Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
Jono1234

Default Newbe 2007 trail lite 23ss

Hello I'm new to the scene I just purchased this RV and have noticed two soft spots in the ceiling , one near the door and the other above the bunk, both areas are along the edge of the ceiling on th door side. We had a good rain and nothing got wet inside but that doesn't mean water isn't running down the walls!
I can't agora to goto an RV shop. I also noticed the power wire was disconnected on propane detector alarm and the big vent underneath the refridgerator next to the power investor has a piece of foam blocking any ventilation and I don't know why it's Even there ? Please help anyone . Thank you
Joe
Jono1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
McKannick

Yes, welcome to the group and the sad reality of used RV's. Water leaks go unnoticed for years by original owners until they step into a soft spot or discover it by accident. and when traded in, the problems do NOT get fixed by the typical used RV dealer (or an individual, typically). Just sold my leaky old 2008 to my next door neighbor, BUT showed him every spot I knew of, the roof and every nook and cranny that could possibly be bad. He also got a great deal for his 'sweat equity' project...if in perfect shape he could have spent $7500+, got it for $2500. You may find even more stuff disconnected as you explore the unit. The propane alarm probably went bad and wouldn't shut off. Pull that foam block out and see what they were trying to keep out (or in). If the ventilation to the inverter / charger is blocked it's not good for it.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
exjay

Being fiberglass exterior, its not going to be easy to open the walls to see any water damage without cutting up the walls. I dont think I'd walk on the roof but right now atleast dicore the heck out of everything and use some non-leveling dicor where the rubber roof material joins up with the gutters and front/rear to keep any more water from geting in. Check your floors around the areas in the ceiling and walls for any addl soft spots to possibly address. really thats about all you can do unless you are ready to start pulling up the roof material to inspect the plywood and commit to the repairs (or have someone do it).
Old 10-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Jono1234

Thank you both I am doing that now. A new issue arose when my battery went dead. I thought maybe I left something on but when I put an ohm meter from trailer frame ground to positive terminal I found no resistance (direct short) by a process of elimination of removing fuses I determined the short is coming from the component side of the fuse which powers all the lights in the cabin and the propane detector and God knows what else. I really don't know where to begin nor do I understand why the fuse doesn't blow. I know when I leave it on A/C power all appears normal. Guess I need wiring schematics and a better knowledge of inverter technology. One last thing it , when a/c connected the battery is receiving 13.3 volts so I believe the investor is ok. Any assistance is greatly appreciated
Jono1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
McKannick

Default dead battery very common, it seems

Jono, you'll find that you may have to disconnect the ground cable from the battery when you're parked at home to save it from going dead because of all the 'little things' in the unit that constantly draw just a little current, various monitors like the propane leak alert and so forth. When you're plugged into 110v, if your voltmeter shows about 13-14 volts coming into the battery, your on board charging system is working. If the battery goes dead pretty quickly without the 110v plugged in, it may be too old and weak to do the job anyway. If it needs replacing, get a 'deep cycle marine style' battery, not a typical car battery, as large as you can afford and will fit your battery tray.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter.../bci-group-31m
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
exjay

How old is the battery? Could it have an internal short to ground if its bad and cause that issue? Only time I hook mine up is while towing (for elect brake-away) and leave it connected while on shore pwr at the site for charging.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

(Sounds like) time for a Good Moisture Meter; GENERAL makes some now without nail probes that read % in the $30, you can find HF, Lowes or Amazon
Old 11-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

PROPANE Alarm also alerts to a LOW BATTERY and has a Low Battery Light; BUT SHOULD BE REPLACED EVERY 5-10 YEARS (READ THE LABEL TO DETERMINE); probably had a low/ bad battery and someone disconnected to silence.