Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
univmd

Default 08 Tourmaster: Power Gear Levelers Control Box Location?

My Power Gear Levelers seem to go into "Error Mode" sometimes. I am not sure why. Sometimes it takes repeated efforts to get it out of "Error Mode." I would like to check that all the harnesses to the control box is tight. Do you know where the control box is? Other thoughts and experiences with Power Gear Error Mode appreciated.

With warm regards, James
Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
rdlamb

James:

www.powergearus.com

There, you will find the owner's manuals, tech manuals, and other info. Depending upon the system you have, the controller box may be under your controller pad, or back on your hydraulic system network.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
univmd

Default power gear

Hi Rdlamb, thank you for ALL your contributions to my questions, you are very good. Yes you are right, the Power Gear website has hundreds of pages of technical help. Alas, I am still not able to find info. there on where the control box is actually installed on my Tourmaster. Also, I "think" I have electric levelers instead of hydraulic levelers. What kind of levelers do you have?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
rdlamb

James:
I have Power Gears, hydraulic units.
I do not believe that Power Gear makes an electric leveler.
Back in one of your compartments is an octopus like collection consisting of a covered box, with many lines running into it. That should be your Power Gear unit.
My unit has a cover, which I have to remove 4 screws to get into.
Looking at the top of the unit, there is a cap, sort of like the one on a car engine that you twist off to add oil to the engine.

You need to check your hydraulic oil, with the slides in, and the levelers up. Once it is full, if you do not use your coach much, the oil will last for a couple of years. Change it (I use a turkey baster to suck the old oil out) when the oil turns darker.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
rdlamb

James:
What is the number on your Power Gear touch pad?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Texas TC

I have the Power Gear electric levelers on my class C SuperNova and have recently experienced error codes. Mine is always front left. After I turn off the power switch and back on, the error goes away and the jacks work properly. I cannot figure out what is causing the code either. I have gone through the pages of information on the website and even printed a lot of it out but this one puzzles me. If it continues, I guess I will take it to the dealer to have it checked out. I believe the "mother board" is under the dash that controls the system.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
rdlamb

TC:
I had an Endura, 2005, prior to my TM. It had hydraulic Power Gears on it. However, whenever there was dirt, rock or other debris on top of the leveler pads, it would set off a similar situation to that which you describe.
You might make sure there is no debris on top of your pads. There is also a sensor that monitors whether the levelers are down, or partially down, and sets off an alarm. I think the web site (Powergear) is difficult to wander through, but by putting your pad number in the search area, it may take you to the manual for your particular set up.

Try this section: http://www.powergearus.com/navi/faq#1

Old 09-04-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
Texas TC

rdlamb,
Thanks for your input, I have downloaded the exact user manual for my application but it only says there is a problem with that particular jack. I had a rear electric jack failure so it concerns me a bit. When the failure occurred, the jack was stuck in the down position and I had to connect an external power source to raise the jack. I used the battery out of my Polaris RZR to get the jack to retract. The error code acted the same way when I had the jack failure but on this particular jack, it continues to operate as it is supposed to. On my storage pad, it is the jack that is extended the most to allow for proper leveling. I wonder if it is going past the programmed range of the jack and that is what is giving me error code.

Thanks again for your input.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
rdlamb

TC:
Thank you. We share common interests, Gulf Stream, Wranglers, and we are Texans as well. (Dallas).
I stopped at Power Gear's factory in late July. They are running a skeletal crew, without a secretary. Which is why no one answers the phone. Another customer showed up, who was not timid about pounding on the windowed door we were looking through, and attracted someone's attention.
I'd guess he was one of the owners, or VP or even the CEO, he never said but was very knowledgeable about everything asked concerning our issues.

The Power Gear site is hard to navigate, but using our keypad's number I found the exact manuals for the TM's unit, and had my questions answered.

I you need, e-mail me privately and I'll attach my Power Gear file in the reply, perhaps I have something that will help. [email protected]

Old 09-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
David Bott

Hi...

I do think all the TM's use the hydraulic system.

If yours is an automatic level system, if you look inside your storage compartment, driver side, 1/2 down the coach and look UP to the bottom of the inside floor, you should see a controller box where the wires from the front of the coach comes in and then come out to the hydraulic area more or less below it. (That is if GS put them in the same place. LOL)

I really would not think it would be a connector issue, but stranger things have happened and it would not hurt to be sure all the connectors are snug.

Good luck!
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
testerdennis

Well i Just pulled off a jack from my 2008 Tour Master and there are no hydraulic lines going to it. The jack is electric. Had same problem jack would only retract 6inches off the ground I tried everything on key pad. I pulled it off so I could make it home.
testerdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
rdlamb

Tester:
That must have been some major event, pulling a leveler jack off a TM.
I did not know GS went electric with their leveling systems.

What make of leveling system do you have?
Let us know what happens with your jack, is it still under warranty?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
testerdennis

The make is Power Gear levelers. The removal was not to bad 4 bolts and its off. The only problem was not having the proper tools at the campsite . The thing is still under warranty as I just purchased it last week as a NEW 2008 model. First trip and this happened grrr
testerdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
David Bott

WOW...a 2008 TM with electric jacks. Very weird indeed. (Not that it is a bad thing, just would not think they would make such a large change in a line.)

BTW...Congrats on your new home/toy.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
univmd

Wow, thank you for all the thoughts. I have to go to my coach to check the touch pad #. My Power Gear Leveler Manual cover says "Electric," not "Hydraulic." But who knows? I am taking my coach in for service next Tuesday and will find out what the issue is. The error is always in my left front jack too. Luckily I am able to use the Power Gear website to reset the "error mode" and level my coach manually for now.

It seems like there are many kinds of 08 Tourmasters: ones with hydraulic jacks and ones with electric jacks? Ones with 330 Mercedes, ones with 360 Cummins, and ones with 425 Cummins. How can there be so many different kinds of 08 Tourmasters?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerdennis
... The thing is still under warranty as I just purchased it last week as a NEW 2008 model. First trip and this happened grrr
That means it may have been manufactured two years ago. For some things, sitting around for long periods of time without being used can be as bad or worse than being used heavily. I know that generators are a prime example of this. Perhaps electric jacks are, too.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
johnf2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
I have the Power Gear electric levelers on my class C SuperNova and have recently experienced error codes. Mine is always front left. After I turn off the power switch and back on, the error goes away and the jacks work properly. I cannot figure out what is causing the code either. I have gone through the pages of information on the website and even printed a lot of it out but this one puzzles me. If it continues, I guess I will take it to the dealer to have it checked out. I believe the "mother board" is under the dash that controls the system.
I am having the exact same problem. Left rear. Any solution other than attaching a battery to the jack?
johnf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #18
Wildblue

Default Re: 08 Tourmaster: Power Gear Levelers Control Box Location?

Again, this forum helps out. I'm sitting in a campground in Little Rock Arkansas with my new (to me) 2008 GS. moderate slant to the campsite, was having difficulty leveling. Then it started flashing and locked up--wouldn't respond. I was going to call it a night and throw in the towel when we discovered this post with the troubleshooting links. Worked the secret to rest the controller error, and everything worked like a charm. Sweet...

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
stonesfan

Our 2008 Tour Master has Hydraulic Levelers, and a 425hp Cummins Turbo Diesel, is that Normal............................................ ....

Stonesfan
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
jtking

I have 08 TM 40A 425 cummins with electric Power Gear jacks. I have had error message a few times. I believe it's when jacks are trying to extend to far to level coach. I now carry a few 2x 8 boards to put under rear jacks if it seems fairly unlevel. Since doing doing that, I've had no more errors.

John