Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
BigRed8100

Default Spare Tire

We just purchased a 2004 Canyon Trail bunkhouse w/"garage" 5th wheel; but, it didn't come with a spare tire. Since I will be buying a spare tire, I'm curious where is the best place to store it. Do folks mount the spare on the back bumper or do most people store it in the back storage ("garage") area ?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated !

Rick & Angie
BigRed8100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Roy Buzzard

I have a 2004 canyon trail TT with the garage, I currently have my spare in the garage storage, but it does take up quite a bit of room. Intend to put my spare on bumber with a mount that folds down allowing easy access to getting into the garage.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Timothy

Hi Rick & Angie and welcome to the forum. I have the same trailer as you, when I ordered it the spare tire was an option. It was mounted in the garage area, I removed it and store it in the front storage compartment now I push it all the way in. I have the stow away room option so the front storage is only accessable from the road side anyway. You can see some of the modifications that I have done at the links below. Good luck with your new trailer!

http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum...el.msnw?Page=1

http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum...el.msnw?Page=2

http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum...el.msnw?Page=3

http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum...il.msnw?Page=1 (there are 3 pages in this album too, if you want to see them all.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
BigRed8100

Thanks Tim !!

Nice pictures ! You do pretty nice work !

I was planning on buying a bumper mount; however, with two kids I decided to use the bumper space for a bicycle carrier (eventually). I in the front basement and have a good spot there for the spare.

My priorities changed during the past day. A simple process of filling the water tank is hanging me up - no matter how slow I put the water in the gravity fill with the hose it reverses flow and won't allow any flow into the tank. Another topic I'll be researching now.

Thanks again for responding !
Rick and Angie
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Kathy

Send a message via MSN to Kathy Send a message via Yahoo to Kathy

My DH was real creative and purchased a spare tire carrier off a junk yard and mounted it under the bottom of the unit between the jacks. Now our spare is out of the sun and weather all the time. He said if he had to get it down on the road he would rather be out of the path of passing motorist and this looked like a good space to mount it.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed8100
Thanks Tim !!

Nice pictures ! You do pretty nice work !

I was planning on buying a bumper mount; however, with two kids I decided to use the bumper space for a bicycle carrier (eventually). I in the front basement and have a good spot there for the spare.

My priorities changed during the past day. A simple process of filling the water tank is hanging me up - no matter how slow I put the water in the gravity fill with the hose it reverses flow and won't allow any flow into the tank. Another topic I'll be researching now.

Thanks again for responding !
Rick and Angie
Thanks for the compliment! As for filling your fresh water tank I had a simaler problem. What I did was take the small hose that comes with the winterizing kit that you hook to the water pump and butt one end up to the vent in the water fill door. Blow into the other end of the hose and you will here water gurgle until the vent is clear. You should be able to fill your tank now. I have to do this at least once a year, the fill hose has a low spot in it and water works its way into the vent.

Tim
Old 06-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
BigRed8100

Thanks again Tim !!

That worked !