Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-15-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
KampinKevin

Default Camera system compatibility

Does anyone know what camera systems are compatible with the wiring and bracket supplied with Vista and Vintage Cruiser lines of lightweight trailers?
KampinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
peterskunk

i got a new Conquest 30FRK pre wired for back up camera. On the dealer they told me is prewired for a Furrion, so I order the Furrion FOS43TASF, yesterday i was trying to put it togheter when I noticed is NOT Furrion compatible. the connector is different, the camera base is different, after spending $400 in that camerai really get very much frustated.
But you know what is worst? Calling Gulf Stream Coach customer service and get an "I dont know" from the person at the the other side of the line about to witch camera my NEW RV is compatible.
peterskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
KampinKevin

Sorry for your experience. I've never had much luck with rv dealerships, especially when it comes to providing detailed information on the products they sell. My experience with Gulf Stream was far more positive then yours. Perhaps Furrion will be willing to provide assistance?
Old 04-19-2019, 03:26 AM   #4
Flower

We bought a Furrion FOS05TASF 5" screen for our Vista 19BFD. The factory mount was not compatible with the Furrion camera but I was able to remove the factory mount and replace with the mount that came with the new Furrion camera. I had to rewire connections but it was not that difficult everything works. Most important was making sure everything is watertight, I used a good quality 3M silicone caulk.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #5
peterskunk

exactly what I did, remove the base that was there and installed the Furrion I got, cut the connector, crimp, tape and waterproof it, it took me 30 minutes and works pretty good.
peterskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
KampinKevin

Well, I found out from Gulf Stream that the bracket and wire connection is set up for a Way Interglobal CL-718-C1 (though the CL-718-D7 has the same specs.). Flower, I'm assuming your Vista was set up like my Vintage; was there a reason why you did not go with the Way Interglobal unit?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #7
Flower

I originally thought the factory mount was for a Furrion camera. Once I bought the Furrion camera I realized it did not match the factory mount. If I had known it was for the Way Interglobal unit I may have bought that camera unit instead of the Furrion.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
KampinKevin

Talking

Been there, Flower, in similar circumstances on other projects; double the time, double the money, same end result. Seems to be a theme in my life. All is well that ends well; that's my consolation.

In the process of investigating this camera thing, I came across the posting from another forum where a gent claimed to have found a similar camera to the Way Interglobal unit (same model number, no less) for significantly less money, purchased and proceeded to install it. I was very curious and so went hunting around. It seems that Way Interglobal, LLC, is a distribution company, and that perhaps the manufacturer of the CL-718W-C(D) is Shenzhen Chelong Electronics Technology, Ltd, of Guangdong, China. I say it seems because, the model no.'s match and the images of the Way Interglobal unit and the Chelong unit are very similar, and I know that Way Interglobal offers many other products produced in China (surprise), but there is very little other information available, under either company name. I think the fellow from the other forum mentioned the company name, "Elite" for the the unit he installed, then removed and sent back (Ebay?). His was the CL-718W-C, which I believe is the analog-signal wireless unit, while the CL-718W-D is the digital model (I'm wondering if Elite is also a distribution company?) I've seen also that Etrailer offers a camera system with the same model no. somewhere in their listing (website), that from Way Interglobal.

This would be an easy purchase decision if I had more confidence in the company or product, but there is so little information to go on, and it seems that product support is a worthy expectation for wireless camera systems, as performance results seem to vary greatly. Furrion is a more recognizable and certainly more documented camera system, as are many others on the market, but again, the installation will be more involved, with bracket and wire terminal issues to deal with. I know it seems a paltry concern, when stacked against the various hoops others have jumped through to mount camera systems on their rigs, but still the path of least resistance has its appeal! Wouldn't it be nice if you could depend on the rv industry to have vetted the products they install or offer?