Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-31-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
mhogge

Default Sanitizing fresh water tank

Has anyone figured out a relatively easy way to sanitize the fresh water tank on a SunVoyager?

thanks mel
mhogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
DSR27

Default have you tried bleach?

Don't know any specifics for Sun Voyager, but I've read elsewhere about using bleach. I can't tell you the amount that you would need. I'll bet that if you do a Google search for [bleach +disinfect] you will find it.

Once you've figured out how much bleach you need for your tank size, dilute it 10x or more before pouring into the tank, then add water to fill the tank. I'd be tempted to drive around the block to mix it up. Then you would run each tap in the coach until you smell bleach. I'd let it sit for a few hours, maybe even overnight. Then I'd run each tap again for a bit, then drain the tank and rinse with water at least once, and you're good to go.

By the way, I'm thinking of purchasing a Sun Voyager 102 and am trying to find out the tank sizes. Can you help me with this?

Have you had any trouble with the construction of your coach? Many pictures that I've seen online show bulges in the sides, probably from the wall shifting, and this worries me some. Any problems here?

thanks
Gary
DSR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
DSR27

Default stumbling into Gulf Stream's suggestion

I happened to be looking at the owner's manual for 2006 GS online and stumbled into their suggestion. They only suggest adding 3 gal of water...

http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/tidbitst ... Manual.pdf
DSR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:12 AM   #4
johnsandywhite

Hi there. Here is a link that will explain all about sanitizing Water tanks:-

http://www.rvtowingtips.com/sanitizing.htm
Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
RJ82much

My Sun Voyager came with an Everpure water filter cartridge. The owner?s guide claims the charcoal filter will remove chlorine as well as all the other ?stuff?.

At season startup, a common ?shock? sanitizing procedure is used. The amount of chlorine is 6 oz (2/3 cup) per 10 gallons. I don?t believe you expose your filter to that concentration. This concentration gets flushed out before connecting the filter.

Everpure?s day-to-day drinking water process is called superchlorination. Common household bleach (unfragranced) is added at approximately a teaspoonful per 10 gallons. They suggest checking the chlorine level with their test kit, but I?m guessing it is the same as a common swimming-pool test kit available at your Wal-Mart. You are merely looking for a residual which the charcoal will remove before it flows into your drinking glass.

The ?trick? (& burning question) is how to easily & reliably introduce a measured quantity of bleach into the drinking water tank each time you fill up. I am looking to find a source for nonsterile, blunt tip or tapered tip 60ml syringes (non-medical). A tee-tap (w/shut-off) & couple feet of plastic line into the water tank vent line should work & be convenient enough to do standing up, outside the compartment door!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote