Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
greenmtnman

Default Newbi from Vermont looking to buy 09 amerilite

I don't have a TT yet but we are looking at a 09 ameri lite 24 footer. lh I think is the code.

I do have a few question's for the forum about this model.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6 4.0L automatic 4x4. Would this be a good TV for this camper?
I still don't have a trailer hitch yet I'm planning on getting a cl3 hitch.
Is there anything I should check for on this camper that seams to pop up on this site? leaks anything that are problem's?
I read on this site that this model is the cheapest of these campers. Is this a good or a bad thing?
Cheap in price doesn't mean bad craftsmanship or does it in this case?

Mid to late 60's couple looking to travel w/o having headache with what we will be pulling to see the country.

thanks for your help
greenmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
TUPFAM

Default Re: Newbi from Vermont looking to buy 09 amerilite

It looks like your tow rating is 5080 lbs. The dry weight of the 24BH is 3625 lbs.(per the link in the other thread) If this is a used unit, there should be a sticker somewhere in the trailer(usually in a cabinet in the galley)stating the UVW. This is the weight that the trailer weighs with any added options(awning, A/C, etc., anything not included in a base model) add approximately 500 lbs. to the UVW for your gear, food, clothes, etc. and that will give you a better idea of what the real towing weight is. The real killer is the amount of drag that a full height travel trailer puts on a tow vehicle. In addition to a hitch installation, you will also need a brake controller and associated wiring, a good weight distribution hitch & sway control, towing mirrors and you might consider a transmission cooler if one is not already on your vehicle. Only you will be able to determine how comfortable of a towing combo this will be. With any used camper, check for any evidence of leaks such as soft spots on the floor, staining on the walls or ceiling or moldy smell. Also make sure all appliances work. From what I have read, GS campers are no more or less cheaply made than most of the other major brands out there.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
greenmtnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPFAM
It looks like your tow rating is 5080 lbs. The dry weight of the 24BH is 3625 lbs.(per the link in the other thread) If this is a used unit, there should be a sticker somewhere in the trailer(usually in a cabinet in the galley)stating the UVW. This is the weight that the trailer weighs with any added options(awning, A/C, etc., anything not included in a base model) add approximately 500 lbs. to the UVW for your gear, food, clothes, etc. and that will give you a better idea of what the real towing weight is. The real killer is the amount of drag that a full height travel trailer puts on a tow vehicle. In addition to a hitch installation, you will also need a brake controller and associated wiring, a good weight distribution hitch & sway control, towing mirrors and you might consider a transmission cooler if one is not already on your vehicle. Only you will be able to determine how comfortable of a towing combo this will be. With any used camper, check for any evidence of leaks such as soft spots on the floor, staining on the walls or ceiling or moldy smell. Also make sure all appliances work. From what I have read, GS campers are no more or less cheaply made than most of the other major brands out there.
Thanks for the reply
I didn't see one UVW will call and ask her to give me the numbers. I'm planning on a break controller and a break away, plus a weight distribution & sway bars. Safety first.
What would you say is a good break controller and weight distribution set up is?

the TT is clean no water spots no soft floors. It is the first TT I saw in the past month or two that was in such good condition being used and all. The weight and the height is my concern. I just cant locate any hilo's/towlite in good condition that are made after 2002 in the NE.

thanks for your input

lenk
greenmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
TUPFAM

I use the Prodigy P2 http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...l-17-0091.html. It is a pretty popular and easy to use controller. A lot of people use the Equal-i-zer brand hitch http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...h-14-2927.html. It is a weight distribution hitch with built in sway control(no need for a sway bar). I use a hitch that is made by Reese, similar to the Equal-i-zer, but is discontinued. Lots of people use standard WDH with a sway bar and are very happy with them. You can check sites like Etrailer or RV Wholesalers for lots of options of hitches and controllers.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
beandoggy

Hi- We tow an AmeriLite 27bhs (5308 lbs) with our 2005 Explorer V8 (tow capacity is 7k for the V8, 5k for the V6) without issue.We use a Blue-Ox sway/weight distribution system that makes towing easy. The hills of New Hampshire and Maine are a bit taxing, but overall we are really happy. Hope this information helps!
beandoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
dockmasterdave

Hi: I have an Amerilite 21 MBLE and pull it with an F 150 with the 4.3 V6 and after market tow equipment. The wind drag is the biggest drawback. The trailer weighs about 3800 as towed. The truck is rated for 5000lbs. I added a prodigy p3, sway bar weight distributing hitch, and trans cooler. I'm only towing on flat ground in FL and if on the highway it tends to hunt for gears. We usually try to use secondary roads anyway so no real problems. Good luck.
dockmasterdave is offline   Reply With Quote