Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
GStream40
Site Team

Default Gasoline Hits $3.199 @ Gallon !!!!

The gasoline prices in our area today are at $3.199 @ gallon !!!!!!

I imagine that diesel will follow the raise in price shortly. That will surely hurt the RV industry.

The only reason I can see for this is one word for the oil companies:

GREED !!

How will this effect everyone's RV travel plans this summer?

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
RJ82much

I've been using the "G" word for some time now. Everyone in this area whines about the cost, as do I. I don't get any sympathy though when I talk about greed. My coworkers seem to think we NEED this? HUH???

I am so sick 'n tired of watching the station owner's tripping over themselves to get to their signs every stinking time the news says "gas will go up." It's like they've been given a license to rape & pilege.

I guess I'm not having a good day nowing that I have to drive nearly 600 miles in the next 3 days....... (in car, not MH). I do have a 600 mile round trip to make in MH at begining of June... gasp, 6mpg

Happy weekend everyone, mine starts right now!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
coolchas11

I tend to agree with the "G" factors. Interesting that in Jan/Feb it was the need for heating oil that started the increase. Now it's refineries in need of repair, etc. Travel plans? We are going to hit the road and pay whatever the diesel prices are. Not much else to do. We have a new MH and "need" to use it. Charlie
Old 05-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
Maggie

I think if the RV dealers would get together and put pressure on the
government things would change. Most of you are to young to remember
when this happened when Dick Nixon was president. He said "No Way"
He wouldn't allow them to raise the prices. Oh for the good old days.
Our national leaders of both parties could stop it if they wanted to. But
I guess if I had stock in the oil companies I would be just like they are and say " Let the good times roll."
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
gsadmin

I will have to take the other side on this one.

My take is that the oil companies are simply opportunistic and it is the market that ultimately drives the price. If it is too high, then the market reacts as it has done and started using less fuel by buying more economical vehicles. In fact, if you look at the price of gas adjusted for inflation, its barely at an all-time high.

No one ever thought the market could handle gas prices in the high two dollar+ range. When Katrina hit and they had a "reason" to jack them up, the economy took it in stride and it was proven that the market could handle the higher price.

Also, there is the other side of the equation. Supply. There are so many hurdles to building new refineries that they simply don't build them. And, new fuel formulations and seasonal requirements have placed more fault prone equipment into the refineries. Couple that with the fact that the oil companies know that the market can handle $3 gas and there is hardly an incentive to make sure they run at 90%+ efficiency.

The only solution to this is a national gas company like Pemex in Mexico...and we all know how well the govenrment runs business...

So, there you have it.

Oh, and one other thing...the reason that $3 gas does not make the market flinch is because there is so much disposable income in the economy that is caused by three things:

1. More two income families that that are "required" to support their "needs" (like multiple cell phones, satellite TV, and on and on)
2. Lower cost of true "necessity" goods such as clothing and some foods (again adjusted for inflation -- $6 kids pants at wallmart -- 30 years ago my toughskins cost that much -- thank the imports for that)
3. High Real Estate Equities and loos lending policies

One last thing...I pay 99 cents for a dozen eggs and $1.67/gallon for milk here in SLC. In some other areas of the country those cost 3x that and the cost is not justifified by trucking costs or other reasons...why does it happen? Same reason...market economics...people will pay the $5 and can pay the $5 for that gallon of milk or the $3 for eggs.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
justlizz

You lucky chaps I am paying about ?4 a gallon $7 to8 but my truck will do about 25-30 miles per gallon towing
lizz
Old 05-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
coolchas11

Hi Lizz, Come on over to Monroe, CT.......$3.25 a gallon! But now diesel is less than gas at $2.89. Charlie
Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
justlizz

Diesel is dearer than gas with us by a few pence but I am off to France next week for 3 weeks and it is a little cheaper over there and I will be doing a quick trip to Belgium as Tobacco is more than half price so what we save pays for the ferry trip and the beer and Southern Comfort we bring back as it is a lot cheaper
lizz
Old 05-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
earljan34

Lizz, Go easy on the Southern Comfort it's bad for your health All kidding aside have a great trip and enjoy life is short!!

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
by8s

When we started full timing gas was $1.36 a gal. We parked this spring in defiance of the $3.00+ prices (kind of like spitting against the wind). However we have been renewing old friendships, got a good part time job, and having a good time in general. We plan on doing this through the winter and see what happens next year.
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote