Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
supertramp

Default Samsung MR1032BB RV Microwave Recall

I just purchased a 2004 Gulfstream TT that spent 3/4 of its life in storage almost everything inside is like new I found 2 recalls on the (Dometic Fridge that's being fixed) 2 the microwave a Samsung that apparently can turn on without warning and burn the camper down! I verified it b
With the model and serial through the NHTSA and Samsung, my problem is Samsung is giving me a hard time at first they kept demanding a invoice for the microwave itself, I finally got them to understand it was factory installed, now they want to give me $200 to cover the cost of it's replacement but I can't find a similar unit for less than $299.00 plus labor, unless I mysteriously come up with the original sales receipt (I did send them a copy of the title and a photo of the Gulfstream sticker showing the appliances installed by GS) has anyone ever dealt with Samsung apparently almost all Samsung RV Microwaves were affected and I don't think they tried very hard to contact the owners. I don't know we're to fo next with this if I take the$200 I still have to pay at least $100 to replace a almost new working microwave, Samsung said they can no longer fix it because it's too old and they don't make anything similar anymore, so they would only pay me to replace it, but it seems they will only give me 2/3 of what it would cost,

Just in case anyone else here has a recalled microwave it's a Samsung MR1032BB the recall is listed at Samsung site @. http://www.samsung.com/us/otrrecall/
Check yours they might owe you a money also we could band together to get them to do the right thing, they want to treat this like it's a countertop microwave you buy for your home when in fact it's no different than the airbag recall, they are supposed to remedy it at no cost to the end user regardless of how many owners there were (they also have tried to say I am not qualified because I'm the second owner of the RV)
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Samsung MR1032BB RV Microwave Recall

Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Not sure about the analogy to air bags it terms of "must fix at no charge to all subsequent owners" but this is serious if there is any fire danger. My coach has a Dometic microwave so I was not aware of any Samsung recall until I read your post.

There should be a separate AC breaker in the branch panel (the one downstream from all transfer switches so the microwave can run on the generator, inverter, or shore power...) For my 2007 Tour Master, it is breaker #4... At the very least, you should leave this breaker off when not actually using the microwave -- doing so will prevent any spontaneous power on events in the recalled Samsung appliance. Your travel trailer may not have a separate breaker for the microwave -- in that case unplug it (likely in a cupboard near the installed appliance) or at least leave the door ajar as recommended in the recall.

Is there an error code showing on the microwave, or is it fully functional at present? The briefest web search came up with the membrane switch on the control panel as being the defective part causing the 'spontaneous start' and it is part number EAP4224583 and should cost less than $25 or so...you can replace it yourself with guidance from YouTube videos if you are the least bit handy.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
Frutza

Well, you got farther than I did, they told me it was over, but, it's the keypad I put a new membrane in and problem solved