Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
aaronschiada

Default Supernova 6331 info

Hey guys, im picking up my "new to me" 6331 next week...super stoked. i was hoping i could get some useful tips from the vets on here. it is a very clean and well maintained unit. im getting tires for it right when i pick it up, as well as some fresh Alcoa's. comes with all service records, and was maintained by the local International dealer mechanics. i bought this unit for the towing capabilities, as well as the relative conservative size...didnt want to go over 35ft. ive heard good things about the unit, but cant really seem to get any real concrete opinions. all info is appreciated...thanks!

and one other question...for some reason, this unit did not come with a ladder to get up on the roof from the factory. anybody have an answer for me on that? oh...and where can i get one? thanks again.
aaronschiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
SlimTim

Hello Aaron - I don't have a 6331 but it seems like all of the SN's share some common items. What year is your SN? Also does your SN currently have aluminum wheels or steel?

I like my 2010 6400 and for the price there is no other MH I would rather have.

Regarding the lack of a ladder, I have seen a number of SN without a ladder. I am not sure why some of them did and some of them didn't, maybe it was an option. I have an options list for 09 and 10 I will look and see. For the couple times a year I get on the roof I am not sure I would install a ladder.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
aaronschiada

Thanks for the response. This one is an '08. it currently has steel wheels but im ordering Alcoa's for it and new Toyo 255/70 tires. Really the reason for wanting the ladder is to be able to clean and maintain the roof. i will also be buying a cover for it, so a ladder would be needed, rather than just using an a-frame. Ive heard pluses and minuses on the motor, but have not talked to any SN owners to see if they have actually had any problems. Mine has 38,000 miles. all the info helps. thank you.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
SlimTim

Default Longer Wheel Studs

Aaron - You will need to install longer wheel studs on the rear before installing the aluminum wheels. The fronts should be long enough but the tears are to short. There is a thread on this site regarding the installation of aluminum wheels. Within the thred is a photo of the longer studs you will need.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
aaronschiada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
Aaron - You will need to install longer wheel studs on the rear before installing the aluminum wheels. The fronts should be long enough but the tears are to short. There is a thread on this site regarding the installation of aluminum wheels. Within the thred is a photo of the longer studs you will need.
is this still true if im only doing the outer and not the inner?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
SlimTim

Some people love the VT365 and some people hate it. I know there is a lot of these engines on the road that have gone thousands of miles without issue. I also know some people have had nothing but problems. There is an engine replacement thred as well as other engine related threads on the site you may want to read. See the installation of Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler thread. I feel this is a good investment to keep your vt365 running good for many years.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
SlimTim

Yes, I tried just doing the outer and the rear studs were just to short.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
aaronschiada

Quote:
Yes, I tried just doing the outer and the rear studs were just to short.
awesome man!! thank you very much for your help. i will look into the oil cooler thread. must be i fan powered heat exchanger huh?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
SlimTim

2008 may have different length studs. If you pull the stock wheel covers off you can see how much stud is protruding from the lug nut. If you have less than 1/2 to 3/4 on an inch protruding from the lug nut you will need longer studs.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
aaronschiada

Quote:
2008 may have different length studs. If you pull the stock wheel covers off you can see how much stud is protruding from the lug nut. If you have less than 1/2 to 3/4 on an inch protruding from the lug nut you will need longer studs.
thanks buddy. much appreciated.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
SlimTim

The BPD oil cooler eliminates the oil to water cooler and replaces it with an oil to air cooler. I strongly feel the the stock oil to water cooler is the weak point on the vt365 and Ford 6.0. Once the stock cooler gets plugged you will start having EGR failures, HPOP failures, turbo failures and injector failures.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #12
aaronschiada

Quote:
The BPD oil cooler eliminates the oil to water cooler and replaces it with an oil to air cooler. I strongly feel the the stock oil to water cooler is the weak point on the vt365 and Ford 6.0. Once the stock cooler gets plugged you will start having EGR failures, HPOP failures, turbo failures and injector failures.
Hmmm...good point. I will ask my diesel mechanic his opinion on that. Seems like an easy swap
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
vansteenburg

I've got a factory installed ladder and have mixed reviews of it. There's weight limits to the ladder, besides all the extra maintenance (keeping it caulked and sealed) with the mountings. I'd rather have a unit without an external ladder, and invest in a nice 12' or longer ladder. The once or twice a year isn't worth the extra hassel of the maintenance and limits.

Also, cleaning around the ladder after a long trip or just after a few weeks outside, is a pain. Brushes have a hard time around the thing, so a lot of times it's a bucket and hand wipe around those areas.

Most of the time cleaning the roof, I've worked from a ladder since the roof gets real slick when you get washing it. I use pads on the ladder to lean against the side, and work it like I do around my house roof - widen it's footprint to minimize impact to the material it's leaning against.
vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
aaronschiada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansteenburg View Post
I've got a factory installed ladder and have mixed reviews of it. There's weight limits to the ladder, besides all the extra maintenance (keeping it caulked and sealed) with the mountings. I'd rather have a unit without an external ladder, and invest in a nice 12' or longer ladder. The once or twice a year isn't worth the extra hassel of the maintenance and limits.

Also, cleaning around the ladder after a long trip or just after a few weeks outside, is a pain. Brushes have a hard time around the thing, so a lot of times it's a bucket and hand wipe around those areas.

Most of the time cleaning the roof, I've worked from a ladder since the roof gets real slick when you get washing it. I use pads on the ladder to lean against the side, and work it like I do around my house roof - widen it's footprint to minimize impact to the material it's leaning against.
Ya...i guess the ladder does have its pros and cons. i guess ive just always thought about if im on a trip and needed to get on the roof and i dont have the ladder...then im up **** creek...haha. plus when i take it to storage, putting a cover on is that much easier. but it does look cleaner without it. hm i guess we will see. thank you for the response.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #15
Lltotman

Default 6331/6340

Got some questions here
1. Just got my class C. It was listed asa (6340) but when I got it home. I found the paperwork and stickers showing it’s a (6331). What’s the difference? Also what is the difference between a regular class C and a Super C?
2. Where can I get an electrical schismatic and or a PDF of the-of the coach (camper portion). I need to work on the slide and need to see how it’s built.
Lltotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #16
aaronschiada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lltotman View Post
Got some questions here
1. Just got my class C. It was listed asa (6340) but when I got it home. I found the paperwork and stickers showing it’s a (6331). What’s the difference? Also what is the difference between a regular class C and a Super C?
2. Where can I get an electrical schismatic and or a PDF of the-of the coach (camper portion). I need to work on the slide and need to see how it’s built.
I believe that you have the Kodiak front end...yes? The super-c is the heavier chassis with larger tow capacity.

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/manuals
Old 12-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
Lltotman

Thank, Happy rving
Lltotman is offline   Reply With Quote