Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
Rhodesia

Default No power while driving up hills

I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8368MXG 37 foot she weights 22,000 pounds. My question is I'm having issues while driving up hills like a 6% grade and or a 4% grade. I'm not towing anything. I have to use 3rd gear and sometimes I have to use 2nd gear in order to chug along at about 20 miles an hour. after that I'm on a strait highway and I can do about 80 with no problem but it's the hills that I'm having trouble with. I have a Banks Power system installed so thats working, I have a complete tune up to include the Transmission. She only has 44,000 on a Triton V 10 engine. What I find interesting is that other motorhomes that are 40 footers with a tow vehicle have passed me going up a 6% grade with no problem but yet I'm crawling along at 20 miles an hour sometimes 30. These are gas versions and not diesel motorhomes that pass me. So anyone have any ideals why I might be crawling along up these hills while everyone else is passing me by?
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Restorium

How long have you had it? Does it have the power it always had or is this new?

My v10 with about the same miles on it as your has a lot of power. I usually pull a 4000+ pound trailer. Not that many hills around here. When I hit one I have to kick it down, never have to manually downshift. I lose maybe 10 miles an hour. I bet there would be some hills that are challenging though especially with a trailer.

It's hard to tell if what you are describing is normal or not. Did the mechanic that did the tune up give the v10 a bill of health? Mine still runs like new.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Rhodesia

It just started a few months back the Ford dealership just did a regular tune up, they kept insisting that V10 Triton does not need a tune up until it gets to about 100,000 miles I find that hard to believe but anyway if I kick it down then it loses power to the point I have to down shift in 3rd then it shows down to the point you have to down shift to 2nd in order to get up the hill. the RPM's when the Banks systems kicks in get around to 4,000 RPMs to the point where you feel you are going to blow the engine. I have no issues burning fuel for a 75 gallon tank I can travel 410 miles on a 1/4 of a tank of gas not bad. It's interesting to see a 40 foot gas coach towing a vehicle pass you by while you are in the slow lane with the tractor trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
How long have you had it? Does it have the power it always had or is this new?

My v10 with about the same miles on it as your has a lot of power. I usually pull a 4000+ pound trailer. Not that many hills around here. When I hit one I have to kick it down, never have to manually downshift. I lose maybe 10 miles an hour. I bet there would be some hills that are challenging though especially with a trailer.

It's hard to tell if what you are describing is normal or not. Did the mechanic that did the tune up give the v10 a bill of health? Mine still runs like new.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Restorium

I'm not sure on the Banks. Probably way over rated. Isn't it just an exhaust modification?

So something changed a few months ago? Anything else you can think of as a clue? Spark knock? Engine light? Surging?

I get a solid 8 miles to the gallon with the V10.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Rhodesia

No nothing like that, no error codes during the tune up. Banks is a exhaust Mod sounds like a j braking like on a tractor trailers. Just feels like I'm dragging my ass when climbing hills, hate seeing the 40 foot gas motorhomes pass me by knowing that I should be doing the same since mine is allot smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
I'm not sure on the Banks. Probably way over rated. Isn't it just an exhaust modification?

So something changed a few months ago? Anything else you can think of as a clue? Spark knock? Engine light? Surging?

I get a solid 8 miles to the gallon with the V10.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
No nothing like that, no error codes during the tune up. Banks is a exhaust Mod sounds like a j braking like on a tractor trailers. Just feels like I'm dragging my ass when climbing hills, hate seeing the 40 foot gas motorhomes pass me by knowing that I should be doing the same since mine is allot smaller.
Comparing with other units is probably too much guessing. They could be turbo charged with a lot more HP than you have.
I think your best clues are when it started being doggy and that it had more power before. At least there should be a way to get it back the way it was before. It's not just underpowered for the weight.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Sudsy

Default Fuel Filter

Have you changed the fuel filter? That could do it. My coach has the Chevy V8 but I have a van with a V8 Triton. I had to replace the fuel pump that was inside the tank on my E250 but I am not familiar with the V10 installation. I would definitely look at the fuel system. Look closely at fuel pressure if you can. My pump would work fine as long as I didn't have my Travel Trailer in tow and demanded more fuel. Then it just couldn't keep up.

It could also be a vacuum leak.

Sudsy
Old 06-03-2019, 09:09 AM   #8
Frutza

Like Sudsy said, start with fuel and air filters, when I've had suspected fuel problems I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge put under a wiper blade and take it for a drive. Did you tell the dealership about this problem? I have a Scangauge installed, it plugs into the Obd and I can % of load on the motor on the fly
Old 06-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Tiara

Hi
I have the 2003/4 8.1 Chevy Workhorse GS 3836 with the Banks system. 101500 miles on the clock.
I have spent a fair bit of time in the Canadian & Colorado Rockies with a toad. Not unusual to drop down to 30 to 40 going up the steeper grades.
I did clean the Banks air filter a little while ago and noticed more power and better fuel economy. You can either get a new air filter or buy a cleaning kit from NAPA.
Hope this helps
Tiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
RGFlinn

On a Ford van years ago I had a serious power loss. The catalytic converter had crumbled and blocked the exhaust. It was a University-owned van, we were 2,000 miles from their garage. A local mechanic and I dropped the converter, removed all the crumbled honeycomb, and power was restored. You cleaned the air filter for air intake, I'd now check for exhaust restrictions.
RGFlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
donchambers

Quote:
It just started a few months back the Ford dealership just did a regular tune up, they kept insisting that V10 Triton does not need a tune up until it gets to about 100,000 miles I find that hard to believe but anyway if I kick it down then it loses power to the point I have to down shift in 3rd then it shows down to the point you have to down shift to 2nd in order to get up the hill. the RPM's when the Banks systems kicks in get around to 4,000 RPMs to the point where you feel you are going to blow the engine. I have no issues burning fuel for a 75 gallon tank I can travel 410 miles on a 1/4 of a tank of gas not bad. It's interesting to see a 40 foot gas coach towing a vehicle pass you by while you are in the slow lane with the tractor trailers.
From what you said about the fuel mileage, that would mean you are getting 22 mpg if what you said is the case. Or did you mean to say when you went 410 miles you had 1/4 tank left? and not on a 1/4 tank! I would check the fuel filter, air filter and cat, then take it back to the ford dealership and ask if maybe they didn't hook up something up.
donchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #12
JIMNINA

If the issue started after the dealer tuned it I would take back to them. They could have misgapped the plugs or misrouted vacuum lines. I have a 330HP diesel pusher and had the same issue in Georgia. I was down to 30 mph going up the hills there. Turned out I picked up some bad fuel and the filter was plugged up. It also took out 3 injectors and that is why I menkioned if it started after the tuneup I would take it back to the dealer.
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #13
Truck55

Quote:
You get 410 miles on a 1/4 tank of gas/
Truck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #14
Sudsy

Non-linear fuel guage. I bet it took about 35 gallons!

Sudsy