Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 12:03 AM   #1
Trnelson

Default Straight stop valve leak

Hi everyone :

While de-winterizing a GS Conquest 6320 for a trip to Green Bay, (Lambeau field for Packers game) I discovered that the straight stop valve off the hot water heater (hot line) has a leak. Not sure how this happened, maybe I failed to drain water sufficiently out of this line, resulting in freeze damage (although I do properly drain the lines and inject RV antifreeze throughout the plumbing).

It seems a gasket within the valve has failed, and now, once the water pump is engaged and there is pressure in the line, there is a slow to moderate leak from the bottom of the valve. At the bottom of the valve, there appears to be a rubbery material extruding from the plastic housing-this is the location of the leak.

It doesn’t seem like a difficult fix, but I’m unclear about the right valve replacement and the tool needed to crimp the lines.

I need to re-winterize the rig ASAP, but would like to make the repair prior to going through the process.

One question that comes to mind is the line diameter. I haven’t tried measuring it yet, but does 1/2 inch sound right!? Is this standard for RV plumbing?

Here are my questions:
1. Is there a technique or tool to remove the current crimps, or do I need to just cut the line and reinstall a new one? (The line itself is fine).
2. What is the correct straight valve part for replacement?
3. What tool is recommended to recrimip the line once the new valve is installed?
4. What is the right crimp part to complete the install?

As always, thanks for your help. This forum rocks!

Todd
Trnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
Restorium

That's exactly what happens when there is some water left in the line and it freezes.

Without a picture I'm going to have to guess on the style of lines and clamps. There are different kinds on different years.

If it's the kind with the metal crimp clamps; You just cut the clamps. There's a crimper/cutter hand tool. You can use other kinds of clamps.

I would remove the fitting and take it to the RV store for comparison. They have the crimper tool or alternative clamps.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
SlimTim

Hello Trnelson,

Questions:
1. Is there a technique or tool to remove the current crimps, or do I need to just cut the line and reinstall a new one? (The line itself is fine).

Typically you can use side cutters (aka dikes) to cut the crimp and then remove it. However if you are able to remove the valve from the tube you will need to verify the inside of the tube is not damaged. If there are ridges inside the tube were the old valve was the new valve may not seal correctly. If possible I typically just cut the line.

2. What is the correct straight valve part for replacement?

I am not sure what valve you need so I cant help with this question. However if it is a simple one way check valve you can get this at your local hardware store.

3. What tool is recommended to recrimip the line once the new valve is installed?

The tubing in most (every RV I have looked at) is called "Pex". You can get the Pex crimpers at Home Depot or Lowes or likely any other hardware store that carries Pex tubing. There are a couple different styles of crimps, but as far as I know you just need to make sure the crimper is correct for the crimp style. If you don't want to purchase the crimper you can also purchase pushlock fittings for the Pex tubing. These are simple to use and no crimper is required. You can locate pushlock fittings at your hardware store near the Pex tubing fittings.

4. What is the right crimp part to complete the install?

The style of crimp should not matter as long as it's the correct size for the Pex tubing. (per above you may want to look at the pushlock fittings as this will likely be cheaper than purchasing the crimper and work just as well)

I would recommend taking the valve and the end of the Pex hose to your local hardware store and you can likely find everything you need to fix the problem. The valve may be slightly different size/shape, but the functionality will remain the same.

Good Luck Tim
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, straight, valve