Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Yogisan

Default Camco 57268 Mounting Rail

I recently bought the Camco Olympian 5500 grill for our 2017 GS Vintage Cruiser 19RBS. I also ordered the Camco 57268 Mounting Rail to attach it to the exterior of our trailer. The rail is sturdy metal with a few holes. It comes with an ominous warning that attaching to the skin of the coach will not be sufficient to support the weight of a grill and a backing plate may be required. It suggests professional installation. I don't doubt I could do this myself but we are new to travel trailers and I am not familiar with their framing. I didn't find any useful info on the web. I tried locating studs with my stud finder but the results were confusing. I was searching to the left of the awning near what would likely be the shower / bathroom cabinet. If there are wooden studs they didn't register with the stud finder. When set to scan for metal there appeared to be some sort of horizontal cross beam and perhaps a vertical one. I considered digging around from the inside in the bathroom but don't relish the thought of tearing up the shower stall. Any tips on mounting this rail would be greatly appreciated. Well, anything other than "take it to a qualified technician" because that will be the final straw ..

Thanks!

..Jim
Yogisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogisan View Post
I recently bought the Camco Olympian 5500 grill for our 2017 GS Vintage Cruiser 19RBS. I also ordered the Camco 57268 Mounting Rail to attach it to the exterior of our trailer. The rail is sturdy metal with a few holes. It comes with an ominous warning that attaching to the skin of the coach will not be sufficient to support the weight of a grill and a backing plate may be required. It suggests professional installation. I don't doubt I could do this myself but we are new to travel trailers and I am not familiar with their framing. I didn't find any useful info on the web. I tried locating studs with my stud finder but the results were confusing. I was searching to the left of the awning near what would likely be the shower / bathroom cabinet. If there are wooden studs they didn't register with the stud finder. When set to scan for metal there appeared to be some sort of horizontal cross beam and perhaps a vertical one. I considered digging around from the inside in the bathroom but don't relish the thought of tearing up the shower stall. Any tips on mounting this rail would be greatly appreciated. Well, anything other than "take it to a qualified technician" because that will be the final straw ..

Thanks!

..Jim
There's usually something substantial to get a screw into at the horizontal belt line.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
muleman

I have a 17rd vista cruiser and mine came with a mount off the back bumper for a grill to attach to then there is a gas line under the entry door side at the back for this. I would check into fender mount before trying to attach into the side. Also I believe the studs are going to be aluminum .
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote