Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
GO BLUE

Default Bedroom slide wood deteriorating

07 Tourmaster bedroom right slide has four rollers that roll on a fibreglass sheet covering the wood on the bottom of slide out...the wood is deteriorating under the rear most roller and now the front is wearing out the cover which will expose the wood....then slide will not go in or out without extra help ( jack to get out crow bar to lift to get in....Im out of orig warranty but have a policy.....anyone else had this problem ....Im thinking of replacing wood with aluminum panel....any ideas jim k
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
PChez

Are you sure your warranty has expired? But if you have an extended warranty don't try and fix it yourself because you will have problems with the extended warranty policy. Give them a call and explain what the situation is. They will send a person to check it out and to give the approval. But if you start working on it and then report it, they probably wouldn't even pay.
But anyways I am not positive, but I thought that the house part had like five year warranty. Check your paper work and manuals, you would be surprise.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
coolchas11

Aisde from the slide not working how would I check to see if the wood on our TM is deteriorating? Thanks, Charlie
Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
PChez

Default Slide repairs

That is a good question. Why do you think the wood is deteriating. Can you see any of the wood? I looked at mine today to see what you were talking about and mine has four rollers. Two on one end and two on the other, but in the bottom of the slide. These rollers roll on a T beam and act as guides more then anything else. The rollers are mounted sideways on mine, but I couldn't see any wood anywhere. Mine is all metal in the base of the slide. The side sheets are also metal on the Scenic Cruiser. So I am not sure about your TM. If you have extended warranty, I sure would not mess around with it. Call the insurance you have and explain the problem. They will send a rep to inspect it and give you the authorization to get it fixed and pay for it. Probably all you have to pay is the deductable. On mine it was fifty dollar deductable.
Good luck.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
David Bott

Hello...

We had the issue on our 2008 TM. (Yes, 200 It was resolved by adding 1/8" sheet metal that was winder than the roller and it's bracket and just screwed with like 4 screws on both sides. We did this for the two end rollers.

To get it in, we used a jack and 2x4. You only need to lift it enough to get the metal in.

Do not replace the wood as it is the floor of the slide. Just add in the metal so it will not compress from the weight like the wood did.

Doing this GREATLY helped the slide out. This solution came about between myself and a tech at Dick Gores RV World in Jacksonville, FL. Showed it to Gulf Stream at a later point and they liked the design. It has been done on a friends TM also.

If you would like a photo, please PM me your address and I will snap one with my iPhone and send it over as soon as I get the chance.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
GO BLUE

David you did what I'm trying to convince the body shop to do....however you say dont remove the wood......under the rear most roller the wood is already gone.....where it is gone there is a different material that maybe wood or metal I really didnt look that hard.....I was thinking of removing that plywood that is all flaking ...it is already been wet and every time I try to cut back to a good area it just flakes off..so I was thinking a quarter inch piece of metal to take place of wood altogether.....Hyall I'll take pix's when I get back to the bus next week.....jim k
Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
rdlamb

Hi Jim:
I saw David's metal sheets, on his slide, and had mine done as well.
I bought 18ga stainless steel sheets at a sheet metal store. $8.00 each.

Get them wide enough to cover all your damage. I would agree, just put it over the floor, damage and all. Spray glue on the metal plate.

The tech who fixed mine used a crowbar to lever the slide up on each end.

Sure makes the slide go in and out much easier. Gulf Stream should use thin sheets of heavy duty nylon to protect the floor.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
rdlamb

Oh, to explain why I would put them over the damaged wood. There is no easy way to remove the wood. You would have to remove the slide (IMHO) in order to cut away or otherwise replace the wood.

The stainless steel sheets are able to withstand the stresses of the slide, without bending or deforming. If you are really worried, use 16ga.

Stainless steel is extremely tough. You have to use a cobalt drill bit to drill it. You can use a hacksaw to cut it, but are much better off if you have it cut professionally.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
GO BLUE

I found a RV body shop near fort myers and he's working with my RV vehicle insurance...they had me take all the lower drawers out and they are replacing the wooden floor in the slide out from the inside and adding a metal plate to the bottom where the rollers are....says it will take about a week I'm taking it up there in two weeks............
Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
rdlamb

Excellent. Please post the results.
If you have any input, make it a stainless steel plate, 18 - 16 ga.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
GO BLUE

Update on slideout replaced whole bottom of slideout .....then they epoxyed the whole thing......they are adding stainless steel strips
under each roller.....it will be better than new...............
Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
David Bott

Wow...Outstanding! Good thing it was covered. How long has this been taking? I mean, to remove the entire floor of the slide out. Ouch!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
GO BLUE

One week start to finish....................
Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
nonracer03

We had the same problem with the plywood deteriorating on the bottom of the bedroom slide. The opening was also out of square and it leaked when it rained. It took several attempts to repair it. They finally removed the slide and replaced the bottom with stainless steel plate, and squared up the opening, repaired and painted around the opening. This last time the repair was done they had the coach for 32 days. We had a difficult time finding a dealer who would attempt to repair the problem. The coach is a 07 Crescendo, now that the leaks are corrected we love the coach, but the first year we had it I kicked my rear side several times wishing we had our old motorhome a 2000 Mountainaire back. Safe motorhoming to all.
nonracer03 is offline   Reply With Quote