Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
wvjeepers

Default Water Heater questions

I posted this in the FEMA section as well, but then I realized this may go better in the plumbing section.

I'm new to the forums, I just picked up a 2006 Gulfstream Caviler that was a unused Fema Trailer. I've set it up for permanant use on a lot near Summersville WV. I've got the water and sewer hooked up, and they will be installing power to my lot some time in the next week or so.

The questions I have are about the water heater, I would prefer to run the heater by electric only if possible (no propane), how can I tell if my WH is capable of this? and if it is, what do I have to do to run it in electric only mode?

The WH is a Atwood 10 gallon unit, here are a few pics

and just for fun, here are a few pics towing the camper up, and then sitting on my lot.

wvjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Conquest102

Default Re: Water Heater questions

Sorry to say yours is a propane only unit. If it was electric there would be a power cord coming into a rod where the drain plug is The good news is you can buy a kit to convert it to electric the kit is called HOTT ROD they sell them on Ebay.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
wvjeepers

I can live with that, thanks. This "hott rod" kit, does it screw into the hole for the anode rod? The anode rod was laying loose in the compartment, but the threads had rusted off, so if this kit replaces the anode rod, I'll get the electric kit instead.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Conquest102

I beleive it goes in place of the drain but I have been known to be wrong someimes
Old 07-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
wvjeepers

from what I can tell from reading around the net, the drain plug is the same hole where the anode rod would go, I think. The only hole that I've found is under the gas chamber. A anode rod was laying loose in the compartment, as was a plastic plug, since the rod was rusted up, I just stuck the plastic plug in there, it didn't leak, so I'm guessing thats the right one lol.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Timothy

your atwood heater shouldn't need an anode rod, it has an aluminum tank, the anode rod could fuse due to the disimaler metals. In atwood heaters the electical element is at the back of the heater not the front. Factory installed elements do not go in the drain hole.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
wvjeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy
your atwood heater shouldn't need an anode rod, it has an aluminum tank, the anode rod could fuse due to the disimaler metals. In atwood heaters the electical element is at the back of the heater not the front. Factory installed elements do not go in the drain hole.
I've read this as well, the anode rod was just laying in the compartment, I'm not sure if it had ever been installed, the rod looks unused, but left in the elements, so I'm not sure where it came from. I will not be putting a new rod in.

With that said, since you mentioned the factory element was in the back, is there a chance my unit has the electrical element? how do I tell
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Timothy

You can look at the back and see if there is a romex wire going to the heater if not it is gas only. It there is the switch may be on the back of the heater. On the last Atwood I had, keep in mind this was a 1994 trailer thats the way it was. It was a little black toggle switch. There should also be a circuit breaker in your electrical panel for the water heater, and there may also be a switch somewhere inside the trailer.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
wvjeepers

great, Thanks! The camper is parked on my lot 2 hours away, and I'm still waiting on the power company to hook it up, so it's difficult not being able to just walk outside and take a look to see what I have. I'm gonna try to run up there next week and check it all out.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Timothy

Okay, keep us posted on what you find.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
wvjeepers

my unit is definately propane only. It lit off the propane on the second try and worked great while camping the last few days. I still haven't decided if I'm gonna install a Hot Rodd kit or not,mostly depends on how fast I go through propane. 3 propane refills will buy a Hot Rodd kit
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Timothy

if your paying for the electric there would be no advantage to it, propane is cheaper per BTU.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
wvjeepers

thats good to know, I was thinking the electric would be less troublesome. I was pretty impressed with how well it worked/ease of operation, so I'll probably leave it as is.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Timothy

You could just turn it off when not needed, that will save you propane too. It should heat up within a half hour or so. Propane should last quite awhile anyway, the water heater really doesn't use that much, at least not in the summer.