Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-27-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
justlizz

Default Burglar Alarms

We have just returned from a trip through France and Spain and while we were away from the site we were broken into so I am now looking at putting some sort of alarm on the windows and door do any of you have any suggestions on the type of alarm that is good
lizz
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
RJ82much

Lizz,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope your losses weren't excessive & damage minimal.

I don't have a solution, just more questions. What was the method of entry? Anyone else with similar experiences? Would bars across windows be helpful or a deterant at all? Any thoughts about personal danger while you sleep? Weapons?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
justlizz

The entry was the large escape window in the bed area that I had left a little open and they removed the fly screen but other vans had the window ripped out so I am glad I left the window open as they did not do any damage and we were able to continue our hols
The reason I thought alarm was I dont want to bar the escape hatch so to speak
Guns are a nono for UK and I dont like them
My laptop and some moneyand cards and my gps route finder were the main bits but they also removed all my car and insurance papers but I had kept my passport with me so I did have that but it is a pain now getting everything replaced
lizz
Old 09-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
RJ82much

I've wondered about the escape window before. That is a good candidate for an actual alarm. It's hard to imagine any quick 'n easy release mechanism that would also secure the window. Looking forward to reading about solutions.

By weapon, I'm thinking more along the line of baseball bat, tire iron, mallot, fireplace poker. I don't know about the legallity of "packing heat" in this country. As lawless as we seem, that is usually reserved for the crooks. I'd be nervous as well about a gun ... too easy for it to be turned around on used on or against yourself.

I read of a unique "safe" for valuables on another forum. Put your valuables in a old canvas/cloth bag marked "sewer connection parts" & store it right in your hook-up compartment. The thought is that not too many people will want to rummage to see if you lied!

Back to a secure "escape window" latch, I suppose bars (or whatever) could be usefull when you leave your unit unattended, so long as you disable/remove when you return.

This is definitely an interesting topic.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
justlizz

We do carry a heavy iron pole but never had any problems so never used it The main time is when we leave the 5er and I thought if I could rig up a contact type alarm re fix magnets and if they make enough noise it could scare them off or attract some attention
We do have a small safe to keep money in but it is not large enough to hide everything that we have to carry and I do not want one that is noticable the one we have looks just like the electric sockets
lizz
Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
darbyjudy

Default Bars on the windows

I feel the best thing you can do is to purchase an alarm that is loud and uses either magnets or sensors . If you put just bars on the windows they will still get in and also do a lot of damage to your unit. Noise is the best thing I have found to scare them off befor they get in.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
gsadmin

Default Re: Bars on the windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy
I feel the best thing you can do is to purchase an alarm that is loud and uses either magnets or sensors . If you put just bars on the windows they will still get in and also do a lot of damage to your unit. Noise is the best thing I have found to scare them off befor they get in.
At the risk of sounding "American", doesn't a .357 make a "loud noise"...just kidding...easy now...
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
cookiehh

Default Security system

All standard home systems are in fact 12vdc battery powered. There is a small transformer that converts 120ac to about 16vac and the system run off that. When ac fails, the battery( 12vdc ) comes into play. So, I can't see anything wrong by installing a small home security system in the RV. I will do the same later. I plan on using motion dectectors and possibly a smoke detector. This can be connected to siren that will wake the dead. It can also be monitored by a 24/7 service and can be connected to phone line at the rv site and it will call the monitor service when there is a problem. The monitor service may not alert the law or fire depts from a remote location. You need to check your monitor service before you leave for a trip. None the less, it will sound off regardless.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
darbyjudy

Default Gained entry

We were camping last weekend with the Good Sam Chapter. We arrived on Thursday and when we got there we noticed several Police cars in the campground near our group. What I found out was that some of the members had came early and on Wednesday night someone came into one of the motor homes while they were sleeping and was heard going trhough the cabinets. They were scared off without getting anything. Next morning several others found picnic tables pulled near the windows of their motor homes and one found a window open. He thinks his dog scared them off. I feel that the one that was gotten into must have left his door unlocked. I don't know why he didn't call police that night instead of waiting until morning. They might have caught the crook some where in the campground. so remember always lock your doors as soon as the sun goes down if you are inside. Just isn't safe anymore. This was in Bushnell, Fl at the Oaks campground. We were told that several others were broken into at the Red Barn Campground across the street the week before.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #10
gsadmin

I would consider that crook lucky he picked that motorhome and not some other RVer like me.

Come to Utah and do your camping...what few crooks there are, all know better than to enter 200 sq. ft. of space where someone may be in bed with their equalizer...and I don't mean a type of hitch!
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
TNTraveler

That is way I always travel with my two best friends, Smith and Wesson. They know how to stop trouble.
Having fun traveling.
TNTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
GStream40
Site Team

Concealed Carry Permit and a couple of pocket rockets.

Never go without my friends.
Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
larrybell

Black and Decker makes an inexpensive window or door alarm that is basically magnetically driven. The magnet goes on the window, and its corresponding unit goes on the wall. Moving the magnet from the receiver activates a loud noise. I believe it operates on a AA battery and costs around $10 US
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
Katherine22

Default Re: Burglar Alarms

Burglar Alarms system is inexpensive compared to other home burglar alarms, because it is easier for the customer to install themselves. Anti-Theft, which is a wireless resentment and save the cost of requiring a qualified electrician, is free to add sensors, either windows or doors that you want. Comfort does not need to lay cables along the walls of your house has been added to the charm of these systems.a wireless system be sure to take into consideration the exact size of your home, how many entrance points you have and are there a lot of windows? There is no need to buy extra component that can't be used and are a waste of money. You can start by purchasing one part at a time, and this is advantageous because you can add on to it in the future.

kw Alarmanlage
Katherine22 is offline   Reply With Quote