Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
Dean Nix

Default What would you change?

sent this to Gulf Stream ...... What would you change about yours if anything? Had I realized these before hand I would have paid extra for them if they were an option or custom request.

I have a Gulf Stream, Canyon Trail 31FRBH. I would like to make the following suggestions that I feel would add large value for a small manufacturing cost.

- A light switch in the water closet. My children are not tall enough to reach the ceiling mounted fixture.

- A light switch in the Bunkhouse. My children are not tall enough to reach the ceiling mounted fixture. I would expect most Children could not.

- Some type of foot hold to help an occupant climb into the top bunk. My 8 year old can not get onto the top bunk with out help. Even I have to jump very awkwardly to get up and make her bed.

- A cabinet door on the back side of the kitchen sink cabinet. It would make the storage much more usable and accessible for maintenance or repair.

- A more secure way of securing the bottom bunk in the up position for storage in travel in the Pac-n-play area. The plastic strap and snap will not hold the bunk up for more that a few seconds.

- A rain gutter on the street (drivers) side. I really do not understand why it is provided on the curb side but not the street side. This one is very disappointing.

- Access to the bedroom slide mechanism for manual operation. As best as I can tell I will have to disassemble the bed to get under it to the manual connection.

Let me say that I love my Canyon Trail. And others may have a completely different list. These items were just a little disappointing in my unit. Where I can I will correct the design to my preferences. This will only increase my enjoyment of my unit.
'01 F250 C/C, Lariat, LWB, V-10 and 4.3 rear
That's 22' of truck
Last RV was a Class-a Cheiftain
Dean Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Timothy

Hi Dean, how's it going. As a happy Gulf Stream owner I feel like I'm in a minority! If post over on RV. Net I get accused of "having been paid off by Gulf Stream, Lying, not admitting I have a defective product".......and the list goes on. I would think there has to be more people that are happy with their Gulf Stream products or they would be out of business by now.
I'm glad we have this forum now, should be great for helping each other.

Although I have had excellent support from the factory it seems that many don't so it would be nice to see some consistency in the way that GS handles consumer complaints and be more expeditious when responding.

For your original question I agree with most of the things that you said, I have added the light switch in the bathroom myself, GS supplied the rain gutter for the street side at no cost to me and my dealer installed it. Because my bunkhouse is elevated the kids can reach the lights and I don't have a bedroom slide (wish I did).

The other things that I have done is to add an electric dump valve to the black tank, otherwise you had to reach way under to empty it, so they could come up with a better configuration for the dump valves. I also remodeled the bunk / garage area to create more storage for the bunkhouse, I will post pictures soon for those that are interested.

I had to have them upgrade my range to a 21 inch with piezo igniter, they did it at no charge but I think it should be standard on what they call a luxury unit. I had to remove some of the framing, re-cut it and mount the door lower for the cabinet under the stove because after the range was changed it left only about a 4" opening.

The other thing I wish is they would quit using the particle board covered with wood grain paper for the cabinets etc. This crap has to weigh a ton and if you have to work with it it's almost impossible to get out without breaking it.

I also asked my dealer if I could have another brand of tires when I ordered it and was told no. I haven't had any problems with the Carlisles but have read too many horror stories from those who have. Going on two years now and one was replaced by my dealer who found a bubble on the side when repacking my wheel bearings.

Been camping the last few weekends and heading out for a three weeker at the end of June. :P
Old 06-08-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Dean Nix

Hey Tim. I am glad you are still happy going on two years. I have put a door chain on the rear bunk, I went with the RVGutters for the street side and I know how I would bring in the bedroom slide if I needed to (it would be hard).

I too worry about the tires and when I do replace them it will likely not be with Carlisles. However, I have a theory that you simply hear more about Carlisle because there are so many out there (OEM supplier) and because when they do fail guys harp on them because of the "made in China" stamp
'01 F250 C/C, Lariat, LWB, V-10 and 4.3 rear
That's 22' of truck
Last RV was a Class-a Cheiftain
Dean Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
RayChez1

Hello Deen, What kind of coach do you have from Gulfstream that has particle board cabinets. I have a Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser and it has the real Walnut cabinets. No particle board here. I have read a lot of negative comments in this forum about Gulfstream, but I guess I am one of the lucky owners, because my coach has a lot of luxury in it. Some of you guys make me think that there are two standards with Gulfstream. I guess I will check some of their other products.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
gsadmin

Ray, I love the quality of most materials in my coach. I think it is a great value and the cabinets are well built as well. The main issue I keep seeing crop up with GS seems to be the consistency and quality of both the assembly as well as the customer service.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream Customer Relations

I have gotten several e-mails from Robert Bertenelli of Gulfstream telling me how Gulfstream was in transition to there new building which will accomodate all of customer service problems. He told me it was going to be a 24 hour customer service operation, and that Gulfstream was out to prove to it's customers that they are a worthy company to deal with. There was a lot of complains from customers while this was under construction, and communications between the customer and Gulfstream was not the best. He also said that Gulfstream is out to manufacture the best coaches for the dollar in the market today.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
Hello Deen, What kind of coach do you have from Gulfstream that has particle board cabinets. I have a Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser and it has the real Walnut cabinets. No particle board here. I have read a lot of negative comments in this forum about Gulfstream, but I guess I am one of the lucky owners, because my coach has a lot of luxury in it. Some of you guys make me think that there are two standards with Gulfstream. I guess I will check some of their other products.
If Dean doesn't mind I will answer this because I am the one that posted about the particle board. I have a 2004 Canyon Trail Y30FBRG. The cabinet doors are all oak however the framing is the lumber core type material - particle board that is wrapped with wood grain contact paper. It looks fine but hard to work with when you want to change anything, and I am always modifying something! The Canyon Trail is a mid line fifth wheel while the Yellowstone and Prairie Schooner are high end, I am not sure where the new Sedona model falls.
Your coach is in the upper end of Gulf Stream products so you probably do not have the lumber core in your coach. As my trailer is a 2004 model maybe the newer models have changed also.