Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
YoungeCP

Default Blowout took out my whole wiring harness on a cross country trip with newborn

I’m 3 days into a 3 week cross country trip and my rear left inside tire blew out and took with it a fair number of my generator powered wiring harness. In all there were 25 wires of varying gauges, and a 2 gauge (what I thought was a battery cable but turned out to be a...) ground. The ground attached to a power bar behind the fridge outlet (accessed through the outside maintenance hatch for the fridge). The remaining wires entered the cabin from the wheel well, behind where my washer/dryer is in the bathroom. I’ve got all but 4 reconnected. Everything EXCEPT the fridge and hot water heater work in shore power mode, only the microwave, water pump, and select lighting works in generator mode (neither AC, not fridge or hot water).

The transfer switch under the bed clicks, trying to close the circuit, but then clicks back open. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on what would cause a transfer switch to do this, considering that I still have 4 wires yet to find homes (2 of which have a male adapter on the end (2 wires, 1 white 1 black, into the one adapter, the wires appear to be 18 gauge). The other broken wires I have yet to place are 14/16 gauge red, and 14/16 gauge pink.

I haven’t been able to find a complete wiring diagram for my model (2007 Independence 8537, 35 foot). Also, not a single service department, camping world, roadside rv tech, mechanic, or other has been willing/able to help, they either don’t want to tackle it, or quote 2 week wait times. I’m not doing this work by choice, I have my wife, infant, and 2 dogs in the RV and just need to patch her together good enough to get somewhere that can do a proper servicing.

Thanks!
YoungeCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
YoungeCP

Default Additional info

The 2 wires with the male plug adapter is labeled F/V AB, I’ve searched the fridge for a blade style lead to attach to, but found nothing, the length of the line suggests it originates from somewhere near the fridge. I found an additional wire pulled back from the fridge, I believe it was a ground, the fridge and hot water heater are now working as a result of hooking that wire back up. So now everything works when plugged into external power, but neither AC work in generator mode still...and I still need to find where the last two (red and pink) 14/16 gauge wires connect...
YoungeCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:04 AM   #3
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungeCP View Post
The 2 wires with the male plug adapter is labeled F/V AB, I’ve searched the fridge for a blade style lead to attach to, but found nothing, the length of the line suggests it originates from somewhere near the fridge. I found an additional wire pulled back from the fridge, I believe it was a ground, the fridge and hot water heater are now working as a result of hooking that wire back up. So now everything works when plugged into external power, but neither AC work in generator mode still...and I still need to find where the last two (red and pink) 14/16 gauge wires connect...
Consider going to an electronics store and getting a wire trace tool. You hook up to the bare wire and then touch wire bundles until you find the wire that you're hooked to. Not sure how else you could trace it without a schematic. You might end up spending a lot of time touching wires all over the place to find where they go but it should "tone" when you get near the wire you're connected to. something like this. you'll need one with alligator clips though.

https://smile.amazon.com/Multi-funct...2685588&sr=8-3
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote