Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
jetjock

Default Wiring Fridge to Automatically Go to Battery When Driving

There have beem a few posts about the trailer Fridge not going to battery when driving. I sent this reply to one of the members, but I thought it might be of interest to others. This is wiring for a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and a Dometic RML-8555 Fridge, but it should work on any vehicle and a Dometic AES (Automatic Energy Selector) fridge.

It took me quite a lot of time to research but, I now have my Dometic RML 8555 3-way AES Fridge wired up to automatically select 12V when driving.

You will need a wiring diagram of your vehicle's ignition system. You have to splice a wire to the wire that goes to the RUN contact on your ignition switch (Pin 2 on my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan). You have to run this wire to the D+ (may be labelled "Ignition Plus") terminal of the 3 section 12V DC Electronic Terminal Block on the Fridge. The other connections to that Terminal Block are + (plus) and - (negative) and they are already connected directly to the trailer battery. I ran the wire from the ignition switch to the center (unused) terminal of my vehicle power recepticle and another wire from the the center connecter of the trailer power cord to the D+ terminal on the fridge.

Works like a charm. Now when my fridge is on AUTO (120V) and I unplug the trailer, the fridge automatically goes to GAS. Once I hook up and turn the ignition switch on, the fridge goes to 12V. When I stop and turn off the van, the fridge stays on 12V for a 15 min. delay. This ensures that the fridge doesn't go to GAS while you are fueling up your vehicle. After the 15 min. delay, if ignition power is not restored, the fridge switches to GAS. If you plug it in, the fridge goes to 120V. Hope this helps.

If more info is required, contact me at [email protected]. I will send some diagrams that are too big to attach here.