Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
FredF

Default Awning Won't Retract

I have a Carefree of Colorado electric awning on my 2018 6320 Motorhome. The awning goes out when I push the button but will not retract. I had this same problem once before while it was under warranty and they found a pinched wire. When they replaced the wire it worked. After a few months it stated having the same problem. I can roll it up by hand as my wife pushes the button. It seems it's trying to roll it up but doesn't have the power to do it.
Anyone have this problem or suggestions ?
FredF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
Moe

I had the same problem. Problem was an electrical connector at motor. I removed the connector and solder the wires together. I have read that this is often a weak motor that can not pull the awning back in. Checking the connection is easier and less expensive first step.
Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
FredF

Default Fixed ( Maybe )

Thanks Moe.
I brought it into the dealer and relayed to him what your experience was. After a few hours he said it was "fixed". I was not allowed to watch what the tech did. So I asked what the problem was and the service writer said they replaced the motor.
I have my doubts. I'm not an electrical engineer but if the motor can push the awning out, and it tries to pull it in but fails; and they replace the motor with a new motor ( presumably the same make / model ) have they really fixed the problem ?
But what can you do ? Wait and see. I won't be camping for about 5 weeks.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredF View Post
Thanks Moe.
I brought it into the dealer and relayed to him what your experience was. After a few hours he said it was "fixed". I was not allowed to watch what the tech did. So I asked what the problem was and the service writer said they replaced the motor.
I have my doubts. I'm not an electrical engineer but if the motor can push the awning out, and it tries to pull it in but fails; and they replace the motor with a new motor ( presumably the same make / model ) have they really fixed the problem ?
But what can you do ? Wait and see. I won't be camping for about 5 weeks.
Maybe it takes more torque to pull it in?
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Microguy

Yes, takes more to go uphill that downhill.

If the motor worked before, it could be the brushes inside, or an electrical connection to/from the motor. Sometimes, electrical contacts will corrode or oxidize. Then you can get all kinds of bad juju. Poor contacts can even act like semiconductors in some cases.

And yes, replacing it with the exact same motor, "I" would expect the same problem. But it could be they were kind enough to upgrade the motor to a better one.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #6
FredF

Default And Again

The awning failed to retract while in Florida during the winter. In April when weather was warm enough they replaced the awning motor again. It worked when tested at the dealership. First camping trip of year was July 1 weekend. Failed again. Dealership said "Gee - wonder what that could be". They will investigate and let me know. It's been 3 weeks and nothing heard.