Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
mhogge

Default 05 Sun Voyager ?

Happy to have this forum, as I have a few issues that GS has not addressed, so here goes:

1) I ordered my "04" coach to be picked up at the factory and was told when it was scheduled to go online. After waiting anxiously for this to happen (2-3 weeks?) I was informed that it would NOT go online on that date as they would be shutting down the line to retool for the new "05's" So the good news was that I would be getting a new "05" model, well my wife and I were excited to say the least!

SO why does my 05 look exactly like an 04? according to the VIN it is siiting on an 04 chassis. I've asked several people at GS, and have yet to recieve an answer???

2) I also paid extra for the Maple (vs oak) SO why is the toilet door, the pocket door and the crown molding OAK?? I recived an answer from the regional rep on this one, "thats the way we always build them"

3) My dinette table leg was to short and when I took it back to the factory for some other warranty issues they were supposed to replace it so my coffee wouldn't slide off! well they didn't have it in time and promised to mail it to me which they did after several calls, it was also to short! after a couple more calls the re-shipped and when that one arrived it was shorter that the first two.

I really love the coach, but would really like some answers, and I believe I should be entitled to some kind of compensation? wouldn't you think.

I have some other minor issues but don't want to bore everyone.

Thanks for listening, and thans for the forum.

Mel[/img]
mhogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
tonigil

Mel
You are a wood crafter, right? You must know another wood worker with a shop. Bring your rig to him and have them make you a leg for your RV. Ask for a bill and send it to GS via registered email. Make sure you address it to the person you deal with at GS and a copy of it to the service manager. And maybe even a copy to Jim Creech. Make sure though that they are registered return receipt. This should be covered under warranty and they should pay for it since they can't send you the right size. Just my opinion.
Toni
Owner of a 2005 BTC 24ft.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
gsadmin

As far as the chassis is concerned: In fairness to GS, the coach year and the chassis year do not always coincide.

My chassis was built in 2002 and delivered in 2003 (its a 2003 chassis) and I have a 2004 coach. Due to the build up lag time, this will often happen.

One thing however, make sure that your chassis warranty was set to to your purchase date by the dealer. Mine was set by Ford to be 1/2003 so that on delivery I had nearly half my warranty gone!
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
tonigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsadmin
As far as the chassis is concerned: In fairness to GS, the coach year and the chassis year do not always coincide.

My chassis was built in 2002 and delivered in 2003 (its a 2003 chassis) and I have a 2004 coach. Due to the build up lag time, this will often happen.

One thing however, make sure that your chassis warranty was set to to your purchase date by the dealer. Mine was set by Ford to be 1/2003 so that on delivery I had nearly half my warranty gone!
I have to agree with you. Every RV we have owned had a chassis that was made the year before. I also agree that you should always make sure that the warranty date is set to the date of purchase. Toni
Old 06-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #5
gsadmin

I forgot to add though that the responses you have received and the lack of response do still qualify this for "The Wall of Shame"
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 06-06-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
tonigil

Quote:
I forgot to add though that the responses you have received and the lack of response do still qualify this for "The Wall of Shame"
I agree with you. This is a shame. I had a rusted chassis with my first MH. When I investigated further. I found that the chassis was made 2 years prior to my purchase. I went to the dealer and he said that they make 100's of chassis and they lay in a lot until the MH mfg takes them to built the MH. I told them this was not acceptable. So they said they would do a free undercoating on the chassis.
I do a lot of woodworking and also work with renewing wrought iron. In order for the Rustoleum to work, the rust has to be removed prior to painting. I couldn't understand how an undercoating was going to help the rust cituation. It would only cover it up so that I don't see it. So they gave me another written guarantee stating that the chassis will not rust further nor will it cause a future problem with the structure. This, in my opinion, was C@$%. The solution....after 2 years we traded up to a larger unit. And God Help the new owner. Sorry. I didn't sell it, I traded it. Toni
Old 06-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #7
RayChez1

Default Wall of Shame

Why is it wall of shame, if the company is willing to do something about your problem it should not be in shame. Now as far as the chassis being a year older then what the coach year is, is very understandable. If you were to see how many chassis they buy at a time you would understand. They have to order these chassis way in advance time to keep production lines moving. Gulfstream has been very good to me. When I ordered my coach with Walnut cabinets, that is what I got. We are real pleased with our Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser so far. I'm even thinking of buying me a 42' 2006 model. The only thing I don't care for is the prices have sky rocketed to over three hundred thousand. I also was hoping they would add a tag axle to the forty two footer. Gulfstream has just opened up their new customer service building. According to my friend Robert Bernardelli it is a state of the art building where they will be able to help customers twenty four hours a day. He told me Gulfstream is really working on trying to be number one in customer satisfaction. OH! Robert is the main man in customer service in Nappanee, Ind.[/b]
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
gsadmin

Default Re: Wall of Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Why is it wall of shame, if the company is willing to do something about your problem it should not be in shame.
I think that even when a manufacturer makes right on something it does not necessarily take them out of "shame". Many times, the issue should not have ever left the factory in the state it was in. And, many of these issues are not "one-offs".

I think one of the biggest issues in the RV world (in addition to CS) is QA. The approach in the RV world has often been to get them out the door and if there are issues, "well, thats why we have a dealer network and a warranty". That type of approach IS shameful.

I love my coach. That said, I can go down a long list of items that were in a state such that it should have NEVER passed QA. True, the dealer took care of MOST of the issues, but it still was shameful.

The issue with my hatch supports is still unresolved and is definately shameful. Who, on a $90k motorhome builds it with struts or supports on only some of the doors? Then, when queried the customer (me) is told it was built "to design"!
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
tonigil

Default Re: Wall of Shame

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Why is it wall of shame, if the company is willing to do something about your problem it should not be in shame.
I think that even when a manufacturer makes right on something it does not necessarily take them out of "shame". Many times, the issue should not have ever left the factory in the state it was in. And, many of these issues are not "one-offs".

I think one of the biggest issues in the RV world (in addition to CS) is QA. The approach in the RV world has often been to get them out the door and if there are issues, "well, thats why we have a dealer network and a warranty". That type of approach IS shameful.

I love my coach. That said, I can go down a long list of items that were in a state such that it should have NEVER passed QA. True, the dealer took care of MOST of the issues, but it still was shameful.

The issue with my hatch supports is still unresolved and is definately shameful. Who, on a $90k motorhome builds it with struts or supports on only some of the doors? Then, when queried the customer (me) is told it was built "to design"!
I am sorry I think I misled you guys. My first coach was NOT a Gulf Stream. I do love my GS BTC. I have had minor issues and all has been resolved under warranty with an independent RV repair shop. I was just trying to explain how this happens in a lot of MHs. Sorry.
Toni
Old 07-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
gsadmin

My comment was in reference to the lack of response and QC issues from the original poster, not your postings Toni. Thanks for the clarification, though.
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT