To my taste the curved cabinetry and the wood used are something I would not choose -- guess I prefer more traditional finishes and looks. The driver's station was very well laid out and fully featured (wish I had side cameras on my coach...) My present Mercedes engine suites my sense of economy and unhurried driving style, but that big Cummins should move things along nicely. I have not owned a tag axle unit, but was involved in the design of a commercial demo coach for my company one time that was built on a IH45 Prevost chassis and it of course had the tag. I did not drive it on the road (our company insurance demanded a professional driver.)

The Constellation is not that much longer than your 40A, so if you are already dealing with bypassing parks and facilities that have an "under 40" length limit you won't find much difference.

It's all a matter of taste and preference -- if you like it, want it and can afford it then go for it. At let us know what you think of it when you do the walk-through...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
11B

FYI back in 09 they built two to go on the road for all the RV shows. When I made inquiries to my dealer who had just sold me my Friendship about a possibility of some kind of trade we got the factory involved and had an agreement that at the end of the RV shows I could purchase either one for 179,000.00 cash deal. Needless to say but with just buying the Friendship there was no way I could do the deal and not lose my A$$.
I hope this gives you some kind of an idea of what to offer for it. It's funny you brought up the Constellation tag. As I was leaving our RV park this morning in Thayne Wyo I spotted one pulling in and I must say from the outside it's one hell of a coach.

Aqua Hot ( a must)
Date on tires
Did it come from a flood zone
With only 9000 miles is it titled or still on MSO
If titled how many previous owners and maintenance records
I am not a a wired dude but just where and the hell has this coach been since 09 with only 9000 miles on it. I like Ray Chaz have been a very happy Gulfstream owner with my Friendship since 07 and am always looking around for that perfect deal on a perfect coach at a steal price and I have never seen a Constellation for sale anywhere else.

Hope it all works out for you its a great looking ride.

11B
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
howermj

Thanks for the insights, all. CW is asking far, far too much for it, but they sure have been forthcoming with my requests for pictures. If you want to see more, go here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/anf0p1yrv...R49iD0ZJa?dl=0

Initial impressions:

I'm bummed that the Murphy Bed is gone. Since I use my coach for work, I wanted to turn the theater room into a nice office. I'm trying to get original plans for it, and I'll see how hard it would be to change it out.

Coleman vs Dometic A/Cs on the roof. I'm sure either would be fine, but the Coleman basement air in my 06TM has left a bad taste in my mouth. Both my roof units are Dometic, as were the units on my Scenic Cruiser, and I never had a problem with any of them.

CCC is incredible...at least on the weights placard. I can't wait to see real 4 corner weights.

Less storage above the kitchen area. DW won't be happy. This is now where they mounted all the electronics. (I can identify the multiplex controller, and Coleman thermostat, but not the other two items. Any thoughts?)

Shelves in cabinets are NOT carpeted. That's a huge surprise to me, as every other GS I've seen has carpeted cabinets. Easy to remedy, just surprising.

No oven. Not that I use it much, but it was a selling point for my DW. Looks like lots of storage added in its place, however.

No pull out tray rack under the sink (like my 06 TM).

DW is missing the 22 cu. ft. residential fridge already.

The power system is confusing. While the literature says it has 2-12v chassis, 2-12v house, and 4-6v inverter batteries, one of the pictures seems to indicate only 2-12v chassis and 6-6v house batteries. Also, the 6v batteries are moved from under the front "hood" to a side compartment. (I wonder what's under the hood...?)

Finally, and most surprising, there seems to be less under bay storage than in my 06. While I get more CCC, I'm likely to be at a loss for volume. Interesting.

I'm expecting another set of pictures tomorrow. Will post them when I get them. Open to any insights or comments before I go to visit....

v/r
MJH
howermj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 PM   #6
Chuck v

11b,

My 2007 T40C has 10869 miles on its odometer at this very moment, so lo mileage coaches are out there...

MJH,

As to the cabinets, I mentioned in my post above that the curved styling is not for me -- unnecessarily complex and inefficient. I would miss the storage in my 40C and I have even added some (the space above the microwave is now available for large flat objects with a hinge up panel...) Page two of this thread shows the modifications needed to do this:
http://www.gsowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2249 This also shows some storage organizers that I have added...

My 40C floor plan has that same little peninsula desk just forward of the dining table -- that is where I am sitting and typing on my laptop at present. Yes a larger and separate office would be nice -- but if you are married and the wife wanted to watch TV in the bedroom you would be out here anyway if you wanted to work late...

We would really miss the 22 cu ft residential refrigerator and the oven as well... a real kitchen has an oven, not just a microwave. Neither would I like to volunteer to give up any basement storage...are you going to get a van for a toad?

Of course, tell us more when you get to see it in person...

Chuck

...OH yeah -- and the shower is much smaller than the one in the 40C...bummer!!!

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
RayChez1

I finally saw a Constellation 45G on the road about two weeks ago. We were traveling to Las Vegas on I-15 north when all of a sudden I notice this Constellation traveling south on I-15. There were many coaches on the road that day going south, but I spotted the Constellation paint job right away (except) I had never seen one in that color scheme. Instead of where it would have the burgundy color, it had like an orange color. Since I belong to a Gulf Stream coach club I get to see many Tour Masters up to 40' and 42'. And this coach that I saw looked a lot like the 40 footers except longer and with a tag axle.

It is too bad that Gulf Stream discontinued its mechanized division because I think they made a pretty good coach. Customer service was terrible, but I have been very happy with my coach. A few more miles and I will hit 60K miles in eleven years since I bought it. My coach has had TLC, maybe that is why it still looks new. The paint job they gave it has held great with the exception of the crown in the front where the clearance lights are. I had that part repainted because it was starting to fade. But other then that it has held real good. The Cat engine is running its best now. I can go up long grades with no problem. So I guess it is true that it takes at least 50K miles before those engines barely start breaking in.

I was just looking at the pictures on the link and that is a good looking coach on the outside. Not that crazy about the cabinetry. I like my Walnut cabinets better. I like dark wood on cabinets, but that is just me. Every person has different taste.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote