Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
earljan34

Default warter tank

Hi , We just came back from a trip and three times the water tank has lost water, the only thing I can see is it comes out the over flow when driving, Left with a full tank drove 250mi the tank was only 1/3 full will a shut off in the over flow line help?

Thanks for any help.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
gsadmin

sounds like hole in tank to me...or, when you filled it you weren't level. but 50+ gallons coming out the oveflow due to sloshing in 4 hours of driving...doesn't seem possible to me.

Be careful adding a valve to the overflow...if you forget to open it up and add water...POP!
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Earl,

That is a build in feature to save you money by not hauling around excess water weight, using less fuel, saving you $$$$$.
Just kidding, couldn't resist!!

That is a lot of water to be going out the overflow/vent line. I am not sure that I would put a valve on the vent line since if you forget to open it when filling or pumping water out, it could damage the tank by causing pressure or vacuum in the tank.

Can you possibly raise the vent line so that there is a "high arch" in it so the water cannot flow out as easy? I had to do this on a previous RV. I had to extend the hose so that it actually went as high as the bottom of floor of the coach creating a large arch in it to keep the water from flowing out when traveling. That worked so that I didn't loose water.

Are you sure that your drain valve was not open, I forgot mine once and watered the driveway with about 30 gals before I saw it.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
earljan34

Thanks gsadmin, the leak was my first thought but no leaks. I have tried everything else there is a oneway valve nere the top of the tank lets air in but not out, I am at a loss to figure this one out, A fellow we were camping with said he had the same problem clames that he solved it by adding the shut off. I think the same as you were can 50gal go in 4hrs, I have checked to make shore the tank is full ,Tank remained full for 24hrs before we left. This is a new one on me.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
RJ82much

I was warned that you can also split your tank by overfilling it. The water can't exit the overflow fast enough & pressure will build.

Once, I filled by Sun Voyager tank to the top. Freaked when I saw a trail of water on the road behind me. Seemed like a lot of water flowed out (not 2/3 tank though). I guessed the overload fairy was helping me as well.

a) you travel with your water pump turned off I assume.
b) there are 3 drains. Are you sure they are all closed?
c) sounds like you've got it covered by inspecting after 24 hours & not a drop on the ground?
d) I've never checked, so I'm assuming the overflow tube does NOT extend into the tank? If it did, siphon action could empty the tank to the bottom of the tube (probably a stupid statement, but why not look just to humor me?)

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
earljan34

Bob its to dark to do it now but I will check out the over flow tomorrow. This has me stumped and a problem when no water is around to refill. I lucked out this weekend was able to refill.

Thanks Earl

Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
djqualls

Maybe the vent tube is creating a venturi effect, and drawing water out while driving. Has anything changed on the side of the coach that could cause any drafting of the vent tube?
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
earljan34

Well I checked the overflow and no tube in tank. Also the hose from the overflow has a upward turn to the top of the tank also goes over top corner of tank then down and out . What angle is the air intake to be at? mine is in the up pos. This realy has me stumped.

Earl

Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Earl.

On my previous GS and my present one, both have two vent lines coming from the top of the tank, going up as high as possible then down thru the floor.

Do you have a second vent line?

Ron
Old 10-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
earljan34

Ron It only has one opposite corner from the overflow the one way valve is pointing horizontal to top of tank and it does not leak that's the mystery no water in the cabinets and no water in holding tanks. this has happend three times last two times I left the water in tank for 24hrs before we left was full ,And I looked at the tank not just the guage. this is something very stupid but it's driving me nuts!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Earl,

Just a thought........

Do you fill your hot water heater with the pump before you leave? If not that takes 10-12 gallons depending on model if you have drained it.

I usually do ours if it is going to set a while before our next trip.

If you have no leaks, then it has to be going out the vent lines. On our MH the vent lines loop at least six inches above the top of the tank and that seems to work to prevent the water from "pushing out" the vent lines due to the unlevel crown of most of the roads making the water slosh side to side in the tank.

But usually, we have only less than half a tank of water and only on two occasions that we were boondocking at a rally did we go with a full 100 tank.

Good Luck with your water thief,
Ron
Old 10-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
earljan34

Thanks Ron, I only have about 4in max from to the vent to the coach floor not much room I think I will try to reroot the overflow line to give it more resistenance if that don't work the next step is the shut off!

Thanks again Earl

Old 10-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
gsadmin

route the overflow to a gallon jug and drive a bit, see how much, if any sloshes out...

i am still dubious that this much water can slosh out...but, thats just an opinion...
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
fringsjohn

Default Loosing water

Earl,
I have 2005 sunvoyger and have notice the same problem.
no leaks it just registers half full when I travel a couple hundred miles....must be the overflow.
fringsjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
ronbo

Hi All -

I had a 2005 SunVoyager that did the exact same thing. I had a very hard time believing it could dump that much water, even after a day of driving, but it evidently did. There was no other explanation for that much loss. I'm thinking it develops some kind of vacuum/venturi and actually sucks out more than would be expected.

Griped about it while at the factory and they knew all about the problems and put in a one-way vent/filter (just like at the input to the water-pump) and routed the vent-hose as far up high as it'd go, all of which seemed to fix it.

HTH,
Ron
ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
earljan34

Update on missing water. I installed a shut off in the overflow line closed it after tank was full drove 200 miles on rough roads when we got to campground tank was full I opened the valve before use, So I guess that was the problem I put lables on the pump switch and fill valve to remind me to open the shut off. By the way the weekend in NH was great the weather was as nice as it could be close to 60 today not bad for the end of November!

Earl

Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
GStream40
Site Team

Earl,

Well it seems you have solved the mystery and have put plenty of reminder to open the valve. Works for you and that is all that counts.

Ron