Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
RJ82much

Default No-body's fault really...

I didn't know where to put this, so here it is.

My Dometic refrigerator has not been been keeping things really cold, like when brand new. Frozen food was fine, but milk seemed warm. I put thermometer in fresh compartment & noticed that temp was well above the "safe" zone, regardless if on ac or gas. I just returned from (airplane) vacation to find temperature over 60 degrees!

To shorten the story, there was a discussion on a FCOC chassis forum that suggested that a too-warm compartment may be due to simple causes, rather than complicated fin adjustments, pressure, leakage, etc.

I removed the external access cover to find that the paint shop @ GS had masked off the vent holes from the inside when they painted the lower half during the replacement of my storage compartment doors last autumn. They then forgot to remove the tape, which couldn't be seen from the outside.

I removed the tape and the fresh-food compartment temperature plummeted to the ideal temperature. Problem solved.

BTW, I am not blaming anyone, no harm was done, it was a detail that was just overlooked. Amazing that the refrigerator worked as well as it did under the conditions. Lesson learned: Don't assume complicated causes until the simple ones have been eliminated.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
earljan34

Bob, Is that why you were looking for cold beer in strange places????
(in NH in June)

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
darbyjudy

Default What vent holes

I have a 2004 sunvoyager, would it have those vent holes? some times I don't think my refriderator is cold enough and other times it is freezing the food.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
RJ82much

My problem was with the large removable panel outside of the coach, directly behind the refrigerator, with 3 rows of vent holes. I'd say it is not likely to be your cause because my coach was re-painted and re-re-painted on a warranty claim. The first time was by the hacks at LongView RV. Then I was just fortunate to have it done right in the factory facilities. I'd guess masking of this nature is not used during original manufacture.

That said, it is certainly worth looking. The panel is held in place with 2 twisty-thingys. On the FCOC forum, there was a member who found paper plugging the ventlilation passage (to the roof), causing his fridge to perform eratically.

I think temperature adjustments are made by sliding the white plastic "thingy" with the wire, on the aluminum fin (upper, right, rear of fresh food compartment) up or down. I would guess that lowering it would cause temperature to go down & raising it would increase the compartment temperature. Accidently moving it when you stock your groceries (or for Earl, when removing your beer) could cause changes in temperature.

Another thing to remember is there is no circulation fan. Putting warm foods or leaving the door open will take a long recovery time.

And Earl, I'm thinking you could get a 6-pack hidden in that compartment behind the fridge... accessible from the lawn chair, & hidden from the neighbors.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote