Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #61
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu
Default Re: Gulf Stream Visa

Congratulations on your new TT!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #62
brains77396

I'm not sure how the 19 ft models are set up, but the 23 ft units have the water tank in the front. There is a hose hanging down to drain the fresh water tank. I took the plug out and replaced it with a plastic 90 deg elbow. Screwed a short piece of pipe into that, long enough to clear the frame. There I screwed on a valve with another 90 deg fitting to direct the water flow down. Used a electrical conduit hanger (?) to secure the pipe to the frame. Now I can drain the fresh water tank without having to climb under the trailer. Photos when I get it out of storage. About $10.00 for the mod.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #63
brains77396

Don't know what the deal is with the 23 ft models, but ours did not have a sewer hose storage tube. All the 19 ft models the dealer had came with a short one mounted under the tongue. Camping world had a 65 inch model on sale so I purchased one of those. It fits perfectly between the battery box and the front of the trailer. I haven't convinced myself that I want to put screws in the front of my trailer (leaks) so I am going to use two battery box tie downs, one on each side and see how that works. The 65 inch model will hold a 15 ft Rhino hose.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #64
toaobigal

From what I saw at the dealer, the ERD has the water tank in the front, under the bed. They also put the spare tire in there, when I get my trailer, I'm mounting the spare on the rear bumper...
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #65
brains77396

Default Re: bike rack for Visa and other

We live in Humble TX. Since you purchased your Visa, Toppers Campers out 290 in Waller has started carrying the Visa, which is where we purchased our 23RBK. One good place to get goodies is at Channelview Supply in Channelview. I-10 E. right after beltway 8. Lake Livingston SP is good, so are Rayford Crossing (Woodlands area) and Bethy Creek in Riverside on Lake Livingston. For hitch stuff, try Discount Hitch. They are about half the price of hitch equip compared to a RV dealer. For water, get the white RV water hose (Wal-mart) Rhino Flex is a good sewer hose, very stiff and holds whatever shape you put it in, however the small sewer hose holder won't hold it. We got a 65" holder from Channelview Supply and it fits perfectly between the front wall and the battery box. Go to http://www.texascampgrounds.com for a free copy of the 2011 RV Travel & Camping Guide for Texas. It also comes with a discount card for 10% to 15% off camping fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarrell
Good job on the bike rack. Any concerns with the 2x4 bumper being strong enough to handle the weight of the bikes while bumping along down the road?

Our Visa is suppose to have the optional upgraded mattress but it doesn't look or feel so "upgraded". Looks like a 5-6" thick typical mattress covered in blue floral cloth material.

We are in Houston and have only been camping together once a few weeks ago when we rented an R-pod and went to Lake Livingston State Park. We enjoyed it so much we decided to buy the Visa.

Do you have any favorite camp grounds in Texas that you could recommend for a long weekend get away?

Also, since we are camper newbies we will be having to buy everything for our camper. Any good on-line places for buying camper supplies? Any specific recommendations for water hoses, sewer hoses, etc.

We need to get a good trailer lock. Any recommendations?

thanks again for any advice.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #66
lsnipes

Ok all of you Visa owners out there. I have tried for over a year to get my dealer to fix my fridge so that it runs off of the battery when attached to the truck. This is a quote from my last attempt.

"Per Dometic simply jumping 12v and house power would not work. 12v input needs to sense alternator power to work. Per Dometic said 12v house is not the same. Also per Dometic 12v mode will only help to keep an already fully chilled refer cold for 6-8 hours. 12v option on refer is meant to be used with unit that has alternator present."

So when the trailer is attached to my truck, shouldn't it be drawing power from the truck's alternator. We are just trying to make the fridge stay cold between stops.Isn't that what it is supposed to do? I know I have seen a couple of posts on here that mention a dealer that made the change and it was simple. My dealer tried ONCE to call and get the details but never made contact.

Do any of you run your fridge on 12v when towing?

Thanks for any help.
Larry
Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #67
toaobigal

When you're pulling your trailer, the 12 volt goes to charge your trailer battery. Your fridge is running 12 volt from the converter, which is powered by the battery. I think you should be able to run the fridge on 12 volt when traveling, it's something I'll check when my new Visa gets here. I know it worked with my PUP, used to do it all the time so I'm expecting it will be the same with the Visa.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #68
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu

We use automatic when towing, normally it uses gas. I have used the 12v when towing both to and from a campsite that was about a 5 hour drive each way. The fridge was already cooled using 110, but it was just as cold when we got to our destination and we could tell it was pulling from the battery. The battery had a full charge when leaving and was about 1/4 charged after a 5 hour drive with a couple of stops (the alternator was obviously not keeping up with the draw on the battery) but it did work. I've posted information on Mays RV in Lewisville TX who fixed it for me as it didn't work originally, but past referring you to them I can't tell you what they did, just that it works. I wish I could help.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #69
buckcooper

Has anyone had the lift kit installed on their Visa TT? I am getting one quoted, but would like to here if anyone has experiance. We bought our 19erd about a month ago and the first thing I noticed is how the rear jacks drug going out of the dealers lot.

buck
buckcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #70
deltamark

We had the lift kit installed. It helped immensely. Not sure what bottomed out on our trailer prior to the lift kit. Might have been the weight distribution bars or the jacks, but nothing drags now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckcooper
Has anyone had the lift kit installed on their Visa TT? I am getting one quoted, but would like to here if anyone has experiance. We bought our 19erd about a month ago and the first thing I noticed is how the rear jacks drug going out of the dealers lot.

buck
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #71
KristinU

Hi All,

Newbie here!

We are contemplating a move up in size from our current camper (an Aliner PUP) and drove by a dealership in MD the other day on the way home to CT from a trip to Washington DC. There were a couple of Visas on the lot and we're totally intrigued. I wish we would have stopped to have a look, but they probably wouldn't have been open anyway since it was Easter Sunday. When we got home we looked at the floorplans and the 23BHD looks like it would be a great fit for us...and I love the look of the Visa. But alas, the dealership we drove by is the closest one that has them. Any chance that anyone here is anywhere near the Hartford area? Mass? Rhode Island? Eastern NY? And if so, would you want to show it off to us?

Also, anyone here have the 23BHD? The pics online look like they switched up the floorplan just a bit when they went to production vs. the published floorplan - the fridge in the pics on actual units is over by the kitchen and the microwave is over by the door. Or is it that they've changed the floorplan slightly since the delivery of the first few and the published floorplan is correct?

The other question is the double bowl sink - the faucet in the pics looks like it might not reach the bowl on the left...do I sense an off the bat mod coming on to switch out the faucet? Or does it actually reach?

Thanks so much in advance, and thanks for the info on this thread so far...it sounds like in general everyone is happy with their choice in the Visa.

Cheers,
Kristin

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #72
lsnipes

We just had it done and it makes quite a difference. It should make it easier to back into sites in several of our local campgrounds. It lifts the frame about 3 inches. The only downside is that first step is a little higher as you go in. I think the trade off will be well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckcooper

buck
Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #73
tinapetel

Our Visa did the same thing. The earlier Visas manufactured have a scissor type jack that hangs too low in the back and is easily damaged. Visas are now being built with jacks that raise up tight to the trailer giving much improved clearance on inclines. We replaced our scissor type jacks in the back with ones similar to what Visa is using now. We also located the jacks about 2 feet back from the bumper.
If someone is buying a Visa at a dealers it is worthwhile to make sure it has the newer type jacks (not the scissor type jack)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #74
tinapetel

[quote] love the look of the Visa. But alas, the dealership we drove by is the closest one that has them. Any chance that anyone here is anywhere near the Hartford area? Mass? Rhode Island? Eastern NY? And if so, would you want to show it off to us? [quote]

We purchased our Visa from:
M'S RV Sales
Route 12, Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 229-5474

You will not find nicer people to deal with. They gave us a very good price and their service is excellent. We drive over 100 miles from Lake George, NY to deal with them.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #75
buckcooper

Thanks for the responce. I just ordered a lift kit from the local dealer, they are apparently running through them pretty fast.

I read a comment earlier about the mattress, we had the same problem with our last Camper, it was a Sarcraft 1800ck and the bed was terrible. We went to a fabric store and bought two pieces of 5" thick dense foam, covered it with a fitted sheet and put it under the mattress. Problem solved, for a lot less than a new mattress. When we traded the Starcraft in we moved the foam to the new bed.
buckcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #76
KristinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinapetel
Quote:
love the look of the Visa. But alas, the dealership we drove by is the closest one that has them. Any chance that anyone here is anywhere near the Hartford area? Mass? Rhode Island? Eastern NY? And if so, would you want to show it off to us? [quotecvjoao8]

M'S RV Sales
(802) 229-5474

You will not find nicer people to deal with. They gave us a very good price and their service is excellent. We drive over 100 miles from Lake George, NY to deal with them.
[/quotecvjoao8]
Thanks for the info! I found their name on the GS website, but really couldn't find much about them when Googling...so a first hand experience is helpful. Actually the name on the GS web site made it seem like it is just parts and repairs. It seems that they are old-school and don't maintain a web site, which is surprising...but they are "only" 200 miles from us, so closer than any other I've found!

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #77
KristinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinapetel
M'S RV Sales
(802) 229-5474

Wow, Tinapetel, you weren't kidding! We went up today for a look at the Visa they have on their lot, and they sure are such great folks...and oh do I love Vermont! Thanks so much for posting and recommending them. Without a web site, I honestly would have dismissed them had you not posted your glowing recommendation.

Anyway, DH and I both really liked the look and feel and quality of the Visa. They're going to do some pricing for us on Monday on the model we like (23BHD), so we'll see how that compares to the dealer I've been talking with in Ohio that has the 23BHD on their lot, then we'll have to weigh our pros and cons of each option - near and far. Either is out of state, but VT is a heck of a lot closer but would involve ordering...then patience!

Cheers,
Kristin

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #78
TXDego

Just recently purchased a 19RSD, have not had a chance to take it out yet. I do have some questions after reading this thread, which was full of some helpful info, so thanks.

What generator is everyone using? Will the Honda 2000i run everything fine or is it better to get the Yamaha 2400i?
Anyone know the manufacture of the lift kit? I will need to get one ASAP, while I get its only $450 at the dealer to buy and install, there is no dealer close, so I will need to order from somewhere, and lift kits are easy to install. I guess worse case I can just build my own and raise it up as much as I want to.

I am sure I will have some more questions, but thanks for the help in advanced.
TXDego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #79
TXDego

Called several Gulfstream dealers, and they had never heard of a lift for these trailers. Ended up calling Colerain RV in Cincinnati, which one of the other had mentioned thats who did their lift. After speaking to the parts guy, who was a great guy, turns out the lift is actually made/supplied by Gulfstream. The parts guy told me he orders the lift directly from Gulfstream. The lift is good for 3"-4" of lift.

Since I need more than that, 8" at least, the parts guy was so nice, he emailed me about a dozen pictures of the lift pieces with a tape measure in the picture detailing the sizes of each piece. He told me that it looked simple enough to get one built, after getting the pictures, I am sure I can get something fab'd up pretty easily. So for those of you who get the same run around from your dealer that a lift does not exist, tell them to call Gulfstream directly to get the lift.
TXDego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #80
Marvin

Default Lift Kit Gulf Stream Visa

We picked up our RBK last Friday and was talking to the sales rep about a lift kit, he didn't think we would need one but I scraped when backing into my drive. I contacted them today and it sounds as if the kit sells for around $80.00 plus about and hour to install. Does that sound about right?

Thanks
Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote