Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
bhplumber

Default SN 6331 cranks but doesn't start sometimes

On the trip home from Texas to South Dakota after purchasing the motorhome we had one time the RV would crank but didn't want to pop off. Then it never did it again. I've only owned the RV a couple months but I start it regularly. We did a weekend trip this weekend and went to start it Sunday morning and it would just crank. I tried it a few times, it had plenty of smoke coming out the tailpipe so I'm thinking it's getting fuel. I let it set for about 15 min and after a couple trys it finally popped off. The outside temp was about 60 degrees out and I did try cycling the glow plugs multiple times. The oil pressure gauge on the dash would come up above 60psi right away. Both times it happened it cranks plenty fast, the batteries are good a the starter isn't dragging. Any ideas??. I have a trip planned later this month but have to figure this out before I take it to far from home.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
bhplumber

5 minutes at the shop and he had found the problem. It was the glow plug relay (ford starter solenoid) on the passenger side valve cover. One of the posts was burnt and loose. He installed a taller heavy duty replacement that he said should hold up better. Now on to the next issue, house batteries going dead.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
SlimTim

Hello bhplumber

I think, I have attached a GS drawing of the 12 Volt distribution system. This may not be exactly the same as your system but its probably similar. One or more of the forum members pulled this and other drawings from the GS website, but I am not sure you can get them from the GS website any longer.

Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CE1461 Diagram 12V Distribution.pdf (132.4 KB, 12 views)
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #4
bhplumber

I decided to look at the basics and sure enough both house batteries were bone dry on water. I didn't realize the SN charging system was always on and doesn't turn off when the batteries are fully charged. At least that's what I read on here somewhere. I'm assuming this would cause the batteries to need water added more often the my old coach. I only had to check them at the beginning of the season. With any luck the batteries will come back to life. They look to be fairly new Interstate brand but the install date codes stickers were not pulled out so no real way of knowing how old they are.