Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
RJ82much

Default roof air conditioner

Hi all,

Wouldn't you know... I started the perfect start-up for the season; opened it up, started engine, started generator, opened slides, with a little dinking around, got the Fan-tastic vent roof lid open & fan running. Still kind of hot in coach, so started the front A/C .... good.

Then the proverbial crap hit the proverbial fan. Shut down front A/C & tried to start the rear unit... "hmmmmmm" but no air flow & popped breaker out at the generator. I can't get the A/C fan to turn. Sounds like compressor is running, but fan must be locked to trip the breaker.

Anybody ever have the roof cover off? What tools? Can you see the fan from topside? Anyone ever have their fan seize? Nothing in the Dometic manual, of course NOTHING in the GS (laughable) manual

Omen of season to come?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

I have heard of nests (birds, mice, insect) that block the fan from turning so maybe you will see something along those lines. I think they pop open but I am not sure and will recommend that someone else tell you how to open the cover. Good luck. Happy Camping.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
RV Wizard

Bob, get on the roof with a phillips screwdriver and remove the air conditioner shroud. You should be able to get to the blower wheel and see if the fan motor is stuck or if there is a foreign object holding it from turning. If it turns freely manually then you could have a bad capacitor. For this, I would recommend you have a qualified technician diagnose and repair. Good luck, hopefully it is just stuck from sitting all winter.
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
RJ82much

Thank you Mike (+ Amy & Muffin) & TSoul,

I'll post what I find. Since I'm terribly frightened of heights, & my 240 pound frame certainly stresses the ladder, I want to go up once, with the right tools. The unit worked right up till winter storage, so I assumed most likely debris or starting circuit failure.

Dometic claims 3-year warrantee, I'll see if they mean it.

Thanks again,

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
homecan

You don't need to go on the roof to check the fan. The blower fan is accessed by removing the panel from below. Remove the air filter cover, then remove the galvanized sheet metal cover. You will see the squirrel cage. If it spins freely it is probably a capacitor. Since it blew the breaker, it is probably a bad motor.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
RJ82much

Homecan,

1st, what an unusual identity. I'd bet the story of the origination is interesting.

2nd, Right on about the access to the A/C from inside. Use samo-samo (for everything) square-point screwdriver to remove the 6 screws holding the plastic cover. Note: the 2 plastic hole plugs came out easily by gentle prodding with a knife. There was the squirrel cage blower.

It was siezed. I worked it a little (a little more aggresive than a "prod") & it loosened. After a few manual spins, I applied power & it runs fine.

My worry though, is how often will I have to go thru this? ...& why? I could not see the motor from inside. Are there any bearings that can be lubricated?

Thanks for the hint on how to easily get to the blower. It saved me a wasted trip up onto the roof.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
homecan

Really simple. It is my home e-mail and can is the first three letters of my last name. "homecan".

Anyway, I have never had a Dometic unit, only Coleman. My experience with small electric motors is that they cannot be lubricated and once they get stiff, they need to be replaced. I assume that it is accessible from below and that the motor itself can be replaced.

Check your manual and see if it offers any service info. Or try the Dometic website.

Since you are still under warranty, you should definitley fix it properly. You don't want to have to take the cover off and manually start the fan every time.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
RJ82much

As you will certainly find out, if not already aware, documentation is scant from Gulf Stream, though generally available from their suppliers.

Previously, I was unable to find the manuals for the Dometic model number I think is included in my coach. I believe I found it on their website today. If it turns out to be, then I have the correct parts list as well as the user's manual.

The assembly drawing seems to indicate that I will need to access the motor from outside. There is a note stating that the motor is not serviceable (permanent lubrication)... AND, the manual states that heat elements may already be installed in case one chooses to add the heater option! (wow, do I have some more investigation to do).

I cannot read the unit label the way it is mounted, but learned that often I can stick my digital camera close & take a picture to read from a more friendly perspective.

Again, thanks for the help & support.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 08-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
dbmotors

I had same issue with my AC (also the front one). I climbed on roof, and manually spun the motor, which freed it enough to work for one season. Next time I tried it, it wouldn't budge. I ended up replacing the electric fan motor, and has been fine ever since.

Not a big deal to replace it (other than cost of part). I simply cut the wires off the old motor, spliced the new ones back on, and was done in maybe 2 hours.

I did have to access it from the roof. Just had to pull off the main cover, and one shield inside to gain access.