Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
jandmz

Default VISA 23RBK furnace support failure

The furnace in our 2011 Visa 23RBK recently stopped working. We took it to the dealer, and they found that the furnace was mounted to a piece of plywood that was secured only to one 2x2 approximately half way back in the cabinet. The 2x2 was fastened to cleats on either side of the cabinet by 2 staples on each end. The entire weight of the furnace was being held by only 4 staples. When the staples pulled out, the furnace dropped, ripping out the electrical connections, and leaving the furnace dangling by the LP gas line connection.

The installation is not in compliance with NFPA 1192, with which Gulfstream certifies compliance. The Standard requires that appliances be installed in accordance with their Listing, which, in turn, requires the furnace to be mounted to the floor. This indicates a design flaw in that the furnace should not be mounted above the power supply, and it may be that all 23RBKs are noncompliant.

Has anyone else had this type of failure.

I have sent e-mails to Gulfstream, and it seems that they are ignoring this, as I have had no reply from them. If I don't get action soon, I intend to take this issue to the certifying agency (RVIA), and possibly NHTSA, since shock loading of the LP connection could result in a hazard.
jandmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #2

Default Re: VISA 23RBK furnace support failure

I'm not surprised...

Check your microwave too. Mine was holding only by the front trim. And my refrigarator came loose on the top. 3 out of 4 holding screws where broken.

Thanks for the info. I will check the furnace next spring. At this point, I can expect anything from a (...) Gulfstream product...
Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
philabele

We, too, have a 23RBK, 2011 model. I discovered the same problem you described with our furnace. Luckily, it had not yet failed, and I was able to install an aluminum angle iron brace

[https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=2048%2C1365].

I also discovered that the microwave was installed into the cabinet such that it was suspended above the cabinet shelf. I removed and remounted it such that it now rests on the cabinet shelf. I am sure that every Visa built has these same problems. Seems a shame, since it is such an innovative product. There really is no excuse for quality issues such as these. Common sens would tell you that these installation methods are certain to fail.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

I just check my furnace yesterday and yes, samething for me. It din't fail yet but I made a temporary fix until I can fix it right in may. I'm leaving very soon for a 8 weeks trip to Florida and it's still pretty cold here in Montréal (-13C this morning).
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #5
RinconVTR

Gulfstream does not want to hear from you! Well, not just you...but us...the customer. Been there.

Work with your dealer. They have the best chance to make things right, as long as you have one that fights for you.