Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Snowbird 2

Default Adding storages to 2003 Gulfstream Independence

[I purchased a 33' Gulfstream Independence a year ago. It was in mint condition with only 12,000 miles on it. Last winter we used it for 4 months in CA and AZ and were not happy with the amount of outside storage space. I took it upon myself to purchase 3 new storage doors at an RV dealer in CA($90 total) and made their installation a summer project. I think they turned out great and provide for much more storage even though I don't intend to fill them all to capacity--it is convenient to have items spread out more and distribute weight away from the large rear pass-through storage to reduce the weight behind the rear axel. I matched the paint(computer scan) and used 3 clear coatsover it, used and made the storages out of 3/8" plywood and painted them with a tough marine paint. I used angle iron to support them bolted between the frame and steel sidewall rails. It was a bit nerve racking cutting holes through the walls of the RV but after the first one went well, no problem. The largest storage was placed under the drivers side slide and is 8' long 30"" wide and 1' deep. Te two others are smaller but still very roomy. I also installed a slideout awning and replaced the old type TV with an LCD TV and added shelves in the old TV compartment. What more is there to do?--we'll find out after next winter's wanderings--I'm sure we will think of something.
Snowbird 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default pitures

Sounds Great, like to see some pictures if you can. BobnLiz
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
PChez

Default Re: Adding storages to 2003 Gulfstream Independence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird 2
[I purchased a 33' Gulfstream Independence a year ago. It was in mint condition with only 12,000 miles on it. Last winter we used it for 4 months in CA and AZ and were not happy with the amount of outside storage space. I took it upon myself to purchase 3 new storage doors at an RV dealer in CA($90 total) and made their installation a summer project. I think they turned out great and provide for much more storage even though I don't intend to fill them all to capacity--it is convenient to have items spread out more and distribute weight away from the large rear pass-through storage to reduce the weight behind the rear axel. I matched the paint(computer scan) and used 3 clear coatsover it, used and made the storages out of 3/8" plywood and painted them with a tough marine paint. I used angle iron to support them bolted between the frame and steel sidewall rails. It was a bit nerve racking cutting holes through the walls of the RV but after the first one went well, no problem. The largest storage was placed under the drivers side slide and is 8' long 30"" wide and 1' deep. Te two others are smaller but still very roomy. I also installed a slideout awning and replaced the old type TV with an LCD TV and added shelves in the old TV compartment. What more is there to do?--we'll find out after next winter's wanderings--I'm sure we will think of something.
I sure would like to see some pictures. Sounds like quite a project.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Snowbird 2

Not sure how to insert pictures into the system but if you want to give me your e-mail address I will send them to you and if you want to put them in, no problem.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default e mail

I LIKE TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE BobnLiz e-mail is [email protected] Thanks
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Maggie

If anyone gets these pictures please post them.
Have thought about trying to o this for a long time.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
PChez

Quote:
If anyone gets these pictures please post them.
Have thought about trying to o this for a long time.
Yea! About the only place I can see adding storage to a coach is on top. I have a friend that has a Wanderlodge and his has some compartments on top for added storage.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
Snowbird 2

I sent some pictures to Bob2nLiz but don't know how to put pics on the site so if anyone else wants them just send me your e-mail address and I will send them to you. It wasn't really that hard to install the storages, just a lot of work. Now I even have room in my rear storage for my satalite dish instead of putting it in the back seat of my Tracker. The paint matched really well too and I had never done any auto painting before!I just tried dragging a few pics into the text so hope it works.