Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #1
Martymitchco

Default Class C Insullation

Like most Class C coaches we have an over the cab projection. Ours has a tv and cabinets, behind that is an empty cavity. It only has a thin fiberglass shell and needs Insullation. Has anyone done this project or have seen it done? Thanks for your help/ideas.
Martymitchco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #2
RampantRoamer

Default Re: Class C Insullation

I haven't seen one in person(still looking to buy one) but from the pics I've seen, if it were me, I'd frame it all in with 1/2" aluminum angle for support and spray it with polyurethane foam. then use the angle aluminum is supports to screw coverings on.

insulation is one of my biggest concerns when buying an RV. what are your walls like? are there any or a lot of empty voids in the walls and floor?

I really want a close look at a BT cruiser but there are none in my area, sadly.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
jpf

over cab insulation is the least of your problems. the drafts from the air gaps around the slides is very noticeable during cold weather (BT5291).
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
jayme

Hello. A few years ago, I removed the tv from the overhead. Once it was removed, I glued wooden strips to the fiberglas, then installed insulation between studs. I then covered the insulation with 1/4" oak ply. Then I mounted a 32" led tv on a swing mount. The extra storage gained was substantial. As someone stated, the draft from the bottom of the slide out was an annoyance as well. There, I glued styrofoam to the bottom of a rubber baseboard strip, which was tacked to the floor of the slide out. I then installed an out trim covering the top of the baseboard strip. This greatly reduced the draft. I don't know how to post pics here, that would show the finished mods.
jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:23 PM   #5
SlimTim

Another option is to go to your local home improvement store and purchase standard household insulation and a can of spray adhesive. Get the insulation that comes wrapped in a plastic cover/backing and in a thickness you like - will be for a 2x4 or 2x6 wall. Spray the adhesive on the fiberglass cap and then stick the insulation to it. Its quick and easy but it does stink up the RV for a short time. This is how GS insulated my Supernova front cap and how I just redid the insulation after fixing a water leak in the cap. Good luck.
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
ChrisW

I used 1 1/2" R-Tec from Home Depot and cut it in pieces to fit the round inner fiberglass dome. I called the R-Tec rep. in Puyallup Wa. for advise and he said to use fast drying spray foam insulation as an adhesive. Spray round dots on the board and hold or support until it stays in place. Next day I filled all gaps with the spray foam. R-Tec foam board will not soak up water like fiberglass bat insulation. Spray in foam is the best but at a 500.00 cost.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote