Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
rodger1997

Default Vibration at 45-50 MPH

Hello everyone, I am a new Gulf Stream owner. I have a 1997 Sunvoyager and I am getting a vibration at around 45-50 MPH, after that 55-60 it smooths out. I don't feel it in the steering wheel, so I don't think it is related to the tires. I have brand new Good Year G670 RV tires on it, I think it may be the carrier bearings, can anyone shed some light on the situation.

Many thanks!
rodger1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Darol Johnson

They are now using bags to balance tires. they are placed in the tires . check and see if that is the balance system you have if so they balance themself in time and at a speed exceeding 55mph. call your tire man and see if that is the system they uses. darol johnson P.s. I just changed tires and that nis what I have.
Darol Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Darol Johnson

I forgot to tell you to look at wheels and see if there are any wieghts, If not then they used the balance bags. darol
Darol Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
RayChez1

I think it might be tire balancing. And yes I agree that balancing the tires with Equal is the best thing you can do. I had all six tires changed to Toyo tires from Michelins and had them balanced with Equal. It is the smoothest right you can have. But if you do deside to balance with Equal bags, be sure to get the special scharader valves. The one's that I got are called X-Air filtered valve stems. They keep the powder from getting under the valve seat which is very important or else you will be losing air on your tires.
I don't think it is your drive shaft unless you had it removed and they didn't put it back the same way it come out of the factory. That is why when diesel pushers are towed, they have to mark how it was mounted before, so that it can be put back the same way.
Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
rodger1997

Default Many Thanks

Thank you everyone for the information, will let you know what we find.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
GO BLUE

I had same vibration at same speed found out the belts had slipped on one the front goodyears...that was at 14000 miles changed fronts and problem gone................jim k
Old 03-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
rodger1997

Thanks Jim, I hope it's not the tires...$272 each I was quoted for a new one for the spare.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
rodger1997

Had my tires balanced using Equal, they seem to vibrate and shake more now, I have not driven to far yet. Is there a break in time for this method. It seems to smooth out at about 55-60mph. Thanks for any advice anybody can offer.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
RayChez1

Rodger, How far have you driven with the Equal because Equal is put in the tire in small bags and as you drive the bag is suppose to break open and the balancing starts. So if you have not driven but very little, maybe the bags have not broken open yet. On mine the tires were smooth from the start. Drive it a few miles and see what happens, IF it is not the tire balancing, then something must have happened to the drive shaft. Basicly those are the two most common things that would cause a vibration.
Keep us posted as to what happens. It might help somebody else with the same problem.

I was just reading an article on another forum where this guy had simular problems with his gasolince coach. And after extensive work and search it come down to bad bielstin shocks. So he replaced them with Koni shocks and he said that cured the problem.
Hope you don't have to go through all that expense, but I thought I would mention it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
rodger1997

Spoke with the tire company that added the Equal, they said that the distance I did drive it should have fixed it but they were not sure, I am going to drive it and add a few more miles at highway speed, if it dosen't fix it they said we will dig deeper into the tires... and see what we can discover...I am going to have the rear air bags changed, one was incorrect for my chassis and the other was blown. This might help...I am also going to add a Davis TruTrac Steering stabelizer and a Roadmaster anti-sway bar on the rear...have to stop the white knuckel grip driving...
Will keep you posted...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
mfa

Maybe you've got a tire that's out-of-round...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote