Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
jeg1944

Default Dometic Refrigerator in 2013 Gulfstream Visa

I have a 2013 Gulfstream Visa 19ERD and the refrigerator has quit cooling on gas or 12 volt. I took it in to Southern RV in Tyler TX to have it checked and I'm thinking warranty work. Well to my surprise it turns out that the refrigerator is a 2011 model that GulfStream put in at the factory when it was built in 2013. Soooo no warranty from Dometic and as of yet no response from Gulfstream as to why they would put a 2 year (now 4 year) old refrigerator in a new trailer and sell it as new. Y'all might want to get your model / serial numbers and check to make sure you got a new one. I love the trailer floorplan, etc but I'm really disappointed with the manufacturer at this point. I'll post further details as the saga continues.
jeg1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #2

Default Re: Dometic Refrigerator in 2013 Gulfstream Visa

''I have a 2013 Gulfstream Visa 19ERD and the refrigerator has quit cooling on gas or 12 volt''

Doe's the refrigerator works on the 120 volts AC ?
Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
jeg1944

Yes, it works on 120. Tech rep says the circuit board is out.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
jeg1944

Well, Here's the last of the story. Dometec won't warranty the repair. Gulf Stream was no help as in "sorry about your luck", and the new board was quite expensive and would only be warrantied for 2 months. I replaced the refrigerator and now I know what I have and it is a 2015 unit warrantied for 2 years. Cost was high but I figured it was worth it, because being the second owner, I wasn't sure whether the original had been abused or not. Now on to camping worry free about whether the food is cold or not!!! Making a Christmas trip to the Houston, Texas area to visit family. Merry Christmas Ya'll!
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
RinconVTR

You need to fight Gulfstream on this, and work with your dealer to do so. This is 100% on Gulfstream and what they opted to install. Their decision to put an older fridge will not cost them, it should not cost you.

If all else fails, file a complaint with your State. This is a real easy case, the State should be able to protect the consumer here.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
atreis

Seems to me it's potentially on both - warranties usually start at the time the appliance (or whatever) is sold, not the date of manufacture.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis
Seems to me it's potentially on both - warranties usually start at the time the appliance (or whatever) is sold, not the date of manufacture.
Absolutely right. But the RV world doesn't play by the same rules, or at least they do everything possible not to.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
philabele

I agree that Gulfstream should reimburse you at a minimum for the cost of the repair. If your Deale won't help you, then one other avenue would be "Trailer Life" magazine. They have interceded on behalf of subscribers and are usually quite successful. In any event, Gulfstream should be responsible for the warranty based on the date of manufacture of the trailer. You could also file suit in Small Claims Court.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
jeg1944

All are great ideas, however most are expensive or time consuming and I just decided not worth the trouble. We love the lay out of the trailer but if it continues to become a money pit, I will sell/trade it. Rest assured it will not be a Gulfstream product and will be a more informed purchase. Thanks to all for your input. Happy trails.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
jeg1944

Ok, after reading all of your responses and feeling the indignation of my supporters, I went back to the Gulfstream warranty department and attempted to shame them for lack of other words. How dare they install out of warranty equipment in a new unit!! Got a two part answer that says because we can. 1. Second owner has no rights even if the unit is 2 months old. All warranty rights left with the first owner. Gulf Stream has no obligation. 2. The law allows a manufacturer up to a year to date a unit as to what year it is. Mine was actually built in Jan 2012, sold as a 2013 with a 2011 refrigerator. So all was good when sold per Gulf Stream. No harm no foul!!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
RinconVTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg1944
Ok, after reading all of your responses and feeling the indignation of my supporters, I went back to the Gulfstream warranty department and attempted to shame them for lack of other words. How dare they install out of warranty equipment in a new unit!! Got a two part answer that says because we can. 1. Second owner has no rights even if the unit is 2 months old. All warranty rights left with the first owner. Gulf Stream has no obligation. 2. The law allows a manufacturer up to a year to date a unit as to what year it is. Mine was actually built in Jan 2012, sold as a 2013 with a 2011 refrigerator. So all was good when sold per Gulf Stream. No harm no foul!!
Hold on. They are not being truthful.

The ONLY ting that matters is the original date of sale. That's when the warranty begins for the original and ALL owners thereafter. 100% positive fact. State to state laws may vary, but I doubt it. In the Automotive world, this applies throughout the USA.

Also, the fridge warranty actually has to go thru Gulfstream first as the installer, but ends with the manufacture. It doesn't matter then it was made, nor installed. It matters when the unit was SOLD. Period.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
jamesg

All, check out the Escape TT Owners blog. Reace, President of Escape, went after Dometic on this and won. Dometic is offering all owners, regardless of age/warranty status a new replacement model (dual door) if they pay the r&r cost. This is for "poor performance" much less failure!

The Dometic RML8555 is a dud. That is why they quietly agreed to help Escape owners. Now is Gulfstream assisting us? For me so far, no. I went to Dometic directly as Gulfstream Service suggests since 'you are their customer'. I guess if my car paint fades I go to DuPont because they provided the car company with the paint? I don't think so. We bought our trailers with no option for brand or model frig, it's Gulfstream who has the clout, not little fish, me.

Dometic told me to pick a "factory authorised service center", have the frig checked and then have them contact Dometic with their results. The problem, I have tried 4 service dealers none of which wanted to get involved in a dispute with Dometic. Don't know where this is going but I won't be going down without a fight!
jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote